Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Splicing cables together?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Splicing cables together?

Old 05-17-20, 04:47 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
Stop over, I'll set you right up with a splice.

Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-17-20, 04:50 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by JustinOldPhart
Dudes, abide. It's a shifter cable. Absolute worst-case scenario, he rides home on the small cog. Hell, I'd tie it in a blood knot or a surgeon's knot and have a go at it.
Worst comes to worst I'll get a rag and when I need to shift I'll just get off and do it by hand!
Old 05-17-20, 05:14 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
These are smaller and might be a closer fit: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...2574/205887624
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 05-17-20, 05:47 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
These are smaller and might be a closer fit: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...2574/205887624
That's the size I should have linked. I use 1/16" ferrules all the time on bike cables. I use the cut off SS ones for trailer hitch pin lanyards, hanging bird feeders etc.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-17-20, 05:49 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
first this is not a good idea in any way and I don't condone......
I agree with you but what is there to lose? If it works (which I doubt) great. If it doesn't work, it will still be a learning process.
Old 05-17-20, 05:56 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
The size I tried was 3/32. The 1/6 probably would have worked if I had only shifter cable but I didn't have any extra shifter cable just some old cantilever brake cables and housing to play with, which are too big to go in there. But the copper plates worked OK for now they just look ridiculous
Old 05-18-20, 08:09 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
I tried the aluminum ferrules but I could not crimp them at all. I couldn't find any tubing that wasn't huge so I got some copper plates and folded them over the wires several times then crimped the bejesus out of them. It seems to be holding well enough and I can shift properly but it does look really stupid. It only needs to hold up a couple weeks at most and if it does break then it should not cause any problems because the stays will keep the cable from going anywhere important, I just won't be able to shift for the rest of my ride. Now I just have to find some decent handgrips that don't cost 30 bucks and figure out what shifter to order.
Could you please post some pictures of your work. Not to ridicule it, but...at least for me...a reference for future jury rigs and kludges.

Dan
Old 05-18-20, 09:24 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
some light duty lawn mowers may have a cable selection with eyes attached to pick from. Otherwise, if you run short of line, try a tackle shop & look for low test braid wire & lead split shots.
Old 05-18-20, 09:43 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
Actually you may not need a splice per se. We mechanically fasten cables to derailleurs and brakes and ride thousands of miles.

You might be able to use a brake bolt and fit 2 shifter cables, or any bolt and nut. Add a couple of grooves, maybe a serrated washer.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 05-18-20 at 10:18 AM.
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 05-18-20, 10:15 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by JustinOldPhart
Dudes, abide. It's a shifter cable. Absolute worst-case scenario, he rides home on the small cog. Hell, I'd tie it in a blood knot or a surgeon's knot and have a go at it.

Worst case bring a screwdriver to adjust the high gear stop to lift chain to a mid-range cog. Now you've got a functioning 2 speed. Need different choices? Adjust again. The TDF used to be run on single speed bikes HTFU (Said in a spirit of good will.)

Personally, if galvy cable, I would splay open the ends you want to connect, (after running the cable pieces through where they need to go) and kink the tips back on themselves (like mini grappling hooks, co-mingle them, and twist, with flat pliers, then wrap the mess together winding a single strand around to cover the splice bends and dip in flux, heat and solder.Wrap with electrical tape, wrap some bar tape around the down tube in the appropriate location, and get going on your Century.

whipping.... like with a piece of marlin line. Yeah that's what I meant about the single strand getting ound the bundle. think maybe 8-10 turns, looking like the tie around tied&soldered spokes.... (Thanks Ben, I haven't had a boat in 20 years.....)

Last edited by Last ride 76; 05-18-20 at 10:30 AM. Reason: I hate auto correct.
Likes For Last ride 76:
Old 05-18-20, 10:17 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,900 Times in 2,537 Posts
If I were doing this and could summon the patience, I'd get my best press fittings for slightly bigger diameter that the cable, splice the cable as per the video in a previous post (no I did not watch it but I assume it demonstrated a typical nautical splice) then crimp down on the splice with a couple of fittings. Now the crimp only has to force the strands to bend over/under the opposing and crossing strands, not try to keep them from sliding. Like putting a tight whipping of marlin around a rope splice.

When I say "best" press fittings, I mean the best you can com up with, not the best out there. The OPs copper might well be it and should do this job just fine.

Another approach - search for marine wire slices. Sailors have been trusting their lives to those splices as long as galvanized and steel wire have existed. A good source will also tell you the percent loss of strength of the wire at the splice. (Be aware that any splice will "settle" with the first few uses. They tighten up to a smaller diameter and lengthen in the process. Completely normal and it will mess up your first few derailleur adjusts.

Edit, that said, dedhed's got just the tool. My 12 racing sailboat was rigged completely with the telephone lineman's scaled up version of that nicopress. Sill in my shop. Still does that job simply first class.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 05-18-20 at 10:21 AM.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-18-20, 10:19 AM
Last ride 76 

Probably will outlast the other cables.
Old 05-18-20, 10:30 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Do you have an extra straddle? You might be able to thread two shifter cables from the opposite direction and clamp down.
Old 05-18-20, 11:05 AM
Last ride 76 

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Actually you may not need a splice per se. We mechanically fasten cables to derailleurs and brakes and ride thousands of miles.

You might be able to use a brake bolt and fit 2 shifter cables, or any bolt and nut. Add a couple of grooves, maybe a serrated washer.

John

or a little plate with 2 cable holes and hole for bolt, nut and washer 20 minutes to drill and assemble tighten and clip cables. 5 more to protect the paint and 5 to adjust the RD.

70sSanO
A voice of sanity, in the wilds of BF..*
Another overthunk and over-worried problem by BF (me included)
Say it WAS a brake cable. Do it carefully and test it. take it easy and check it... Mts, be MORE careful.

* I'm sorry, that avatar makes me feel a little less confident about that sanity clause...

Last edited by Last ride 76; 05-18-20 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-18-20, 11:26 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Originally Posted by Last ride 76

or a little plate with 2 cable holes and hole for bolt, nut and washer 20 minutes to drill and assemble tighten and clip cables. 5 more to protect the paint and 5 to adjust the RD.

70sSanO
A voice of sanity, in the wilds of BF..*
Another overthunk and over-worried problem by BF (me included)
Say it WAS a brake cable. Do it carefully and test it. take it easy and check it... Mts, be MORE careful.

* I'm sorry, that avatar makes me feel a little less confident about that sanity clause...
I didn't want to get into the brake thing because you know how alarmist some people are, but if I did gimmick my brakes then I would obviously be very careful when braking and with my speed. And like I said this is not meant to be a long term thing just a stopgap so I don't have to stop riding while I wait on the mailman. But if just one brake were off I would not worry much, I used to ride like that all the time and I don't go that fast for the most part and if I do it's only when there is a long downhill and no pedestrials or other bikes around then I let loose...for about half a mile anyway lol
Old 05-18-20, 12:00 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I’ve extended galvanized shifter cables Several times. Simply by winding them around each other in a lazy spiral, then soldering.It has worked so well I’d forgotten about it and been surprised by it next time the bike got a thorough service.
I’ve also used the crimp-on sleeves for electrical work. I pick a size where the cable just will fit through double. That’s been fine too. The only emergency fix I’ve tried that failed was using a screw-on electrical cable connector.
Likes For dabac:
Old 06-13-22, 04:17 PM
elcyc

Bikes: Gary Fisher Advance (1993, heavily modded); Fuji Absolute 2.0 (2010; modded)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Depends on WHERE the cable broke. My shifter just broke at the hand about 0.5 in. after the nipple. Has another used shifter with plenty of good slack after the shift nipple. I'm going to splice the orig (coming from derail.) to the new-used scrap I had around ... right at the downtube. Spiral loop the the two for about 12in, 7-8 plastic cable ties and then JB weld much of that. Pictures comin' soon!
Old 06-13-22, 08:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Originally Posted by elcyc
Depends on WHERE the cable broke. My shifter just broke at the hand about 0.5 in. after the nipple. Has another used shifter with plenty of good slack after the shift nipple. I'm going to splice the orig (coming from derail.) to the new-used scrap I had around ... right at the downtube. Spiral loop the the two for about 12in, 7-8 plastic cable ties and then JB weld much of that. Pictures comin' soon!
Keep in mind this thread was dormant for 2 years!

For those looking for good advice just get a new cable they are pretty cheap even a galvanized cable is going to be better than zip ties and jb-weld. However don't use galvanized cables just get a proper slick stainless cable, install it correctly and replace it when needed. Cables are important pieces and broken ones are no good and wasting time and effort and extra money to bodge it together isn't sensible unless out on the road away from a shop. Be safe out there.
Old 06-13-22, 10:38 PM
elcyc

Bikes: Gary Fisher Advance (1993, heavily modded); Fuji Absolute 2.0 (2010; modded)

Originally Posted by veganbikes
For those looking for good advice just get a new cable they are pretty cheap even a galvanized cable is going to be better than zip ties and jb-weld. However don't use galvanized cables just get a proper slick stainless cable, install it correctly and replace it when needed. Cables are important pieces and broken ones are no good and wasting time and effort and extra money to bodge it together isn't sensible unless out on the road away from a shop. Be safe out there.
THANKS DAD
Look, pops .... most of us on this forum have brand new cables, in multiple qty, in our parts drawers, and other parts galore up the wazoo .... had 'em fer years.
This here thread is 'bout experimentin', thinkin' outside the box, havin' fun.
Old 06-13-22, 11:47 PM
elcyc

Some photos ....

Initial tests ... all equal to orig cable. Long-term ... I think JB splice will outlast the cable by decades.
Old 06-14-22, 08:37 AM
crowbike

Bikes: 2023 Cervelo Soloist 2007 Specialized Tricross 2017 Colnago CRS 2001 Schwinn Homegrown

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 22 Posts

Did this out of curiosity. Piece of copper tubing from a scrapped water heater. Was crimped using a cable cutter tool. Connection was strong enough to lift a 40lb dumbbell.
Likes For crowbike:
Old 06-14-22, 09:30 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
THANKS DAD
Look, pops .... most of us on this forum have brand new cables, in multiple qty, in our parts drawers, and other parts galore up the wazoo .... had 'em fer years.
This here thread is 'bout experimentin', thinkin' outside the box, havin' fun.
Not a pops. Not even close, though yes you should thank your father. However the thread was dormant and the idea is poor. I am not saying one needs to have multiple cables in their parts drawers if they somehow can't but getting a new cable is easy most shops will have them and if you are that desperate their are some online brick and mortars and if you are really desperate you can help poor old Billionaire Jeff Bezos who is barely the worlds richest man and he can supply cables. One doesn't need a supply but yeah having some basic low cost repair parts in your bin is pretty handy. Though I guess if you are only using the bike for purely entertainment purposes and not for getting around than not having the bike may not matter but if you are commuting or using the bike to get places having minor things like cables and brake pads and things like that aren't a big draw on funds. I am not talking about having a spare XTR derailleur and carbon wheels and stuff like that but actual practical things you will use and need to properly maintain a bike for safe usage.

Maybe for you $5 per cable per year or maybe two years is a kingly sum but I think most folks can swing it especially if you buy coffee at a chain or artisan coffee shop or spend money on gas for short range trips or less important things like that. Obviously yes there are people out there struggling not talking about them in this case they are not here. Plus if you have money for $5-10 in JB Weld a cable is not far from that.

A bodge is meant to get you home in an emergency or to the next shop.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-14-22, 11:20 AM
elcyc

Originally Posted by crowbike

Did this out of curiosity. Piece of copper tubing from a scrapped water heater. Was crimped using a cable cutter tool. Connection was strong enough to lift a 40lb dumbbell.
Good!
I would never do or recommend any splicing on brake cables.
Old 06-14-22, 03:46 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,532 Posts
Some photos ....

Initial tests ... all equal to orig cable. Long-term ... I think JB splice will outlast the cable by decades.
and no elegance at all....i.e ugly as crap. Somethings are meant to be experimented with....others are not.......

now get off my lawn whipper snapper

Old 06-15-22, 07:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 3,298 Posts
I don't recall the op saying that they wanted to do fun experiments with cables.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.