Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Water bottle Speaker

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Water bottle Speaker

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-17, 09:46 AM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Water bottle Speaker

I've been considering getting a bluetooth speaker to pop in a water bottle cage so I can have some tunes while I ride. Anyone else do this? and if so, can you recommend one that fits (and works well)?

I'm typically riding alone on back streets with little traffic.. and to be safer I really want to avoid headphones.. So, I thought this might be a good option. Keep the volume low enough to not annoy residents while still having some tunes to motivate me.
Thanks!
Old 07-25-17, 12:12 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
One of my kids got me a bottle that holds water, has a bluetooth speaker on top, a battery on the bottom with USB for charging a device, and the clear bottle lights up. It weighs a lot more than a regular bottle and I wouldn't use it for any serious riding but I like it on my MTB for pre dawn rides a few days a week. I can't remember who makes it.

Most of my ride is not on residential streets so I don't worry about bothering anyone with music coming out of the speaker.
Old 07-25-17, 12:19 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18413 Post(s)
Liked 15,536 Times in 7,328 Posts
Old 07-25-17, 12:43 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
On the cx/commuter -> UE Megaboom (fatter than a standard bottle) and a wire cage (can take the fat one and not be torn apart).. Loud enough to "entertain" those around you. Snug enough to not pop out over rough roads.

I have a split carbon cage on my backup race bike, and it also holds it securely => alston full carbon cage

NOTE: turn off the "tap to play" feature as otherwise it thinks potholes are divine commands from above and it comes on and off randomly.

UE Megaboom 2 is less expensive, less brick-like in weight, and less fat (being smaller than a standard bottle). I've seen some guys using them, but I've also seen one get ejected (and lost).

My UE Megaboom is/was expensive, but I use it around the house, kitchen, garage, back yard, travelling, etc as much as I use it on the bike. So it wasn't really a bike specific purchase for me. Also, Amazon has refurbs for less than half price.

Last edited by nycphotography; 07-25-17 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-25-17, 01:18 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Yeah, that's right. The only thing that annoys me more hiking and biking than loose dogs is . . . you guessed it. One's private space is about the span of one's arms or less in some countries. Beyond that, it's public space. Light and noise pollution are two sins of our culture. And get off my lawn (not that I have a lawn.)
Old 07-25-17, 01:32 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
That's how they do it in Brazil:

Old 07-25-17, 01:36 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
I got a cheap $20 one off of amazon. Cut the top off a water bottle and popped it in there. Sounds great and the battery life is good as well. More than loud enough for residential streets and paths. Busy, loud city streets you can hear it, but more volume would be nice.
Old 07-25-17, 01:53 PM
Laurido92

Bikes: 2019 Pinarello Prince FX 2021 Pinarello Prince Disk Canyon Grizl CF SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a JBL Charge 2+ and use it on my hybrid. I bought an expandable water bottle cage holder and works great. I've seen others use the JBL Flip which fits in the regular water bottle cages.
Old 07-25-17, 02:00 PM
motosonic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
LOL
I know.. but I'm wayyyyyy out in the woods. Where I ride there aren't many cars and the houses have long driveways. My music won't bother anyone for the most part. But it IS a consideration I am taking seriously.. Thus why I have not done this yet.
Old 07-25-17, 02:11 PM
shafter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by motosonic
LOL
I know.. but I'm wayyyyyy out in the woods. Where I ride there aren't many cars and the houses have long driveways. My music won't bother anyone for the most part. But it IS a consideration I am taking seriously.. Thus why I have not done this yet.
I think music is fine in rural settings. I got a cheap walmart speaker that can be smooshed into my plastic cages.
Old 07-25-17, 02:17 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
I got one of these littler ones for my handlebars. Use it on my commuter so people on the MUP can hear me coming rather than ringing my bell all the time. Sounds OK, BT or SDcard.

IVATION
Old 07-25-17, 02:38 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,489 Times in 4,189 Posts
I'm typically riding alone on back streets with little traffic.. and to be safer I really want to avoid headphones.
is it safer though? This past Saturday I had headphones on and was riding thru a residential neighborhood when a young girl said hi to me. She was on her lawn probably 40' away and I heard her just fine.
Wearing headphones doesnt relegate you to hearing nothing. Its quite simple to hear music and outside noise for safety.

I prefer headphones because too much sound from a bottle cage or behind the saddle gets loose and lost. It then gets raised to loud levels to offset the difficulty to hear.
handlebar speakers seem to be the best since you run into the sound when riding.
Old 07-25-17, 03:47 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Yeah, that's right. The only thing that annoys me more hiking and biking than loose dogs is . . . you guessed it. One's private space is about the span of one's arms or less in some countries. Beyond that, it's public space. Light and noise pollution are two sins of our culture. And get off my lawn (not that I have a lawn.)
Somehow I don't think light and noise are the pollution we really need to be prioritizing.

That said, until "they" decide to enforce the 80db noise limits for cars and motorcycles, I won't even start to think about what volume my bike speaker is producing.
Old 07-25-17, 04:22 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
Somehow I don't think light and noise are the pollution we really need to be prioritizing.

That said, until "they" decide to enforce the 80db noise limits for cars and motorcycles, I won't even start to think about what volume my bike speaker is producing.
Yes. Harleys are a far greater issue. Some of those guys should be thrown in jail for the noise they produce lol.
Old 07-25-17, 04:25 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
LOL
This is about the time someone chimes in and asks if you've considered bone-induction headphones (they don't go over or in your ears)? eg. Aftershokz.

But I won't do that, so don't worry.
Old 07-25-17, 04:26 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts

We all thank you for your contribution.
Old 07-25-17, 06:18 PM
nycphotography
NYC

You're welcome.
Old 07-25-17, 07:22 PM
motosonic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
This is about the time someone chimes in and asks if you've considered bone-induction headphones (they don't go over or in your ears)? eg. Aftershokz.

But I won't do that, so don't worry.
LOL I appreciate you not asking that.

I'm honestly trying to stay away from any kind of headphones as much as I can. Full disclosure..I have pretty bad tinnitus from my service and I should avoid headphones. That of course is in addition to just wanting to be a little safer while riding. I've read conflicting studies about bone-conduction headphones and frankly, I haven't read any studies that have proven them any more 'safe' (for me) than traditional headphones.
Old 07-25-17, 07:40 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
LOL
I live and ride in a rural area and I sure hope no one does it here. In an urban setting I wouldn't care, but out here it would really be an annoyance.

Although I don't mind music from passing cars or the occasional yard party on weekends. Harleys don't bother me at all. But music from a bicycle in the country is to me like music on the golf course. It just seems annoyingly out of place.

Having said all that, I'd get over it in a hurry.
Old 07-25-17, 07:40 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Disclaimer: I ride six days and 200-250 miles a week, and will often go days without seeing another cyclist. I ride at least 200 of those miles with Pandora playing over a bluetooth speaker. Because I don't live or ride in some idyllic, pastoral wonderland, I either listen to music, or get to enjoy the non-stop sounds of traffic, construction, and more traffic. If anyone has ever been annoyed by the music coming out of the aforementioned speaker-- during the 10 seconds or less I am in their earshot-- when then it is entirely within their rights to be annoyed, and every bit within mine to not give a crap. Just because someone is annoyed doesn't make them special, or right, or even worthy of consideration.

So I use a Boombotix Boombot PRO, because it's cheap, compact, waterproof, and sounds quite good. (Almost) none of the waterbottle-sized speakers seem an option to me, as they are absurdly expensive by my estimation, and a bit too porky for use on a bike. I mean, the UE Megaboom is $250 ($150 for a Boom 2) and around 2 pounds-- a Boombot PRO is 8oz, and it's the heavy one (the REX is about 6oz.) Even a "cheap" one like a JBL Charge is $75 and weighs 2 pounds. But if you're just cruising the neighborhood, any of them will do, from a $20 Boombot to a $200+ Megaboom.

Bias leans me toward a Boombot, as I've had years of luck with them, but if I were to pick one for a waterbottle cage, I'd lean toward the Scosche boomBottle, which are being cleared out on Amazon-- $35 for blue/black and $36 for yellow/black. The newer model is $125. Several positive reviews from folks using them on bikes.
Old 07-27-17, 06:44 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
I've been considering getting a bluetooth speaker to pop in a water bottle cage so I can have some tunes while I ride. Anyone else do this? and if so, can you recommend one that fits (and works well)?

I'm typically riding alone on back streets with little traffic.. and to be safer I really want to avoid headphones.. So, I thought this might be a good option. Keep the volume low enough to not annoy residents while still having some tunes to motivate me.
Thanks!
Don't be that guy. Please, I beg you.

Just get some earbuds that don't seal, so you can still hear traffic. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-MX.../dp/B005920DVA
I personally have those, they sounds really good. It won't impede your hearing any more than a speaker would.

Edit: just read you cant wear headphones. Well, how about just enjoying the chirping of the birds and the great outdoors?

Last edited by maartendc; 07-27-17 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-27-17, 07:10 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts

I may get one just to play simulated Harley engine sounds at high levels.

Old 07-27-17, 07:13 AM
motosonic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
Don't be that guy. Please, I beg you.

Just get some earbuds that don't seal, so you can still hear traffic. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-MX.../dp/B005920DVA
I personally have those, they sounds really good. It won't impede your hearing any more than a speaker would.

Edit: just read you cant wear headphones. Well, how about just enjoying the chirping of the birds and the great outdoors?
LOL it's not going to be a super-regular thing.. But, I think many of you don't get how 'rural' it is out here. There's almost no way, where I ride that anyone around me is going to hear my music. lol Maybe a car passing by, but I'm going to hear their music, too. Unless someone is out getting their mail at the end of a long driveway, they're not going to hear my music as I'm riding by. I don't live in some big city where I'm going to encounter other cyclists, pedestrians, etc. I almost never see another cyclist.. rarely I'll see someone doing yardwork. That's about it. Believe me, I'm sensitive to what others might hear/not hear. but there's a LOT of farmland out here and that's where I do a lot of my riding.
Old 07-27-17, 07:18 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Laurido92
I have a JBL Charge 2+ and use it on my hybrid. I bought an expandable water bottle cage holder and works great. I've seen others use the JBL Flip which fits in the regular water bottle cages.
I have the JBL Flip which has excellent sound quality in doors. I used it once on my bike and it was mediocre at best.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 07-27-17, 07:43 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
LOL it's not going to be a super-regular thing.. But, I think many of you don't get how 'rural' it is out here. There's almost no way, where I ride that anyone around me is going to hear my music. lol Maybe a car passing by, but I'm going to hear their music, too. Unless someone is out getting their mail at the end of a long driveway, they're not going to hear my music as I'm riding by. I don't live in some big city where I'm going to encounter other cyclists, pedestrians, etc. I almost never see another cyclist.. rarely I'll see someone doing yardwork. That's about it. Believe me, I'm sensitive to what others might hear/not hear. but there's a LOT of farmland out here and that's where I do a lot of my riding.
That sounds fine.

I see people with bluetooth speakers here in the city in Atlanta. It is SUPER obnoxious. They crank them up really loud, and then go on very busy trails (I'm talking hundreds of people over a couple of miles). I consider these people real jerks that have no respect for anyone around them.

I find it somehow more obnoxious than a car or motorcycle blaring music (even though that is obnoxious too), because a bicycle is an otherwise quiet, friendly mode of transportation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.