Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Mountain bike wins gravel race

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Mountain bike wins gravel race

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-21, 07:57 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Honestly, drop bar 29ers have been Gravel bikes for years, especially before there were gravel frames that would accept larger tires. In watching coverage of the race, I definitely thought that this bike looked like a great choice given the low CRR values available in some MTB tires.
Old 06-16-21, 10:40 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I'm thinking there is a large contingent that wants to keep UCI out of gravel. But we'll see.
It really depends on if USAC or UCI make people choose to keep their license and if it matters to the racers. In the past if they wanted to take over a niche part of the sport they have forced the the racer's hand by telling people they can't race if they do events not sanctioned by them.
Old 06-17-21, 08:39 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
I have zero knowledge of racing and governing bodies, but I had a question:

If I don't care about professionals riding in a gravel race, and if a governing body such as UCI 'owned' (not sure the terminology) a particular race, such as Unbound, or where I live in Ontario, Canada, Paris 2 Ancaster, why would I care...assuming the event is still open to non-professionals (I presume 99% of those in such events)? If it meant that someone with a racing license could or couldn't enter an event, what would it matter to me (or 99.9% of you). I'm not trying to be confrontational, rather, as I said, I have zero knowledge of this stuff and wonder what it would mean (in a negative sense) to the non-professionals.
Old 06-17-21, 09:42 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

The thing about a race like unbound is that it would still sell out even if all the sanctioning bodies kept their riders out of it. So it probably would still be held. Being a sanctioned race adds some requirements and expense that they might not want to put up with. OTOH, those licensed riders probably bring some sponsorship money that might not be forthcoming if they weren't there.
Old 06-17-21, 12:12 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
I had a question:
why would I care...assuming the event is still open to non-professionals (I presume 99% of those in such events)? If it meant that someone with a racing license could or couldn't enter an event, what would it matter to me (or 99.9% of you).
Answer: um, it matters a LOT to me if I can't race because I'm not a member of UCI. Occasionally I'll buy a day license, but I'll always gravitate to races that don't need a license.

That has lead to me doing a lot of velodrome, Cross country, and gravel races (non UCI) - but even still sometimes I need to spend the extra $ to get a day pass to race.

I'm fine with the roadies needing UCI license - I'll get a day pass when I really want to do one of those. But I would prefer not to have them do Gravel events.
Old 06-18-21, 11:09 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Who cares? Well, directly relevant to the matter, the UCI, for one.
Very interesting.... How does, or does, the UCI distinguish MTB vs road vs gravel? Tire size? Suspension? Frame geometry? I guess I could look it up, but I'm curious if and what's been addressed. My vague rudimentary knowledge is that there's some frame and positioning rules for road and time trial, tire size for cross, but that's it (for my vague and rudimentary knowledge &#128521. I have no idea beyond that and know nothing about standards, of any, for MTB and gravel
Old 06-18-21, 11:21 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3134 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Very interesting.... How does, or does, the UCI distinguish MTB vs road vs gravel? Tire size? Suspension? Frame geometry? I guess I could look it up, but I'm curious if and what's been addressed. My vague rudimentary knowledge is that there's some frame and positioning rules for road and time trial, tire size for cross, but that's it (for my vague and rudimentary knowledge &#128521. I have no idea beyond that and know nothing about standards, of any, for MTB and gravel
It has been addressed upthread, yes, and while the UCI is not sanctioning gravel now, it has said that it plans to, and based on the very stringent definitions of things like geometry and equipment which the UCI imposes on their existing disciplines, it is *extremely* likely they will tightly define what constitutes a gravel bike for their sanctioned events.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 06-18-21, 01:32 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
I have zero knowledge of racing and governing bodies, but I had a question:

If I don't care about professionals riding in a gravel race, and if a governing body such as UCI 'owned' (not sure the terminology) a particular race, such as Unbound, or where I live in Ontario, Canada, Paris 2 Ancaster, why would I care...assuming the event is still open to non-professionals (I presume 99% of those in such events)? If it meant that someone with a racing license could or couldn't enter an event, what would it matter to me (or 99.9% of you). I'm not trying to be confrontational, rather, as I said, I have zero knowledge of this stuff and wonder what it would mean (in a negative sense) to the non-professionals.
for gravel, I don’t think matters very little. I think it’s cool when you get some of these former pro roadies involved but it doesn’t affect my decision to race or not race. Something like unbound is just a challenging event to complete. That’s the reason to enter.
Old 06-18-21, 01:53 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
It has been addressed upthread, yes, and while the UCI is not sanctioning gravel now, it has said that it plans to, and based on the very stringent definitions of things like geometry and equipment which the UCI imposes on their existing disciplines, it is *extremely* likely they will tightly define what constitutes a gravel bike for their sanctioned events.
Sure, they will place restrictions on equipment.

That doesnt mean gravel racing as a whole will change- nothing I enter will be UCI regulated. Maybe some events do change. Maybe current events continue on and new events are created for UCI racing.
Who knows. Your doomsday prediction earlier seems excessive.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-18-21, 01:55 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Noonievut Racing regulation reaches far down below the most prestigious races. (Hence jokes about "Cat 6" racers). If a race like Unbound is regulated, and very popular, then you need to qualify for it, and the demand for that means that smaller and smaller events also come under regulation so that people can earn their license, their categories, their points, etc. etc. And pretty soon you have the top event full of people on reasonably identical bicycles and all the innovations are how to beat the pee testing, shut out your opposing team so you star rider is the only one who gets to win, or otherwise evade the rules or not get caught cheating.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 06-21-21, 04:55 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Chaad could be one of two people:

1. David Lappartient infiltrating these boards to test the waters of internet gravel culture by posting mysterious gravel sanction threats.
2. Someone who was riding a rigid fork at Unbound and Lael passed them comfortably on her amazing gravel rig.
Likes For Hmmm:
Old 06-21-21, 08:02 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Jan Heine interviewed Lael about why she rode the mountain bike instead of her gravel bike.
https://www.renehersecycles.com/lael...ut-unbound-xl/
Old 06-21-21, 08:26 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by DarKris
I love my drop bar MTB. It’s my preferred bike for casual riding but it might be good for a hardcore gravel race

Man I love your bikes!
Likes For Metieval:
Old 06-22-21, 07:40 PM
pipeliner

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by surveyor6
Impressive that she bested a bunch of roadies on an MTB on the gravel, with a suspension fork.
Look at that o-ring on her fork. Used 80% of the travel on a 2 day race...
Likes For pipeliner:
Old 06-22-21, 08:07 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I wonder if she ever messes with that o-ring. To my shame, I almost never do.

But the XL course had some rough spots on it from the pictures I have seen.
Old 06-23-21, 01:57 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Jan Heine interviewed Lael about why she rode the mountain bike instead of her gravel bike.
https://www.renehersecycles.com/lael...ut-unbound-xl/
Thanks for that.

that description solidifies my opinion. If I'm doing a 24 hour (sleep deprived) rough road gravel race (in the dark), big tires and a suspension fork are going to be a big plus for me.
If I'm doing a 1-4 hour race, a lighter stiffer bike (40mm tires) would be my choice.
It seems like most people used 40mmish sized tires unless they were doing the 24hr XL.