Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

what's your dream frame?

Old 11-24-14, 02:02 PM
sickz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what's your dream frame?

if money is no object, which off the shelf frame would you prefer to pilot?

lets hear it!
Old 11-24-14, 02:27 PM
misterwaterfall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When does racing start again?
Old 11-24-14, 03:22 PM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sickz

lets hear it!
One that fits
Old 11-24-14, 03:24 PM
Jared.
Uninformed Senior Member

Bikes: Dolan Pre Cursa, Cannondale R400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

lets hear it!
Please stop.
Old 11-24-14, 06:34 PM
sickz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just trying to liven up a slow forum. grouchy.
Old 11-24-14, 07:02 PM
wens

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's slow because everyone is busy training, and there's only one indoor track in the country most of the members inhabit...
Old 11-24-14, 07:36 PM
Jared.
Uninformed Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just trying to liven up a slow forum. grouchy.
It's slow for a reason. The contributors here are typically high level racers. If they aren't high level they are very experienced. When they post information here it is of a higher caliber than info posted in other subforums. Most people here don't post junk.

Talking about "dream frames" is junk. The racers in this forum ride on a variety of frames, many of which are of a very high quality. The frame is also one of the last components a lot of racers worry about. I would also venture to guess few if any posters here care what other posters view as their dream frame.

I don't contribute much because I am new at track racing, training, bicycle racing in general. The beauty of this particular subforum is that I don't have to wade through useless posts to read quality information.
Old 11-24-14, 08:19 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Wow.

I'll take a BT.
Old 11-25-14, 07:24 PM
Impreza_aL

Bikes: yellow tricycle di2 grip shifters

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Wow.

I'll take a BT.
yes... swoon...

Old 11-26-14, 09:20 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
So maybe I'm an outlier here, and maybe not, but even though I race at a somewhat high level (I'm national-level pack fill, but if more Real Pros raced track then I probably wouldn't be there, I'd just be some local schmuck), I am content to ride whatever.

Not in a "I get free bikes" sort of way, because I don't.

As long as it fits, doesn't handle like a stale turd, and is reasonably well made (a fairly low bar), hell, I'll race it. There's such a low bar for what makes a decent track bike - what a track bike needs to be. Especially for me since I'm a lightweight, low-power kind of racer.

But yeah, you can line up the mid-range aluminum frames next to the high-end carbon superbikes and I'll still go "eh, i'll take whatever."
Old 11-26-14, 10:55 AM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

lets hear it!
If I had the money I would search down and buy (if it still exists) the chrome plated Carlton frame/bike that Tom Simpson rode around the end of 50s/start of 60s. Just to hang on my wall as a piece of art.
Old 11-26-14, 02:20 PM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive been a big fan of the L96. Based on what this setup costs, it would be easier to try and get on the national team and get one for free than to buy one lol

Old 11-26-14, 02:42 PM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tend to agree with @queerpunk on this.

if I could find an aluminum frame with a long low top tube like my DF3 or if Tiemeyer was still in business and able to repair my custom frame- Id be on aluminum instead of carbon..

I'm on a CAAD10 on the road- and I've just found that I always prefer the slightly jarring ride of a very stiff aluminum frame..
Old 11-28-14, 08:08 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 744 Posts
--dupe

Last edited by DMC707; 11-28-14 at 08:21 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 11-28-14, 08:15 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 744 Posts
I understand JAred's sentiments --- i am an infrequent poster here , -- I am not a national level rider today , but had a good run for 3 or 4 years more than a decade ago before the realities of having to make a living got in the way of my high level racing aspirations (the travel killed it for me)

BEen a cyclist for 27 years and a trackie since 1998.

Sounds funny , but for my needs and current sensibilities -- the steel Waterford i have hanging up in my garage is already my dream track bike.
I am just fickle and petty enough that i wouldn't ride something that is ugly to my eyes unless it was head and shoulders better ---- for instance , - if i was routinely losing races by the width of a tire , or even a half wheel ---- yes, at that point i would look into other opportunities
-- That said - in the event that it looked like my bike was actually holding me back --
I would travel to Ri-fle , Colorado to Mr Yamaguchi's custom shop and see if he could make me something burly. I believe he could make me a serious "point n shoot" race weapon that still pleased my aesthetic sensibilities --- given the weight of a lot of the carbon wonder-sprinters out there, i think we could keep the weight within a similar spectrum

Aside from that --- a lot of the carbon frames now were designed a generation ago and have just survived with updates , and not much genuine innovation --- I'm sure any of them would do nicely ---- Corima , BT, Bridgestone, , etc. - as long as i could get proper positioning, one seems as good as another

Look seems to be throwing some modern innovation into their rigs and i dont know what kind of magic the Brit's are working in their back-room workshops

----- So, i guess if not the bike i already own , -- a dream rig for me would be a gusseted out Yamaguchi -- i may get one anyway before he retires
But............ if i were to make a serious run at Masters class glory now that i am age eligible -- i have said before , i would just procure an off the shelf Dolan and be done with it - good enough for Steve Hill, Sky Christopherson and a slew of others , then good enough for me (and the 'Guchi for mass start stuff - just because it makes me happy )

Similar to my experiences as an outdoorsman --- i resisted the urge to go with modern stuff made of plastic for years , - as a bow hunting sidearm, i preferred a 6 shot .357 magnum Colt revolver ---- recently, i picked up a Glock in 10mm (similar power to the 357 magnum) - it holds 15 rounds with the same weight as my more old school Colts and S&W's. The old stuff is still effective , and still gets used , -- but when i am in an area where things with lots of fangs and claws are walking around, i've switched over to the new stuff
Old 11-30-14, 12:49 AM
sergioflorez

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
a walser for me, walser drivetrain, comfy stem - compact road drops. i dont hear anything about them ever. i tried to contact via email for more information about the track bike years ago. never heard back.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
M4_normal.jpg (13.8 KB, 49 views)
grenoble-b-walser.jpg (37.1 KB, 40 views)
grenoble-b-white.jpg (32.2 KB, 34 views)
grenoble-b-rearhub.jpg (41.2 KB, 35 views)
grenoble-b-clamp.jpg (38.1 KB, 32 views)
grenoble-b-bb.jpg (20.3 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by sergioflorez; 11-30-14 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-30-14, 09:20 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Those are crazy bikes. I've seen Marvulli's up close a couple times, and... man... it's weird.
Old 11-30-14, 11:16 AM
sergioflorez

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
walser have a link to focus bikes on their website. dont know the connection or anything about them.

The Walsers are different, they are very narrow at the bottom bracket and rear hub to give good air-flow and have no seat clamp. The airfoil seat pillar is an interfernce wedge fit and so has to be cut exactly right for the rider. Many big names have ridden Walsers “badge engineered” to suit their sponsors, among them Jan Ulrich, ‘chrono-man’ Michael Rich and world pursuit champion, Robert Bartko.
Grenoble06: Six Day Tech - PezCycling News
Old 12-02-14, 11:33 AM
WhatsYoCadence
Annoying Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quinn8it
if I could find an aluminum frame with a long low top tube
The All-city Thunderdome has somewhat of a long top tube.
Old 12-02-14, 11:46 AM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhatsYoCadence
The All-city Thunderdome has somewhat of a long top tube.
at first glance you are right-
and the Thunderdome was on my radar as a possible alt frame to take some heat off my race bike.

but if you look at the Geo chart compared to Dolan/Serenity/Felt
the All City has a Short Reach- and High TT.. the biggest Thunderdome has 1CM less reach than my 57 DF3 AND 10CM More Stack!
Old 12-05-14, 12:47 PM
i_am_death

Bikes: Colossi Low Pro Ltd. / IRO mk. V pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haven't been doing this long, but I have up graded myself three times in the last few years. As soon ( and I mean AS SOON) as I get the new ride built up, I find something more exciting. Even if I could afford the slickest racing machine on the planet, I guarantee, as soon as I get it I'll want something else. I guess that's whats day dreaming is for.
Old 12-05-14, 01:12 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by i_am_death
Haven't been doing this long, but I have up graded myself three times in the last few years. As soon ( and I mean AS SOON) as I get the new ride built up, I find something more exciting. Even if I could afford the slickest racing machine on the planet, I guarantee, as soon as I get it I'll want something else. I guess that's whats day dreaming is for.
We all do this

When it comes to bikes, I have more money than sense.
Old 12-06-14, 05:57 PM
sgtdirt

Bikes: KHS Grit 400, Redline Conquest SS, Redline MonoCog SS,2014 Felt TK3,

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jared.
It's slow for a reason. The contributors here are typically high level racers. If they aren't high level they are very experienced. When they post information here it is of a higher caliber than info posted in other subforums. Most people here don't post junk.

Talking about "dream frames" is junk. The racers in this forum ride on a variety of frames, many of which are of a very high quality. The frame is also one of the last components a lot of racers worry about. I would also venture to guess few if any posters here care what other posters view as their dream frame.

I don't contribute much because I am new at track racing, training, bicycle racing in general. The beauty of this particular subforum is that I don't have to wade through useless posts to read quality information.
really?! please, show us which "high level" racers currently post in this forum. i am kinda glad that you pointed out that this is not the usual forum, i, as a "subforum dweller", feel privileged to actually post in the same forum as you. thanks!!
Old 12-06-14, 08:05 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by sgtdirt
really?! please, show us which "high level" racers currently post in this forum. i am kinda glad that you pointed out that this is not the usual forum, i, as a "subforum dweller", feel privileged to actually post in the same forum as you. thanks!!
Let's see, we have at least one member of the British National Team, at least one member of the US National Team, coaches of US National team riders...etc...

Just because you don't recognize their user names and/or they don't post often, doesn't mean they aren't here.

A lot of people like to remain anonymous, which is why I like BikeForums over facebook.
Old 12-07-14, 12:59 AM
Jared.
Uninformed Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plus dudes with a bunch of Masters medals, state champs, regional champs. People who hold records at various tracks around the country, etc. Not really my job to point them out because as Carleton said, a lot of people like to remain anonymous. Even fewer will brag or bring up their accomplishments.

I'm very grateful to the group here for the knowledge I can glean. While I'm still a beginner in every sense, my weightlifting, tactics, and the little bit of training I do has progressed because of the info/guidance here.

Honestly, thanks guys.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.