Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Specialized Sequoia Question

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Specialized Sequoia Question

Old 04-10-21, 03:54 AM
JBjunior

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ayo1212
Apologies for bringing up an old thread... But I referenced this thread to get a carbon fork on my Sequoia. I bought the Carbonda fork mentioned and I bought the following headset:

Cane Creek 40 ZS44/28.6 / EC49/40 Tapered Headset

I didn't have all the tools for the swap so I took it to a LBS. The first thing they mentioned was that it was the wrong headset and they would have to order the correct headset, but after a couple weeks of waiting they finally said they couldn't locate a headset that would work and gave the bike back to me.

I'm curious if you were able to make the carbonda fork work and if the above headset is correct?

Thanks
If you have the base model Sequoia, this post is relevant. If you have any of the other higher end models, the steerer tube is different.

You can't buy it as a head "set" because it isn't manufactured or available that way. You have to buy them as two separate pieces. The top is already the FSA AGY No. 1 so it doesn't need to be replaced but that is 100% the part number if you choose to do so, I already replaced mine. The bottom is the EC49/40. I have been building another bike so while I am still riding the Sequoia I haven't installed the lower yet. I suspect that your LBS went to install the top and realized it wasn't the right one and stopped or some other process that led them to not actually try to see if the bottom fit. EDIT: Or as you say above they just looked at the headset and said it was the wrong one and didn't verify anything? I recommend you give your LBS a call to see if they actually removed the bottom cup and tried to install the EC49/40 bottom part. There have been reports of varying size steerer tubes between the models years, with it already being odd ball as it is, so it is possible yours is different but I suspect they didn't actually try to install it or take measurements.

Last edited by JBjunior; 04-10-21 at 03:57 AM.
Old 04-10-21, 05:35 PM
ayo1212

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JBjunior
If you have the base model Sequoia, this post is relevant. If you have any of the other higher end models, the steerer tube is different.

You can't buy it as a head "set" because it isn't manufactured or available that way. You have to buy them as two separate pieces. The top is already the FSA AGY No. 1 so it doesn't need to be replaced but that is 100% the part number if you choose to do so, I already replaced mine. The bottom is the EC49/40. I have been building another bike so while I am still riding the Sequoia I haven't installed the lower yet. I suspect that your LBS went to install the top and realized it wasn't the right one and stopped or some other process that led them to not actually try to see if the bottom fit. EDIT: Or as you say above they just looked at the headset and said it was the wrong one and didn't verify anything? I recommend you give your LBS a call to see if they actually removed the bottom cup and tried to install the EC49/40 bottom part. There have been reports of varying size steerer tubes between the models years, with it already being odd ball as it is, so it is possible yours is different but I suspect they didn't actually try to install it or take measurements.

I called the shop this morning and he confirmed that the bottom of the EC49/40 was too small by about 1.5mm and had play in it when attempting to install.
I’m 90% sure this bike was the last year that they produced the Sequoia and it’s definitely the base model.
Old 04-12-21, 12:02 AM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Just a quick note for any Sequoia owner reading this. Both the AWOL and Sequoia are prone to cracking in the chainstays right at the tire clearance dimple. Not trying to start disputes with Specialized shop guys here, just letting people know so that they are aware they may have a problem.
Old 04-23-21, 05:40 PM
ayo1212

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found an old ad on another forum where someone was selling a Sequoia that had a Whisky carbon fork on it and they dropped the name of the shop that installed the fork.
I called the actual shop and asked what headset they used. They said it was a struggle of a job, but they eventually used this headset from FSA. I would post a link to the actual site where you can buy it, but I don't have enough posts:

NO.11AGY/NO.12B/44-S

141-0040000050

You will also need to buy a compression plug for the new carbon fork.

I called FSA and spoke to a technician about this and he said he is very aware of this situation on the Sequoia and AWOL and that the above headset is the only headset in existence that will make this swap work.

I was hoping to show a picture of my bike... because it looks sick.. but I guess I don't have enough posts for that either.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 09-27-21, 11:09 AM
Josepepe

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi, do you still have the 56 seguoia ?
Old 09-27-21, 11:18 AM
Josepepe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
sorry do you have the bike?

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Most stock wheels are trash. I am all for handbuilt wheels especially on a touring bike. Hitting a price point is all well and good for some but I don't want wheel issues on tour or riding around in general. I want reliable wheels and when I put control into a trusted builder with trusted parts I know it is much less likely to fail.
Old 09-27-21, 07:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Originally Posted by Josepepe
sorry do you have the bike?
Yes I do it is unbuilt in a box if you are interested private message me and we can chat more.
Old 09-28-21, 06:12 AM
Josepepe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Yes I do it is unbuilt in a box if you are interested private message me and we can chat more.
nice, I can’t because I’m new here, what can we do? Thanks for the reply
Old 09-29-21, 08:51 AM
Josepepe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The administrator has restricted use of the private message system to members with less than 10 posts.

send ME a mail please, thanks JOSEMGM
Old 09-30-21, 06:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Originally Posted by Josepepe
The administrator has restricted use of the private message system to members with less than 10 posts.

send ME a mail please, thanks JOSEMGM
Post more in the forums, get involved ; ) But also check your PMs as you should see a new one from me that would be helpful in communication outside this forum!
Old 10-20-21, 02:15 PM
BP84

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sequoia with Whisky Fork

Hi, new to the forum. In regards to the Whisky fork. I thought I would confirm that indeed the Whisky No9 MCX fork is a great fit for the base level 2017 Sequoia. Its evident that when removing the original boat anchor of a fork there will be something that needs to be done to the lower headset. Rather than replace any of the stock FSA parts, a new bearing for the lower headset is all thats needed. The tube must be machined to fit a new bearing for a tapered steering tube, it will not fit otherwise. A Dremel or router will work if careful. A pro bike shop should be able to handle that. The original caged bearing that sits there is pretty sad looking anyway. Im happy to report that the Whisky fork is IMO a great upgrade to this bike and along with a carbon bar the bike rides great, safely so far, and the front end feels spritely in comparison to its previous heavy weight champion of the world steel fork.