Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you carry ID when you ride?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-22, 12:08 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by John Valuk
...make and start using a checklist

"Pre-Flight Check List!!!"

Old 02-18-22, 12:32 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
Yes. Amongst other reasons in my country carrying your photo ID card (or passport) is mandatory. You also need it for interacting with government services, banks, voting, hospital, crossing borders or wherever you need to identify yourself here.

Along with my ID card, I also carry a bit of cash and my credit cards and my drivers and boat skipper licences in a waterproof cycling wallet along with my phone, which is also my everyday wallet.

Credit cards can really help when stuck 150km+ from home on some ill thought out adventure, cash for coffee and food and the phone is, well, indispensable really.
ICNLT
Originally Posted by zandoval
Do I carry ID...

ABSOLUTELY!

I do have my wallet narrowed down to the bare minimum. I also wear Dog Tags. After 32 years in the service it has been no big deal to wear them or keep track of them all the time. I had a pair made up custom when I retired. They have my Name, Address, VA Number and SSN. I figure more than likely my SSN has been compromised anyway so its no big deal. Oh, also note that going around with no ID in Texas can get ya on a bus to No Where No Place PDQ. Ha... Here's a link to one of the many providers...

https://www.dogtags.com/
Blonde hair, blue eyes. I'm as white bread as we come. No bus ride for me.

Ironically, I hated wearing my dog tags when I was in. Now I want a custom pair just for this instance.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 02-18-22, 01:16 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
I'm not really thinking about the need for me to call 1st responders. If I can walk or talk, I'll get myself to help.

I've been considering that very same option.
You are foolish to think you will be able to walk.

I'm telling you from personal experience that your injuries could be more serious than that. I have seen it many times. I have had a situation like that myself. If you have a little boo-boo, who cares if you have ID.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-18-22, 01:46 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Lewis and Clark packed lighter than many BF members do for their daily rides lol
Thanks for the launching pad!

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-18-22, 01:50 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
I have considered that also, but I'm not sure I can do that legally here. I thought photocopying a state issued ID was illegal. ...
Not unless there is intent to defraud, and of course it won't serve in any legal capacity (a bank isn't going to cash a check with it, you wouldn't be able to buy beer, and the police won't accept it during a traffic stop). The simple act of making and carrying a photocopy is not illegal.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 02-18-22, 02:59 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I carry xerox copies of health insurance card (both sides) and drivers license onto single sheet of paper, plus written on the same xerox piece of paper is emergency contact phone number(s)
Old 02-18-22, 03:16 PM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
You can copy an ID.

My US passport was stolen in Marburg, Germany.

I had a photocopy of an expired passport faxed to me and I successfully entered the USA with a faxed copy of an expired passport.

No ID or insurance is needed to get emergency medical care. I'm living proof as are the scores of illegals in the local ER right now.
Old 02-18-22, 03:28 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6943 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
A RoadID is about $25 and is all I need.
Old 02-18-22, 03:51 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I have a road ID thingy attached to my watch band. An expired driver's license in a handlebar bag. Yeah, I know. The bike will be trashed an no one will look there. Also a wallet in my fanny pack or rear rack bag. I'm judgemental. Don't understand why anyone would ride solo without ID.
Old 02-18-22, 03:56 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
My fear is that I get hit, the driver—perhaps in a panic—dumps my body in a river, and I’m discovered 2 weeks later and 30 miles downriver with crayfish crawling out of my eye sockets. I’d like my wife and her new boyfriend not to have to wait for dental records or DNA before they get on with their lives.

If she's with someone two weeks after you've been turned into carp poo, that would be fishy in my book.
Old 02-18-22, 04:08 PM
Saudadeii
USAF Veteran

Bikes: 1984 Univega GT, 2000 Fuji Newest

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 27 Posts
I always take my ID, CCs and some cash. Given the kit I carry (tools, spares, etc.) I'm not concern about the extra weight. Since I have kids and a GF, I don't have much cash anyways.
Old 02-18-22, 04:35 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Shouldn't a cell phone do the trick?
Old 02-18-22, 05:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,857 Times in 6,071 Posts
I have a RoadID bracelet, plus I always carry a ziploc bag with my iPhone, license, insurance card, and some cash. Always.

Originally Posted by bruce19
Shouldn't a cell phone do the trick?
Right up till you fall on it.

EDIT: This is something I worry about - sure I carry a phone. But what if I fall, and it's between me and the hard, hard road? Hence the backup of the DL and insurance card.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles

Last edited by genejockey; 02-18-22 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-18-22, 06:21 PM
TPL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
Carry ID ? = yes
Old 02-18-22, 06:39 PM
WaveyGravey

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 80 Posts
I wear a dog tag with all relevant ID information.
Old 02-18-22, 06:55 PM
sitcur

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Zurich

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

Yes, always. I carry a wallet with credit cards, bus change just in case, cell phone of course, and a complete tube change kit.
Old 02-18-22, 07:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
When they are scraping my mangled corpse of the road I want the government to have to get a sperm sample to tell who I am damnit.

All kidding aside I usually have my wallet which has my keys attached and I usually don't bother removing stuff from it so the ID is usually there. On occasion I don't have it but I usually don't want to lose anything so if I keep it all together in the same place it helps.
Old 02-18-22, 07:35 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
That's what an EMT/First Responder told me. Most everything gets separated from the body. Clothes will get cut off if the responders need to access parts of the body as well. You or someone else may be back at the scene of the incident looking for stuff such as keys/wallet/shoes/etc at a later date.
That's close to what we did in the Fire Department I was with. If you have a medical condition it is best to wear a bracelet indicating the condition.

So for example, if someone is unconscious and they have something that indicated that they are a diabetic, we might push IV Dextrose in the field. Other things from a heart attack to a closed head injury have signs and symptoms, and we would treat as appropriate.

But even back fifteen years ago, we would always look for a cellphone. Wouldn't look at it, but if we found one it went with the patient. So did the remains of your clothes. And a wallet or purse.

I personally have never looked inside a wallet or purse, but we did take a quick look for things like that which are small and needed to be secured.

If we were short handed we did that after the patient left our custody. But first priority was to get a full report to the hospital ED, so we might not look for very long.

We were very rural and normally had 20 minutes before the transport ambulance arrived. We didn't have resources to transport patients to the hospital. That could leave our district without EMS coverage for an hour and a half.

Personally, I have a duplicate insurance card attached to my cell phone, and I use the phone as a cycle computer, so it is attached to my handlebar. If our district had seen a phone holder on a bike we would have given a quick look for the phone, if we had enough people. We also would take the bike back to the Fire station.

Also, my wife gets real time telemetry so she will know that something is up.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 02-18-22, 08:28 PM
VegasJen

Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
You are foolish to think you will be able to walk.

I'm telling you from personal experience that your injuries could be more serious than that. I have seen it many times. I have had a situation like that myself. If you have a little boo-boo, who cares if you have ID.
I've taken a couple tumbles. Both times, it hurt but I have been able to continue on. If I ever take a spill hard enough that I can't, I'll flag down traffic and call EMS. But the whole point of this is if I'm ever physically unable to ask for assistance.

I know a phone would be a great idea, but I'm not carrying one on a ride. It would be different if I could get a cheap, throw-away phone and have it on my same number and plan. But cell phone companies won't let you do that. Don't know why, but that's the way I would do it.
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Not unless there is intent to defraud, and of course it won't serve in any legal capacity (a bank isn't going to cash a check with it, you wouldn't be able to buy beer, and the police won't accept it during a traffic stop). The simple act of making and carrying a photocopy is not illegal.
Thanks for that. I think I will copy mine, at least for the time being. One concern, and the reason I don't like riding with my actual DL, is that there is information on there that I would rather not expose to anybody who just finds me on the side of the road. At least if I copy it, I can edit personal identifiers. Law enforcement will have the resources to put two and two together but it will make it more difficult for some random slime ball.
Originally Posted by genejockey

Right up till you fall on it.

EDIT: This is something I worry about - sure I carry a phone. But what if I fall, and it's between me and the hard, hard road? Hence the backup of the DL and insurance card.
And this is another concern with carrying a phone. My thinking is that if I go down hard enough that I'm not walking away, there's at least a 50/50 chance the phone is in similar condition. Makes no sense to me, especially with an expensive phone. A little cheapo flip phone that just makes calls, I could do that.
Old 02-18-22, 08:47 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 252 Posts
I ride solo most of the time also. I have a RoadID clasp on my Garmin watch (www.roadid.com). It has emergency numbers and brief med info. EMT's know to look for this. I also have my name and address and emergency number written on the edge of my helmet with a blue Sharpie...just in case.

One thing that everyone should do is create an emergency call list in your Contacts on your phone. Name it "ICE" (In case of Emergency). Firemen and EMT's can access that in your phone also. They can hold the phone over your face or use your fingerprint to unlock and if you have ICE, they'll go right to it if they have time or tell the folks in the ER.

--

Last edited by drlogik; 02-19-22 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-18-22, 09:05 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
I bring a Covid vaccine ID at all times. It's got my phone #, name, address on it.

I very rarely check the news. In case they start setting up road checkpoints and I didn't know, I'll have my ID.
Old 02-18-22, 09:12 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
And this is another concern with carrying a phone. My thinking is that if I go down hard enough that I'm not walking away, there's at least a 50/50 chance the phone is in similar condition. Makes no sense to me, especially with an expensive phone. A little cheapo flip phone that just makes calls, I could do that.
I always carry a cheap phone with me at all rides for emergencies. I've had crashes where I got sent to ER but my phone always survived without a scratch....Stupidly lucky phone I guess but not me but the phone proved to be a lifesaver in case of accidents.. My phone is mounted on top of the handlebar via phone holder.

I strongly recommend bringing phone for life-threatening emergencies.
Old 02-18-22, 09:25 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
A flip phone will run about $40 and a monthly plan about $25.
For about $340 the first year, I have some peace of mind just in case.
I have a leather case for it and it fits snuggly in most middle jerseys' pockets.

It can also serve the purpose to call Uber or a taxi if I have a non-emergency major mechanical.
Old 02-18-22, 10:48 PM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
I carry my wallet with my id and medical stuff in it, but to many trips to the er, and have been accused of stealing the bike to many times by police.
Old 02-18-22, 11:05 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
20 dollar bill, a credit card, and cell phone.
Tim

Last edited by tkamd73; 02-18-22 at 11:14 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.