Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for Perineum Numbness

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Recommendations for Perineum Numbness

Old 08-09-21, 02:41 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Yup, TRK on a dropped bar bike. I'm usually on the hoods, rarely on the drops. I think I'd prefer less padding; my shorts all have thin pads. but it's good enough. Note that I bought the first TRK via Amazon Prime, so I wasn't risking any cash - the big risk was an awful riding experience.

I don't understand the difference between 'trekking' and 'road.' I suppose 'trekking' means long, slower hours on the road, perhaps for several days in a row, while 'road' is for fast rides, but perhaps every day, but perhaps not. If that's the distinction, I can imagine a saddle that would be good for 'road' but not for 'trekking,' but I have a hard time imagining a saddle that would be comfortable for 'trekking' but not 'road'. The TRK is probably too heavy for a racer, which goes along with the padding that's too thick.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 08-11-21, 08:20 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Looking at all the above info from the OP, my guess is that the saddle is too far forward. Another very possible thing is that reach is too short and the saddle too far forward. Tilting the nose down slightly fixes the numbie, so then the issue is one of balance, i.e. not supporting much weight with the hands. I've tried riding with 7° of down-tilt and still didn't have much weight on my hands.

Photos of the OP on the bike would help a lot, hands on hoods, elbows bent, one photo with pedals vertical, one with pedals horizontal. That would also speak to the possibility that the saddle is too high. Some folks post videos of themselves on the trainer.
Old 09-08-21, 11:38 AM
Chickenwings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 56 Posts
Did my first ride with padded shorts today.....EASILY worth the 20 bucks I paid and they're providing incentive to even go higher quality. A cheap comfort boost for sure.
Likes For Chickenwings:
Old 09-29-21, 08:18 PM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
In my experience saddle numbness is caused by blood restriction when:
1. There's extraneous soft padding on the saddle causing impingement to circulation. You want your sit bones on a solid surface but not a lot of contact elsewhere. Too much padding on a saddle is very bad, and minimal is best.
2. Your sit bones are too wide for a saddle causing them to slide off the side edges causing impingement to blood flow in soft tissues as the saddle rides up between the sit bones and into your perineum.
3. Seat post is too high.
4. Saddle is too level, or front of the saddle is too high. Saddle tilted down in front works better for me especially on steep climbs. I'm willing to sacrifice some comfort on the flats for increased comfort on long climbs.