Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Daytime Running Lights - Get Them! Video

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-10-19, 06:13 AM
biketocamp
Banned.

Bikes: FM-296 Road Bike, Surly LHT, Superb Sprint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts

Hi everyone. I'm a big advocate of safety so I figured I drop this post here. If you're a commuter, road cyclist, touring etc. I think everyone should invest in a set of daytime running lights. Here in the Northeast Fall is approaching and as we near the ending of daylight savings time it will be getting darker earlier. I already notice the transition. These lights are just great for city riding and congested areas to poke awareness around your riding. Be safe or be sorry. Having them on in the past few weeks I felt safer than not having them on at all. So I'm recommending these. Check out the video I made in more detail below. If you're on Youtube share it with a friend and Subscribe if you dig the video and want to see more.

Old 09-10-19, 06:15 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
I'm not going to argue against anyone who runs daytime running lights on the road. I don't but there are more distracted drivers out there and maybe this helps. I do wish people would stop running bright lights on the MUPs during the day though.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 09-10-19, 06:28 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Guy should invest in a tripod, so he doesn't have to lean over so much when making his videos.

These lights are getting smaller and smaller, and maybe in a few more years, a light that small will also contain a tiny video camera, and cost under $50.
Old 09-10-19, 07:09 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I might as well run lights all the time; I turn them on at dusk, when the sun is low in the morning and again in the late afternoon when the sun is low, in the rain, and at night.

Since most motor vehicles in traffic now have daytime running lights, having your bike lights on helps drivers see you as part of traffic.

The purist in me says lights are not part of cycling. The pragmatist in me says if you're gonna ride in traffic then use mirrors, lights and a horn like the other vehicles...and I do, except for daytime lights as noted above. On the other hand, my high-visibility yellow and orange jerseys really stand out in the daylight...

I can't argue with the video.

Thanks for posting it.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 09-10-19, 09:42 AM
biketocamp
Banned.

Bikes: FM-296 Road Bike, Surly LHT, Superb Sprint

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I might as well run lights all the time; I turn them on at dusk, when the sun is low in the morning and again in the late afternoon when the sun is low, in the rain, and at night.

Since most motor vehicles in traffic now have daytime running lights, having your bike lights on helps drivers see you as part of traffic.

The purist in me says lights are not part of cycling. The pragmatist in me says if you're gonna ride in traffic then use mirrors, lights and a horn like the other vehicles...and I do, except for daytime lights as noted above. On the other hand, my high-visibility yellow and orange jerseys really stand out in the daylight...

I can't argue with the video.

Thanks for posting it.
For sure! Thanks for checking it out. I got hit by a car years ago and suffered from it for 2 years without riding. I'm big on safety and living in NYC, I advocate for everyone to have lighting on their bikes.
Likes For biketocamp:
Old 09-10-19, 10:02 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
On my daylight in-town commute, I run two tail lights (one flashing, one solid red) and a flashing headlight. My completely unscientific, n=1 experience, is that this reduces the number of close-calls with automobiles - they tend to give me wider berth.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-10-19, 10:08 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Yawn. Over in the A&S forum a cyclist was hit in broad daylight with a flasher going. At very, very high speed. I am amazed they survived at all. While nice, it is not essential that oncoming traffic see you, it is more important that trailing traffic see you, but it is even more important that you as a cyclist do not act unpredictably and force a motorist to accommodate your erratic actions. Because they may not, whether they 'see' you or not.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 09-10-19, 11:35 AM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Yawn. Over in the A&S forum a cyclist was hit in broad daylight with a flasher going. At very, very high speed. I am amazed they survived at all. While nice, it is not essential that oncoming traffic see you, it is more important that trailing traffic see you, but it is even more important that you as a cyclist do not act unpredictably and force a motorist to accommodate your erratic actions. Because they may not, whether they 'see' you or not.
Yawn all you want, but I always use obnoxiously bright daytime flashing running lights front and rear. My experience is that it definitely grabs motorists attention even more so than my fluorescent jerseys. Still, your point about cycling safety being ultimately the cyclist’s own responsibility is well taken. Cycle safely!
Old 09-10-19, 11:56 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Do you know how many times my flashing front light has caught the attention of a driver who rolls up to a stop sign on an adjacent street only to slam on their brakes preventing a T-bone situation? Drivers are looking for other cars (large objects), they are not sensitized to looking for someone on a small bike moving at a relatively high rate of speed (as compared to a walker or jogger). You can see their face do a double take before they apply the brakes.
Old 09-10-19, 02:13 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
Do you know how many times my flashing front light has caught the attention of a driver who rolls up to a stop sign on an adjacent street only to slam on their brakes preventing a T-bone situation?
Of course not. And neither can you. I'm pretty sure I've rolled up to more stop signs than you have because I'm probably 10 to 20 years your senior. I don't use a front light of any kind during daylight hours and here I is, still smiling. So, if its all the same to you, I'll keep using (nothing) what works for me. I must be missing the gene that makes people need to pull total strangers to their way of behavior. A decent 4400mah battery pack sets a person back ~$60. It's definitely useful at night. Why waste a single hour of its limited lifespan lighting up daylight? Does that make sense? Not in my opinion.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 09-10-19, 02:24 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I feel naked without my helmet and blinking lights... (Damn, I forgot to get dressed again this morning)
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 09-10-19, 02:31 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I just bought some rechargeable lights on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was surprised how much brighter they were than my old lights and they allegedly have a long battery life. On my first ride, I had some guy in a car roll down his window and yell "Nice light". At least he saw me.

I saw a video that a variable flashing light gets seen better than a steady light or a steady flashing light.
Old 09-10-19, 02:53 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
I attached a HOOOT ( https://www.amazon.com/HOOOT-Recharg.../dp/B07L7GQL44 ) red light to this mirror ( https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bell-Smar...irror/17619567 ) and transfer between bikes giving a left edge identification along with a center identification frame mounted red light under seat and my helmet mounted red light. Front is a HOOOT clear blinking with additional NightRider 650 lumen and 900 lumen for night riding.

Also have a 5,000 lumen 4 way attached to my night riding helmet and flashing blue Velcro strap light on left leg below knee.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 09-10-19 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-10-19, 03:40 PM
sumgy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
While I run lights day and night and I wear a bright pink helmet, I think for the most part that it makes no difference at all.
Biggest issue is distraction, and the excuse of "I did not see him" still being seen as a valid excuse by police.
Likes For sumgy:
Old 09-10-19, 04:01 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Thanks for the video. We all need constant reminders about safety.
Likes For berner:
Old 09-10-19, 04:09 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
"All" is a big word and no, we really don't.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 09-10-19, 04:21 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3337 Post(s)
Liked 3,436 Times in 1,737 Posts
Thanks for posting that.

I've been using bright front and rear flashers for several years. My biggest concern is having an oncoming vehicle turn in front of me while I'm descending a shaded mountain road.

A local rider was killed a few years ago on a popular mountain road, when an oncoming van turned in front of her. I usually descend that section at about 40 mph, which is the posted speed limit. Maybe a front blinker would have saved her.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 09-10-19, 04:26 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Been running my lights day or nite; dry or raining
for over 10 years now. I guess it works; still in
1 piece here in New York City:
Likes For 1nterceptor:
Old 09-10-19, 06:36 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
My Toyota has DT running lights always on. My motorcycles have lights always on and flasher kits. I know these lights will increase visibility and the further away the motorist (cager) becomes aware of you the better for them to plan to avoid you.

Cagers are not looking for motorcyclists going 100 MPH or bicyclists in black Lycra skin suits in the middle of the lane. Blinking lights definitely get my attention sooner than steady or none.
Likes For Loose Chain:
Old 09-11-19, 06:37 AM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
According to some here, all that’s needed is for drivers to take periodic test to maintain proficiency. No lights needed.

That said, I use lights during hours of darkness and about hour before and after.
Old 09-11-19, 08:13 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Yawn. Over in the A&S forum a cyclist was hit in broad daylight with a flasher going. At very, very high speed. I am amazed he survived at all. ....

Laws of Discussion Forum Comments

1) One outlier negates all other data points and observations.

​​
... I'm pretty sure I've rolled up to more stop signs than you have because I'm probably 10 to 20 years your senior. I don't use a front light of any kind during daylight hours and here I is, still smiling. So, if its all the same to you, I'll keep using (nothing) what works for me. ....

2) If nothing detrimental has occured for X years while performing act Y, nothing detrimental will ever happen.

Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
Been running my lights day or nite; dry or raining
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
for over 10 years now. I guess it works; still in

1 piece here in New York City:

Uh oh. A contradictory observation to law # 2. I'm guessing 10 years isn't long enough to be valid. Wait 10 more years.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 09-11-19, 08:31 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
"All" is a big word and no, we really don't.
This is BF A&S, what "We" need is drama, and plenty of it, day and night, on very ride.

Lights, camera, action!
Old 09-11-19, 09:12 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Sapperc
Yawn all you want, but I always use obnoxiously bright daytime flashing running lights front and rear. My experience is that it definitely grabs motorists attention even more so than my fluorescent jerseys. Still, your point about cycling safety being ultimately the cyclist’s own responsibility is well taken. Cycle safely!
Well in some countries - I know of Germany, but there might be others - that would also grab a policemans attention and result in a fine, since flashing lights are verboten in traffic there. Same goes also for front lights that don't have a beam cutoff and aren't StVZO approved.

5000 lumens as mentioned by another poster are total overkill; that is comparable to a car headlight on high beam. I certainly wouldn't want to get hit with that from oncoming traffic.
Likes For subgrade:
Old 09-11-19, 09:18 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
It would take a mountain of evidence to convince me that bicycle daytime running lights offer a safety benefit, and so far I haven't seen any. As far as I'm concerned they are just annoying.
Likes For kingston:
Old 09-11-19, 09:59 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Laws of Discussion Forum Comments

1) One outlier negates all other data points and observations.

​​

2) If nothing detrimental has occured for X years while performing act Y, nothing detrimental will ever happen.

Uh oh. A contradictory observation to law # 2. I'm guessing 10 years isn't long enough to be valid. Wait 10 more years.
Who made up the law and why should anybody give a rat's behind to it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.