Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Weight of your touring bike?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Weight of your touring bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-22, 06:42 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
You guys are total bad-asses. The most out-of-the-way I have ever gotten is cycling down the outer part of the Olympic Peninsula.
Old 06-06-22, 08:23 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Looks like it's ready to tour! (Are you?)
Almost. I have some diplomacy to engage in to enhance the chances I have a place to return to.
Old 06-06-22, 09:44 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Today on my 31 or whatever lb touring bike, I took off the 2.1 inch gravely treaded tires and put back on the 2 inch slicks, and boy those tires make going over rough roads a cushiony experience.
that's my take on suspension seatposts etc, I'm more inclined to go wider tires.
tires.
And ya, the bike packing light and minimalist thing is one way, but boy panniers are great for ease of use and doing the hotel stairs thing day after day. Been there done that too.
Old 06-07-22, 03:10 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
My bike (Soma Saga) with front and rear racks, pedals, bottle holders, etc., but unloaded, weighs in at just over 30 lbs.

This makes me a bit worried that I may have over-done it. Is this atypically heavy, or about normal?
It's certainly possible to do lighter touring builds, but it's not atypically heavy.

Is it silly to even worry about weight before I start to load it up?
No, but I don't think that it makes sense to worry about overall weight in lieu of individual choices.

Like, suppose the added gravitational drag of a standard Redshift ShockStop stem over a rigid stem adds an extra 15 seconds to a climb up some mountain pass. If you think that sort of penalty is worth the benefits, then I don't think it makes sense to swap it for a rigid stem just to get the total bike weight below some arbitrary number.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 06-07-22, 05:33 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
I was inspired to weigh my disc trucker and honestly it's not bad. 16kg or around 35lbs. But that's with the mini tower pump I forgot to take off, large bottle cages for 1200ml bottles and trailer thru axle and hitch. I think the axle+hitch combo adds half a kilogram by themselves.

It'll get a teeny bit lighter when I get a new superlight handlebar and swap the tubes for latex.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 06-07-22, 05:44 AM
djb

My troll is lighter than a stock troll because the wheelset is lighter, the crankset is lighter, and the fenders and two racks are lighter than some, same with the tires-- and heck, the rider is lighter than most too.

But as has been mentioned, touring covers a big range of types of riding and conditions and stuff to take.
Likes For djb:
Old 06-07-22, 06:06 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
I did a trans-Taklamakan tour where I had to carry five gallons of water. That's 20L of volume, 45lb of weight in just water. That was the entirety of two panniers. Third day in we caught a sand storm, but we had to reach our water resupply point that day. Ended up cycling from 9am to 7am the next morning to get there. 22 hours.
You guys are total bad-asses. The most out-of-the-way I have ever gotten is cycling down the outer part of the Olympic Peninsula.
You have time, don't be in a hurry.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 06-07-22, 06:28 AM
djb

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
You can go back to the OP all you want. 30+ pounds is way too heavy for any touring bike.

I responded to the "real" touring bikes weigh 30 pounds, I should have said hogwash.

The bike that I do most of my touring on has 17.5 inch chain stays and 43 inch wheelbase and 71mm trail. Hardly a racing bike. I would never ever again use front and rear panniers, I have several sets. They simply are unnecessary. I also would not backpack with a 30 pound base weight although many will. My base weight is under 10 pounds. If anyone wants to cut their burdensome weight, check out lighterpack where there is a lot to be learned. For the record, I have toured New England, Colorado, Cali, crossed the USA, tens of thousands of miles in Europe, England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland. Both North and South Islands of NZ plus 3 weeks in Oz. A little in Mexico. All on four different bikes from 100 pounds total down to 38lbs. I will take light any day of the week....the question of the thread...."weight of your touring bike"......I answered.
You have the wrong bike, wheels and tires for those conditions.

​​It's great that you've toured a lot, and with varying setups, but really, what does it accomplish being negative and actually telling someone that they have the wrong bike, wheels and tires?

Last edited by djb; 06-07-22 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-07-22, 06:36 AM
djb

Here is what this ~30lb non-weight-weenie build looks like:

You'll see how it is over time, but I can certainly attest that tires like that already provided such nice cush that you may find you don't need the suspension stuff.
Personally I like having fenders, just less cleaning of drivetrain to do and cleaner clothes. But you might be limited in space for fenders with those tires, they look pretty close.
Most important, get out and ride, that's all that matters.
Likes For djb:
Old 06-07-22, 08:00 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Most important, get out and ride, that's all that matters.
Worth repeating.

My touring bike weighs about 32 pounds, including racks, fenders, pump, saddle bag with spare tube, tire irons and patch kit, and bottle cages. That's about 10 pounds heavier than my 1975 Schwinn LeTour was without any of those things. The LeTour was probably at the high end of the BikeCentennial equipment of '76, for whatever that's worth. But if you compare my cross-country ride 30+ years later to reports from BikeCentennial:

1. I didn't break any spokes.
2. I didn't break a rack, despite a nasty fall in eastern Kentucky.
3. No freewheel problems, or any other mechanical problems.
4. Wore out two tires, with most of my flats occurring within a couple days of replacing the tires.

Did I overpack? Certainly. Did the weight of the bike impinge on my enjoyment? Nope. It's still my rain bike and commuter backup bike 20,000 miles later.

Should BikeCentennial have been delayed 30-40 years so lighter bikes and equipment have been developed? Should I have delayed my tour hoping that ultralight equipment and frame bags would have saved me 6-7 pounds of load? (I don't think so to either, buy YMMV.)

More to the point, is the loaded style of touring obsolete now? I refer you to the quote at the top: get out and ride. If you've got a modern loaded touring bike, it's a great way to start. The modern versions are head and shoulders above the 70s to 80s bikes for reliability. Try to keep you pack load low and go ride. If you find you didn't need something, and it's not safety critical for poor weather, try leaving it home next trip. If you get to the point where you can contemplate packing everything into a frame pack/bikepacking style and you want to try touring like that, go for it!

Don't have the loaded tourer? See how much you can fit into a bar bag and saddle bag, or see if you can mount a rack to hold some panniers. You may feel limited to credit card touring, overnighting at motels or B&Bs, or supported tours where the operator carries your luggage. Get out and see what you're missing. If you want to do more tours of a different style, see what you need to adjust and go for it!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 06-07-22, 11:31 AM
elcruxio

You can go back to the OP all you want. 30+ pounds is way too heavy for any touring bike.

I responded to the "real" touring bikes weigh 30 pounds, I should have said hogwash.

The bike that I do most of my touring on has 17.5 inch chain stays and 43 inch wheelbase and 71mm trail. Hardly a racing bike. I would never ever again use front and rear panniers, I have several sets. They simply are unnecessary. I also would not backpack with a 30 pound base weight although many will. My base weight is under 10 pounds. If anyone wants to cut their burdensome weight, check out lighterpack where there is a lot to be learned. For the record, I have toured New England, Colorado, Cali, crossed the USA, tens of thousands of miles in Europe, England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland. Both North and South Islands of NZ plus 3 weeks in Oz. A little in Mexico. All on four different bikes from 100 pounds total down to 38lbs. I will take light any day of the week....the question of the thread...."weight of your touring bike"......I answered.
I'm curious.

If you deem a 30+ lbs touring bike and panniers unnecessary, how would you carry a three person tunnel tent, camping chair, five sets of riding clothes, full trangia in multifuel configuration, extra shoes, rain gear etc?
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 06-07-22, 01:11 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1925 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 435 Posts
Three person tent, camping chair, five sets of riding clothes, and extra shoes seems a bit excessive. I take a two person tent and three sets of riding clothes. If it is a long tour with a lot of hostel showering, I take a pair of foam bathroom slippers. There is nothing more nasty than walking barefoot in a hostel bathroom. I use Shimano cycling sneakers. They are good off the bike and make no clicking sounds.
Old 06-07-22, 01:41 PM
elcruxio

Having five sets means having to search a laundromat (or in a worst case, sink) only every week or so.

extra walking shoes means the ability to do long day hikes on off days. Shimano sandals are versatile but not that great as walking shoes when you start piling on the kilometers.
Old 06-07-22, 04:30 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1925 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 435 Posts
I hand wash my clothes while on tour. I wash them anywhere I can find a sink. Then I drape them over my bike to dry.
Old 06-07-22, 04:50 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Yan
I hand wash my clothes while on tour. I wash them anywhere I can find a sink. Then I drape them over my bike to dry.
me too, wash them in the campground or cheap accommodation shower with me. Or a sink. Or a bucket.
I just bring two sets of bike shorts, and a couple of jerseys, so always wash the set I was wearing that day.
Old 06-07-22, 05:30 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
I bring a 25 foot long cord with about a dozen clothes pins. The campground was in a forest with lots of trees, but the best places to tie the clothesline was between the tent and the bike.

I find that a flat silicone drain stopper is very useful in campground sinks, as those sinks rarely have stoppers.
Old 06-07-22, 10:29 PM
elcruxio

I suppose my point was that calling something in general pointless without knowing the packing needs or wants of other people is well, pointless.

I know I can get by with less clothes, but hand washing laundry isn't something I particularly enjoy so I like to avoid that while on vacation. I could get by with a smaller tent but for two people the huge tent we have is quite nice. Trangia is a godsend as you can cook all sorts of things with it. I don't like the ascetic almost spiritual side of self punishing touring some people seem to enjoy. I'm on vacation. I deserve some luxury. Like extra shoes......

Ultralighting usually means buying a whole new set of ultralight gear to replace the heavier stuff. And with great expense. Not very sustainable that.
Old 06-08-22, 07:58 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Unladen, my aluminum framed tourer weighs about 23lbs. Not sure exact weight because I was too lazy to remove everything before I weighed it.

Loads I strap to it likely weigh between 15-25 lbs including racks and bags, but not including water.
Old 06-08-22, 01:10 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
1986 Schwinn Voyageur, ~26 lbs as you see it here. About 24lbs without fenders, bottle cages, bell and bag.
Old 06-08-22, 04:06 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
My ‘87 Schwinn Voyageur weighs 30lbs. Stock setup including Vetta saddle. Plastic fenders, F&R racks, three bottle cages, Passela tires, No where near a good looking as polymorphself bike above. Mine’s a mule and looks it.
Old 06-08-22, 04:22 PM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by Prowler
My ‘87 Schwinn Voyageur weighs 30lbs. Stock setup including Vetta saddle. Plastic fenders, F&R racks, three bottle cages, Passela tires, No where near a good looking as polymorphself bike above. Mine’s a mule and looks it.
The weight difference between our bikes is surprising. How did you weigh? I guess the two racks and extra bottle cage could add a few pounds.
Old 06-08-22, 07:14 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
1986 Schwinn Voyageur, ~26 lbs as you see it here. About 24lbs without fenders, bottle cages, bell and bag.
I'm really surprised by this as my 88 Schwinn Letour weighed in about 26 lbs without any fenders or other accessories and I'm sure my saddle was much lighter than a Brooks. In fact the bike that won the Tour De France that year, Delgado's Pinarello weighed in at almost 22 lbs. So old Schwinn really out did themselves in producing a bike designated for touring and yet within 2 lbs of a world beating racer.
Old 06-09-22, 04:05 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
The weight difference between our bikes is surprising. How did you weigh? I guess the two racks and extra bottle cage could add a few pounds.
I use one of the common digital fish/luggage scales. I checked it once with 3 gallons of water and it seemed pretty accurate. Hung the bike on the scale with a rope.
My Voyageur is a 56cm c-c, stock touring pedals, 40 spoke R wheel. Maybe it was the 15 coats of boiled linseed oil outside and frame saver inside that burdened the scale so. I dunno.
What I do know is it was one heavy mudda fully loaded when I rode the GAP round trip from Cumberland. And it just gobbled up the miles. “Bring it on! I can take it.”
Likes For Prowler:
Old 06-09-22, 10:49 AM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by robow
I'm really surprised by this as my 88 Schwinn Letour weighed in about 26 lbs without any fenders or other accessories and I'm sure my saddle was much lighter than a Brooks. In fact the bike that won the Tour De France that year, Delgado's Pinarello weighed in at almost 22 lbs. So old Schwinn really out did themselves in producing a bike designated for touring and yet within 2 lbs of a world beating racer.
I was surprised as well, but it coming in at 24 lbs stock is right on with what they have listed for the weight in the catalog. My Brooks is a little heavier than the stock saddle but my wheels have been swapped for lighter 700c wheels. Good stuff.
Old 06-09-22, 02:11 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
​​It's great that you've toured a lot, and with varying setups, but really, what does it accomplish being negative and actually telling someone that they have the wrong bike, wheels and tires?
My point exactly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.