Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ever buy a bike without a test ride?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-03-21, 08:20 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

I am toying with the idea of buying a new bike. Early days, more of a pipe dream than anything else at this moment in time. BUT many of the bike stores are out of stock. And the bike I am interested in is not available from many of the local shops.

So, I'm curious. Have any of you bought your bike without doing a test ride? If so, how did it go and would you do it again?

Thank you.
Old 09-03-21, 08:30 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
No, not unless you include the first bike I was given by my parents when about 4 yo.

Though I might be okay purchasing online if it was a similar geometry and style bike I already have experience with. If I had no clue about bike fitting and geometry and had to ask people here for their opinion then I might not buy online.

So do you have a clue? <grin>
Old 09-03-21, 08:34 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Bought two of these. One White then got a Bargain deal on the Red One.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 09-03-21, 08:34 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I’ve never test ridden a bike. Had a custom bike built after being fitted on a test jig and at least 5 other bikes online or used. Once you have a bike that fits comfortably you should be able to determine if another bike can achieve the same fit points. Knowing the stack and reach of your current bike and the ones you’re contemplating is essential.
Old 09-03-21, 08:38 AM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
I bought a bike without test riding it, I spent ages comparing geometry charts to check they were similar to my current bike before buying though!

Last edited by sw20; 09-03-21 at 08:49 AM.
Likes For sw20:
Old 09-03-21, 08:43 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
I've had quite a few custom framesets but all of my off the peg bike and frame purchases have been without a test ride. I do study frame geometry charts though and know what to avoid (mainly short head tubes).
Old 09-03-21, 08:44 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
My last two bikes were bought without a test ride. The Domane SL5 was from an LBS and my R3 Disc was bought as a frameset online. No regrets with either, but I was pretty careful about looking at geometry ahead of time and making sure that I was getting the right size frame.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-03-21, 08:47 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
I’ve had so many bikes over the years— guesstimate: 23— but I don’t think I test rode any of them pre-purchase. I vaguely recall test riding something like a Stumpjumper around E. Lansing in the early ‘90s, but I didn’t buy it.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 09-03-21, 08:52 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Lots of them, all C&V. Once you get your sizing down, it's not difficult.
Likes For seypat:
Old 09-03-21, 09:05 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10103 Post(s)
Liked 5,783 Times in 3,112 Posts
I bought most of my bikes, including a custom frame, unridden. I would have to live with a bike for 200 mi, switch to another bike for a few days, and come back for another ride to really know if I liked it.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 09-03-21, 09:12 AM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
I've bought every bike, 15+, without a test ride. I know the geometry I like, plus I'm adaptable and the bikes are adjustable.
Likes For Jack Tone:
Old 09-03-21, 09:22 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Quoted: 10060 Post(s)
Liked 5,040 Times in 2,152 Posts
my two current bikes were both bought without a test ride, and my next bike will be bought without a test ride as well.

Those who know me, Know I get stressed out about the bike fit. The first first two bikes I didn’t get all that much help, one was bought new from CC, and the other was bought used on Craiglist. I use a geometry comparison website, as well as the actual data from the brands. The next purchase both shops have been really helpful determining fit. Still stresses me out though.
Old 09-03-21, 09:29 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 129 Posts
I bought my Lynskey without a test ride, but I may not have purchased it if I had gone on a test ride. Nothing wrong with the fit/geometry, mind you - she fits fine. Her two issues come from tire clearance and wheel choice.

- Tire clearance. When Lynskey stated that there was clearance for 28mm tires, they were being dead serious - not a millimeter more. Problem is, the bike came fitted with Continental Ultra Sport 2s in 28mm, which actually inflate to about 31.6mm, resulting in little more than a single millimeter of clearance on each side - the bike 'growled' on my first couple of rides when I got out of the saddle, and it took me a couple of days to realize that the growl was actually tire rub against the chainstay. If I had figured this out on a test ride, I might not have passed on the bike, but I would at least have requested installation of tires that actually fit.

- Wheel choice. Bike came with the option of Vision Team 30s, or for an upcharge, Stans Notubes of some variety. The Stans had a max pressure of 85PSI, which seemed a bit low to me - at the time, I was riding 100psi on 25mm tires, and I currently ride 90psi on my rear wheel, 80 on front. This left the Visions, which are heavy, slow to spin up, and in general, make the bike feel more lethargic than it ought to. A bike shop may have been willing to work with me on other wheel options, but if I had known how unfortunate the Visions felt, I may have looked elsewhere. These days, Lynskey allows for an upgrade to HED AR wheels, which I likely would've picked - 325g lighter (claimed weights) and 21mm internal width make for a more appealing option.

So yes, meeting the bike in person and having a test ride could definitely help you form opinions, or at least give you the opportunity to trade out some bits that don't work as well as you'd like.

I like my Lynskey, but I'm also aware that she's not 100% perfect. I guess that's why there's always n+1.
Old 09-03-21, 09:31 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 120 Posts
I have never bought a bike as such and done a test ride at all. Probably because I am not buying a Trek, Specialized. or Giant bike that the LBS sells. I have never even bought a bike at a LBS. Maybe I am an odd duck. I might add I have never bought a bike that I was not completely happy with either.
Old 09-03-21, 09:44 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,596 Times in 5,943 Posts
Now that I think about it, I realize I've only test ridden 2 of my 8 bikes. Two others were bought online - after obsessively poring over the geometry tables, and the other 4 weren't in rideable condition - one being just a naked frame.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-03-21, 09:48 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
There is a poster here (I think) whose signature is something like, "By the time you know enough about yourself and bikes to get any valuable information out of a test ride, you don't need a test ride."

Basically, you can't tell anything by ten minutes on the roads around the bike shop. it probably takes at least an hour for your body to really react tot the sizing .... or longer if you are more fit. It would probably take an hour to figure out how the bike actually worked for you ... . to notice and understand the new feelings over bumps, around corners, under hard braking and acceleration.

And by the time you know enough about riding, and how you want to ride, and what you wanted a bike to do, you would probably have ridden enough bikes and studied enough geometry charts that you could look at the numbers and the parts spec and know enough to make a choice.

The only time a test ride is Absolutely essential is when buying used, when you need to learn a whole lot about a bike in a hurry, because buying used, you really can't count on returning it if two days later yuo find some major flaw .... possibly a flaw the seller was hiding.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-03-21, 10:00 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
I'm a casual rider and of average height with I guess what you would call normal proportions. As a kid a great many of my bikes were purchased solely on if I could straddle the top tube and reach the pedals. I'm almost 57 now and I have enough of an understanding of what works for my needs I don't know that I would have a lot of reservations buying online especially if there was a decent return policy.

Like everything bicycles though, this isn't a one size fits all thing literally and figuratively. Like others have stated, research what you need well. Especially if you are planning on going from something like a mountain bike to road bike in which case I'd strongly suggest a test ride on something at least similar to what you are looking at.

Old 09-03-21, 10:23 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8185 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,391 Posts
Most of my 15ish bikes have been purchased as frames except my newest mtb, which was bought sight unseen by looking at geo charts.
I bought my main road bike used so I did test ride that one. It felt absolutely horrible but I knew I could make it work, so I got it.

It's funny how when a person asks about buying a new bike on BF, they get the advice of test ride, test ride, test ride.
Then a thread like this comes up and everyone says they never test ride.

Last edited by big john; 09-03-21 at 10:27 AM.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-03-21, 10:31 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I've never test ridden a new bike. Don't see the purpose.
Old 09-03-21, 11:25 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
It's funny how when a person asks about buying a new bike on BF, they get the advice of test ride, test ride, test ride.
Depends on the buyer.

I usually suggest sitting on a bunch of bikes and learning a lot about how each bike fits, to get a feel for what the buyer likes.

I also assume (as that quote mentioned) that anyone coming here and asking for general bike-buying advice does Not know what all of us know and therefore Cannot make the judgments we can make. If you notice, almost every post starts with "my last 15 bikes," or the last 23 bikes i bought .... " Most of the people coming here for general assistance are more like, "I found a bike in a garage" or "my dad gave me a bike" and have zero clue.

For someone who has very little knowledge .... sure, sit on the bike if at all possible.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-03-21, 11:32 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I have never test ridden a bike.

Once you know what fits you, it is really superfluous, and local bike shops rarely have the better models on hand, particularly in my size.
Old 09-03-21, 11:36 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by big john
Most of my 15ish bikes have been purchased as frames except my newest mtb, which was bought sight unseen by looking at geo charts.
I bought my main road bike used so I did test ride that one. It felt absolutely horrible but I knew I could make it work, so I got it.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-03-21, 11:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,287 Times in 7,226 Posts
My last two road bikes have been custom frame jobs, so yes. Another two road bikes were built of from framesets. Didn't test them first either. The Bike Friday was also a custom build.
Old 09-03-21, 11:43 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I would have to live with a bike for 200 mi, switch to another bike for a few days, and come back for another ride to really know if I liked it.
I feel exactly the same way. A short test ride around the parking lot of an LBS does not tell you much. (Even motor vehicle dealers allow overnight test drives.) What I am afraid of is doing what you described here, then deciding my existing road bike rides better than my new one. This fear is holding me back from N+1.
Old 09-03-21, 11:55 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I feel exactly the same way. A short test ride around the parking lot of an LBS does not tell you much. (Even motor vehicle dealers allow overnight test drives.) What I am afraid of is doing what you described here, then deciding my existing road bike rides better than my new one. This fear is holding me back from N+1.
The key is always buying cheaper bikes than your existing one, so you don't feel so bad if they don't measure up.

Likes For genejockey:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.