Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Completed my first-ever bike tour

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 09-05-21, 09:44 AM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 336 Posts

334mi total. What an adventure on the Ohio-To-Erie Trail!

My Kona Sutra was pretty good except for a broken spoke on the rear wheel on day 1, followed by a blown tube up front (sounded like a gun shot). I'll have to have a Clyde wheelset built if I want to keep touring.

I'll have a longer post once I have time to process my thoughts...right now I'm in recovery mode!

Strava links:
Day 1 - Cincinnati to Xenia
Day 2 - Xenia to Columbus
Day 3- Columbus to Mt. Vernon
Day 4 - Mt. Vernon to Millersburg
Day 5 - Millersburg to Massillon
Day 6 - Massillon to Akron
Day 7 - Akron to Cleveland

Last edited by a_d_a_m; 09-05-21 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-05-21, 01:34 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
Fantastic, congratulations.....that was a lot of miles for your first
Old 09-05-21, 03:38 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Congrats, sounds like a fun trip. I think a clyde wheelset would be a wise investment.
Old 09-05-21, 09:58 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 101 Posts
Congratulations!

Do the wheels have 36 spokes? In addition to the higher spoke count the spokes need to be tensioned properly. For a heavy rider the tension needs to be on the high side, otherwise the spokes will loosen when they are at the bottom of the wheel, and they will fatigue and break. You need a strong rim in order to be able to tension the spokes properly. Also, butted spokes help. For the rear wheel (which gives most of the problems) the tension of the spokes on the drive side and the non-drive side is significantly different, and it makes sense to use spokes of different thickness.

I have destroyed my rear wheel with Alex DH19 rim, will be building a one with Ryde Andra 30.
Old 09-07-21, 09:11 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Very neat to see. 7 days in a row of riding, especially when you arent at home each night, can be more than just a physical challenge.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-07-21, 09:32 AM
Gravel Rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 63 Posts
Very cool. Congratulations!
Old 09-07-21, 09:36 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Well done!

Broken spokes are usually caused by an improperly tensioned wheel. But if you only had one break, then no subsequent breaks, then it might have been just bad luck. If you get more, consider just relacing your current hub and rim with new spokes to max tension recommended by the rim manufacturer, properly stress relive, and retension. THis should get you tens of thousands of kms without another problem.
Old 09-07-21, 09:47 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
Congratulations! That was heroic.

Let us know your thoughts post tour/when you’re up to it.
How are you feeling? Was it worth it? Did you have fun?
And are you gonna do it again?
Old 09-08-21, 05:50 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
Nice job. Looks like nice trip.
Old 09-08-21, 11:32 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
Congrats! I hope it inspires you to keep going. I’ve only done a one week tour similar to yours. Now I want to go coast to coast when I get to a place I can take a few months off of work.

This cycling stuff gets kind of addictive, 😛
Old 09-10-21, 07:29 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,290 Times in 7,228 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Very neat to see. 7 days in a row of riding, especially when you arent at home each night, can be more than just a physical challenge.
Taking Amtrak up to northern Vermont tomorrow to star a tour home to Philly on Sunday. Best case scenario is 11 days of riding, with 12 days on the road. (I have an old friend who lives in Burlington, so I will be hanging out there on Sunday and Monday.) But I will likely split up one day and end up with 12 days of riding. All camping and cooking dinners is the plan. Going to cruise through my former high school in western Mass. one day.

When I crossed the country and then some way back in '99 I was out there for close to 4 months. Some days it got old.
Old 09-10-21, 07:30 AM
a_d_a_m

Thanks for the comments, all.

When I have time to make a longer post, I will do so in the touring subforum and link back in this thread.

Originally Posted by csport
Do the wheels have 36 spokes?
32. I am upgrading to a Velocity Cliffhanger as recommended by my LBS as well as the folks at Velocity.

Originally Posted by Rage
How are you feeling? Was it worth it? Did you have fun?
And are you gonna do it again?
Feeling great now that my body has recovered. Absolutely worth it and mostly fun. I will do it again. Touring is fun if you do it within your abilities (or just outside of them, for a challenge).
Old 09-15-21, 12:06 PM
a_d_a_m

Tour journal/review with lots of pictures here: https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...mber-trip.html
Likes For a_d_a_m:
Old 09-16-21, 10:41 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by a_d_a_m
32. I am upgrading to a Velocity Cliffhanger as recommended by my LBS as well as the folks at Velocity.
The 32 spokes is part of your problem…but only part. The solution to broken spokes isn’t solved by changing the rim. The rim has very little to do with the overall strength of the wheel. The solution to broken spokes is to replace the existing spokes with stronger spokes. I have built all my wheels with DT Swiss Alpine III which are a 2.3/1.8/2.0mm triple butted spokes. The thicker head makes them roughly 25% stronger than straight gauge. I regularly use very lightweight rims…Velocity A23 and Mavic XC717 mountain bike rims…without constantly breaking spokes. But I use triple butted spokes exclusively.

This article explains why we should use triple butted spokes. You might even be able to use your existing wheels but going to a 36 spoke wheel would make for a more durable wheel.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-17-21, 01:38 PM
a_d_a_m

Originally Posted by cyccommute
The 32 spokes is part of your problem…but only part. The solution to broken spokes isn’t solved by changing the rim. The rim has very little to do with the overall strength of the wheel. The solution to broken spokes is to replace the existing spokes with stronger spokes. I have built all my wheels with DT Swiss Alpine III which are a 2.3/1.8/2.0mm triple butted spokes. The thicker head makes them roughly 25% stronger than straight gauge. I regularly use very lightweight rims…Velocity A23 and Mavic XC717 mountain bike rims…without constantly breaking spokes. But I use triple butted spokes exclusively.

This article explains why we should use triple butted spokes. You might even be able to use your existing wheels but going to a 36 spoke wheel would make for a more durable wheel.
Appreciate the insight on this. I have relayed this to my LBS and made the request that the Cliffhanger I've ordered is built as such.