Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized Roubaix w/Sram Apex - Opinions Please

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-11, 01:29 PM
CarolinaGuy
Either Writing or Riding

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Roubaix - SRAM Apex Groupset

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not that I expect anyone here to have opinions.

I've been test riding plenty of bikes, and have pretty much narrowed it down to the Roubaix Comp, and am now debating between the 105 groupset and the Sram Apex. I currently run a triple on a relatively heavy Kinesis frame with 105 on the back, and Tiagra on the front. I don't use the granny ring often, but there are some times late in the day when I will sneak the chain down there for the final climb home.

I think I'm OK with the ratios on the Apex compact setup, and the although the double-tap shifting will take some getting used to, I think it's pretty intuitive. My main concern is reliability of the Apex group and any input folks have on the non-S-Works Roubaix frame, fork, etc.

As background, I generally ride 100-150+ miles a week at 30-50 miles per outing, with a few longer ones on occasion and at least one pretty fast group ride each week. Main reasons for upgrading are to get a somewhat of a plusher ride to make extending to those 60-80 mile rides more comfortable, while staying light enough to not give up any ground to the young bucks on the group rides.

So... thoughts on the Apex group and the Roubaix? Just want to make sure I'm not looking at second thoughts in six months before I get up off my wallet.
Old 05-27-11, 01:39 PM
badhat
impressive member

Bikes: c'dale supersix, jamis trilogy, spec. tricross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
apex is well build and totally reliable and shifts well.

the nice thing about going that way is you can swap cassettes and have a less severe every day gearing but with just the sway to a cassette with a 34 youre all set for steeper stuff with no weight penalty or mechanical clunkiness from a triple.
Old 05-27-11, 01:47 PM
CarolinaGuy
Either Writing or Riding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badhat
apex is well build and totally reliable and shifts well.

the nice thing about going that way is you can swap cassettes and have a less severe every day gearing but with just the sway to a cassette with a 34 youre all set for steeper stuff with no weight penalty or mechanical clunkiness from a triple.
That's a good thought on the cassettes, and I definitely like the idea of not having to tweak the front derailleur every few hundred miles or so.
Old 05-27-11, 01:47 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
We just bought my wife the Ruby Elite Apex so I hope it's very good. Seems like a nice build to me and the LBS swapped the bars, stem and saddle for no cost during the fitting (all included in the cost of the bike). Honestly she hasn't ridden it yet as we picked it up on Thursday and then got in the car for vacation...should be able to provide more feedback on Tuesday assuming the weather is good. I do like the ratios with that big cassette on it.
Old 05-27-11, 01:48 PM
K&K_Dad
Schleckaholic

Bikes: '08 Trek 1.2, Schwinn Avenue Hybrid, '11 GT Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
it has SRAM. nuff said.

Double tap is easy. You could put a closer cassette and a Rival RD on and not worry about the 'huge gaps' in gears.
Old 05-27-11, 01:55 PM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have Rival on my cross bike and just got a new cross bike with Apex and will be only switching the shifters so that i can enjoy that 32 tooth cassette.
Old 05-27-11, 02:03 PM
Painful Chafe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sram shifting will become second nature. There is actually less thinking involved for me compared to when I had to learn Shimano road shifting. I switched from mountain biking a year ago and then switched from Shimano to Sram 3 months ago.
Old 05-27-11, 02:03 PM
CarolinaGuy
Either Writing or Riding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by K&K_Dad
it has SRAM. nuff said.

Double tap is easy. You could put a closer cassette and a Rival RD on and not worry about the 'huge gaps' in gears.
Yeah, after reading Apex reviews, I was expecting to really notice the "huge gaps" in the gearing when I rode it. I noticed them, but "huge" is obviously a relative term. (At least that's what I've been telling my wife for years.)
Old 05-27-11, 02:24 PM
springs

Bikes: Emonda SLR, Salsa Warbird carbon

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CarolinaGuy
Yeah, after reading Apex reviews, I was expecting to really notice the "huge gaps" in the gearing when I rode it. I noticed them, but "huge" is obviously a relative term. (At least that's what I've been telling my wife for years.)
Ditto. I just bought a Rival bike and had the LBS put on an 11-32 and Rival mid-cage. I don't notice any "gaps", but I do notice the 32 on the many steep hills around here. I've gone from 12-25 to 11-28 to 11-32 and each was an improvement.
Old 05-27-11, 02:33 PM
Adrianinkc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apex is good stuff and it's very similar to rival's performance.
Old 05-27-11, 02:41 PM
CarolinaGuy
Either Writing or Riding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the in put on the Apex... pretty much what I expected to hear, but it's good to have that validated.

Not to get picky about opinions, but any input on the Roubaix frame/fork? Again, I'm looking at the "lower end" Comp SL2 frame. My wallet cannot afford the S-Works, and frankly, my legs and lung capacity don't warrant it anyway. As an aside, the stock wheels are Mavic CXP-22's, so I'll probably trade them in (coupled with some cash) for an upgrade if/when I pull the trigger.
Old 05-27-11, 03:17 PM
sqharaway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since everyone is validating Apex, I'll add my two cents and say that the shifting on my 105 group has always been a little finicky. I'd go SRAM, with no hesitation.

Also, I have a Tarmac Comp frame and it's been great! I can't imagine the Roubaix is much different, aside from the geometry.
Old 05-27-11, 03:20 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by sqharaway
Since everyone is validating Apex, I'll add my two cents and say that the shifting on my 105 group has always been a little finicky. I'd go SRAM, with no hesitation.

Also, I have a Tarmac Comp frame and it's been great! I can't imagine the Roubaix is much different, aside from the geometry.
Just so you know, that is a huge difference.
Old 05-27-11, 03:32 PM
RoboCheme

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2011 Scott CR1 Elite, 2014 Volagi Liscio

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You might also consider the Cannondale Carbon Synapse 6 Apex. MSRP is $300 less and basically the same bike. My friend loves his.

I switched from Shimano DA to Rival and it took me all of half a ride to get comfortable. I much prefer Double Tap
Old 05-27-11, 03:53 PM
Kind of Blued

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the bike, it rocks. Like everyone else has said, Apex shifts very well and has required no maintenance so far. Since you've found that Apex is quality, I'll mention the only things about the bike that I don't love.

The wheels are strong, but super heavy.

The saddle is the cheapest road saddle Specialized makes, is very narrow, and has too much padding in my opinion. Stock saddles are usually be replaced anyway.

The crankset is the heaviest crankset that SRAM makes, and the bottom bracket is one of the heaviest on the market.

These parts are all heavy, but work perfectly. The brakes, however, have mediocre stopping power and the cam used to open the calipers for a tire change is poorly designed.

As for the 11-32 cassette, the 32t cog is a lifesaver at times, and not neccesary at others. If you intend to upgrade the wheels, you might consider a narrower cassette so you can choose depending on the terrain. Personally, I'm planning on putting some 28c tires on the stock wheels and using them when I do mountain rides with gravel sections, otherwise it'll be lighter wheels with a more narrow range cassette.
Old 05-27-11, 04:03 PM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've run 28 All Condition Specialized tires on my Roubaix and it did fine. Just fine. Don't put too much pressure though. No reason to go over 80#. For the last year, I've been running 25 Conti 4000 and they are even better. I put 80# in these too and the ride is very nice. They will do fine on gravel also, though if its rough riding the the 28 might be better suited.

The drive train is a matter of preference. I have tried Sram Red and just could not get used to it. Apex is probably better as its a later model.
Old 05-27-11, 04:45 PM
pbd

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by badhat
Just to be clear, you can't put a 34 cog on the medium cage Apex (standard on the Roubaix Elite), which has a max range of 32. You'd have to go to a long cage which can handle up to a 36 cog.

You can get the short cage (28 max) and medium cage (32 max) on Rival as well. My new bike that is on its way to me now has the medium-cage Rival derailleur for use with an 11-32 cassette, I'm very much looking forward to spinning up some hills on it.
Old 05-27-11, 04:59 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by NealH
I've run 28 All Condition Specialized tires on my Roubaix and it did fine. Just fine. Don't put too much pressure though. No reason to go over 80#. For the last year, I've been running 25 Conti 4000 and they are even better. I put 80# in these too and the ride is very nice. They will do fine on gravel also, though if its rough riding the the 28 might be better suited.

The drive train is a matter of preference. I have tried Sram Red and just could not get used to it. Apex is probably better as its a later model.
28mm Conti GP4000 on a Roubaix? Must feel like rollin' in a mack daddy Caddy!
Old 05-27-11, 05:27 PM
Muffin Man
:)

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, Specialized Rockhopper, Norco Fluid FS1

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
what about ultegra vs. apex?
Old 05-27-11, 05:49 PM
CarolinaGuy
Either Writing or Riding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kind of Blued
I have the bike, it rocks. Like everyone else has said, Apex shifts very well and has required no maintenance so far. Since you've found that Apex is quality, I'll mention the only things about the bike that I don't love.

The wheels are strong, but super heavy.

The saddle is the cheapest road saddle Specialized makes, is very narrow, and has too much padding in my opinion. Stock saddles are usually be replaced anyway.

The crankset is the heaviest crankset that SRAM makes, and the bottom bracket is one of the heaviest on the market.

These parts are all heavy, but work perfectly. The brakes, however, have mediocre stopping power and the cam used to open the calipers for a tire change is poorly designed.

As for the 11-32 cassette, the 32t cog is a lifesaver at times, and not neccesary at others. If you intend to upgrade the wheels, you might consider a narrower cassette so you can choose depending on the terrain. Personally, I'm planning on putting some 28c tires on the stock wheels and using them when I do mountain rides with gravel sections, otherwise it'll be lighter wheels with a more narrow range cassette.
Great information... Thanks!

A wheel upgrade is almost a certainty, and the shop I'm dealing with is offering credit on the stock saddle and wheels should I want to change them. I hate to hear that about the brakes... the Tektro's I'm currently running are crap, and I was hoping these would be a significant upgrade. I see at least two cassettes in my future... one for long rides with lots of climbing, one for the weekly hammerfest.
Old 05-27-11, 06:19 PM
3373jones

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i have apex on one of my bikes. NO complaints. i've ridden 105, rival, ultegra, and dura ace - and it stands with the best of them. (just switch the crankset).
Old 05-27-11, 06:45 PM
IcySmooth52

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding Apex on my new ride this season and as far as the shifting goes, it's as nice as Rival. It's just not as light. I'll be getting a smaller cassette and Rival derailleur due to my riding style, but I think the gear ratios are well thought out and don't have huge gaps.

Rival actually has a RD and cassette available with the same ratios as Apex.
Old 05-31-11, 10:34 AM
urbanlegend
toronto tonto

Bikes: 2011 specialized roubaix elite apex - 2010 giant rapid 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've put over 500 km on my 2011 specialized roubaix elite. it's got the sram apex grouppo you are looking at and i've found it to be a great bike and the shifting has been no problem at all. i was coming from a hybrid so i didn't have any pre-conceived notions of shimano vs sram shifting but the sram shifting has become second nature to me.

i found a big difference in overall ride smoothness between the sl2 frame on the roubaix and the aluminum frame on the giant rapid 3 i was riding previously. i just did my first metric century and was about as comfortable as i could be under the circumstances.

overall i am perfectly pleased with the roubaix elite and the sram apex. if you like it, go for it.

j
Old 05-31-11, 11:12 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Just a quick further note on Apex: I've installed the group (well Apex/Rival mix) on my bike this Spring, and so far it has been great.
Caveat: I use flat bars, but the shifters are true double-tap/10spd (sort of Rival + level).
Apex crank (50/34), front/rear der., Rival cassette 12-32 and chain.
Shifting is great (fast and accurate), and I don't notice 'gaps' at all, but do use the bigger cogs at times on hills.
One note: as someone else pointed out, the crank on the Roubaix Comp Apex isn't Apex; it's from a lower series and somewhat heavier (if that matters).
Old 05-31-11, 11:19 AM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FWIW, the entry level Roubaix of 2011 is a huge step up from the 2010 version - they did a great thing when they used the SL2 molds for the Elite and the Comp. I rode a Tarmac Comp 2010 was way impressed with my friend's SL2 in comparison. So much that I ended up selling the 2010 and getting a 2011 SL3 (only reason I went for the SL3 is because it was available in a frameset and I work in a shop). The same thing happened with the Roubaix and the Elite is an awesome bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.