Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A lot of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitiv

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A lot of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitiv

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-22, 02:25 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
It has welded pegs sticking out both sides about 8 mm. So lots of thread for a screw. There will be a sort of ugly 1/4" gap to the frame. I had another brand that had unsuitable skinny pegs.
I'll use my DIY CF holder with it. For the seat tube I drilled it and put a bolt thru from the inside. I needed a broken golf shaft to hold the bolt and washer, then the sanded down socket.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 06-12-22 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-12-22, 03:19 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 2,925 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
I’m running a cheap Schwinn frame that lacks bottle mounts, so I’m using the zip-tie method.
Hose clamps would be stronger.
Old 06-13-22, 06:57 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Hose clamps would be stronger.
Probably so. I put one on this bike with four black cable ties about three years ago and haven’t had any issues or had to replace them.

Otto
Old 06-13-22, 07:11 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4401 Post(s)
Liked 4,849 Times in 3,001 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
That "bolt" is as long as most quill stems. It needs to fit to say .0002" to go thru the whatever tunnel. It needs to be 99.9% clean.
How they don't rattle is a mystery to me. Every time you undo a screw it wears some and ought to be cleaned greased EVERY time. Alu is a POOR metal for any kind of bolt. I've had alu quills and bare seat posts that look like HELL is short order from corrosion.
I have spent months making 3 nickel plated steel stems. Some attempts turned out too tight, too loose and too crooked. But now they are super strong and good for 50 years.
It's not going to rattle if you think about how it works for maybe 10 seconds. You make it sound a lot harder than it is in reality.
Old 06-13-22, 08:36 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
How they don't rattle is a mystery to me..
So…. you don’t understand how a through axle works…. but that won’t stop you from calling the technology garbage.

FWIW, I’ve got a 17 year old TA MTB fork with 14 years of regular, hard use. Zero play, nothing rattling, nothing worn out.
Old 06-13-22, 09:12 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
That "bolt" is as long as most quill stems. It needs to fit to say .0002" to go thru the whatever tunnel. It needs to be 99.9% clean.
How they don't rattle is a mystery to me…
a mystery to you … not to those who ride them, or, thankfully, the mechanical engineers who design them! even the cheapest ones i’ve ridden are rock solid, in a good way.
Old 06-13-22, 09:17 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
As pictured, I think the Gatorskins probably didn't help the steel bike in this respect either.

True -- The tires on the Specialized are house brand, but they are an open tubular type similar to a Vittoria Open Corsa
Old 06-14-22, 08:45 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
They can't keep up because they're out of shape,...not because they're riding an older bike.
I think you missed it. If we were talking people all riding bikes that are 10 years old or less...I would agree with you.

However....We've had people show up on an old bike (from the 80's or 90's) and they couldn't keep up on the group ride pace at 18-23 mph. Then those same people return a week or two later with a new bike and then they can keep up. Something about the older bikes holding them back.
Old 06-14-22, 08:49 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
The bike industry is heading that way and it's only a matter of time before everybody will be forced to purchase whatever is manufactured by the bike industry...Just look at the axle spacing standards. 135 mmm rear axle spacing is almost non existent and thru axels have pretty much replaced simple and reliable quick release axles...Bikes with nutted axles are non existent unless you do the conversion yourself. Majority of gravel bikes come with carbon forks...Eventually you will have no choice but to purchase what the bike industry dictates..
Lots of curmudgeon going on here. Next you'll be yelling at people to get off your lawn.

Truth is...What you stated holds true for any product manufactured. It's not just bikes. It's literally everything

And if you don't fully understand or realize the benefits of thru axles and carbon parts then there is no changing your mind.
Old 06-14-22, 12:27 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 446 Posts
All these years I thought "It's not the bike; it's the rider!", but it turns out I've been wrong all along! It's not the rider, after all! It's the bike! Must be his heavy wheels, then. Or maybe he doesn't pull up on the pedals? Maybe he's got 10 lbs. too much air in his too-skinny tires and that's why he got dropped...

Thankfully, 2022 is supplying knowledge that we didn't even know we needed! All hail the Know-It-All!

Don't get me started on curmudgeon - next thing you know I'll be advocating violence, and breaking some rule.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 06-14-22, 12:40 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,897 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I think you missed it. If we were talking people all riding bikes that are 10 years old or less...I would agree with you.

However....We've had people show up on an old bike (from the 80's or 90's) and they couldn't keep up on the group ride pace at 18-23 mph. Then those same people return a week or two later with a new bike and then they can keep up. Something about the older bikes holding them back.
Exactly. As we discussed above - same rider, same time of day, same route, similar weather conditions, 4 minutes over 25 miles. But some folks will still deny the observation.

Listen, it don't really matter to me, baby
You believe what you want to believe...

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-14-22, 12:56 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Lots of curmudgeon going on here. Next you'll be yelling at people to get off your lawn.

Truth is...What you stated holds true for any product manufactured. It's not just bikes. It's literally everything

And if you don't fully understand or realize the benefits of thru axles and carbon parts then there is no changing your mind.
It's hard to get past the fact that we can't buy cars these days with hand cranks in the front and wooden wheels.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 06-14-22, 01:24 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
All these years I thought "It's not the bike; it's the rider!", but it turns out I've been wrong all along! It's not the rider, after all! It's the bike! Must be his heavy wheels, then. Or maybe he doesn't pull up on the pedals? Maybe he's got 10 lbs. too much air in his too-skinny tires and that's why he got dropped...

Thankfully, 2022 is supplying knowledge that we didn't even know we needed! All hail the Know-It-All!

Don't get me started on curmudgeon - next thing you know I'll be advocating violence, and breaking some rule.

You need to go to P&R to talk violence -- they get very frisky over there
Old 06-14-22, 01:36 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Fredo76
All these years I thought "It's not the bike; it's the rider!", but it turns out I've been wrong all along! It's not the rider, after all! It's the bike!
While it's mainly about the rider, there are enough marginal bike gains available over the last 30 years to make a MAMIL on a new bike significantly faster than a very similar MAMIL on an old bike. I think that's what the point was.
The alternative reality is that bike technology has not moved forward an inch over 30 years.
Old 06-14-22, 02:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
While it's mainly about the rider, there are enough marginal bike gains available over the last 30 years to make a MAMIL on a new bike significantly faster than a very similar MAMIL on an old bike. I think that's what the point was.
The alternative reality is that bike technology has not moved forward an inch over 30 years.

The problem with that is it's entirely untestable as one can't really know if any given MAMIL is significantly different from his 30 years ago counterpart. Also, UCI has basically put a kibosh on the things that dramatically change the speed by banning certain postures, etc., so the types of improvements that have been allowed are really of the marginal sort. Carbon fiber had the potential to completely revolutionize bike design, but if designers aren't allowed to fully investigate the range between fully recumbent and double diamond upright, that really constrains how much the field can progress.

I think it's safe to say that there's a much wider range of bike technologies available than there was 30 years ago so people are more likely to find a bike that suits their tastes, preferences and skills, but that objectively "better" is very hard if not impossible to quantify.
Old 06-14-22, 02:23 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by livedarklions
The problem with that is it's entirely untestable as one can't really know if any given MAMIL is significantly different from his 30 years ago counterpart. Also, UCI has basically put a kibosh on the things that dramatically change the speed by banning certain postures, etc., so the types of improvements that have been allowed are really of the marginal sort. Carbon fiber had the potential to completely revolutionize bike design, but if designers aren't allowed to fully investigate the range between fully recumbent and double diamond upright, that really constrains how much the field can progress.

I think it's safe to say that there's a much wider range of bike technologies available than there was 30 years ago so people are more likely to find a bike that suits their tastes, preferences and skills, but that objectively "better" is very hard if not impossible to quantify.
I was talking about a current MAMIL riding a new vs old bike, which is easily tested.

I was also talking about conventional road bikes, not hour record TT specials, bents etc.
Old 06-14-22, 02:47 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I was talking about a current MAMIL riding a new vs old bike, which is easily tested.
Oops, apparently my brain farted.
Old 06-14-22, 02:48 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Oops, apparently my brain farted.
LOL, it happens!
Old 06-14-22, 04:02 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,897 Times in 6,094 Posts

I was also talking about conventional road bikes, not hour record TT specials, bents etc.
(quietly raises hand)
I've actually done the experiment.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-14-22, 04:02 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,876 Times in 1,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I'm always being passed on trails and bike lanes. Maybe it's because I'm 60yo and don't feel I need to race anymore or that my bike is 43 yo and doesn't have all the innovations since I bought it.

Or both.
the riders passing you might be on electric / battery powered bikes lol
Old 06-15-22, 05:04 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by genejockey
(quietly raises hand)
I've actually done the experiment.
Perfect. What was the result again? 4 mins slower over 25 miles. Not a big deal, but enough to make it harder work if riding with a bunch of guys on newer bikes.
Old 06-15-22, 05:55 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
4 minutes in 25 miles is a lot, it could be 30-50 watt difference in power depending on speed and assumptions made.

I have all my old bikes except the broken one, I could run an experiment

I sort of did that experiment 8 years ago. I was so much faster on standard training routes using my Felt AR1 compared to a round tubed, endurance geometry metal bike. I was 2 hours faster on a 400K. I thought it might have been fit, except the metal bike was custom built for me. I never figured it out but I was always a lot faster on the new carbon aero frame with aero wheels. I just was.
Old 06-15-22, 06:04 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Very true.

35 years ago I was racing on a 10kg+ bike as a junior. I then moved onto 9kg+ bikes and in the late 90's, 8.5kg. Zero aero to be found.

Stopped cycling, returned in 2019 and my bike was/is 6kg! My 'heavy' aero bike is 7.5kg. Lighter weight, aerodynamics, disc brakes for shorter braking distances, faster gear changing - significant advancement.

When I was in Belgium last month I borrowed an 18yr+ aluminium Bianchi. It was entry-level for its time, 10kg and zero aero - heavier than the Cannonade w/Dura ace I raced in the 1990's. It rode ok, no problems but wow, did it feel like a brick compared to my 2019 Wilier! It felt heavy, much less agile and just didn't carry speed very well relative to what I am now used to.

Same rider vs bikes from different era's and I'm noticeably faster on the lighter, more aero machines. The marginal bikes gains over time have added up to being quite significant when we are talking about speed and course times.

Pootling about in recreational mode, then the differences are much less noticeable, of course. Agility will be noticed but unless going up a steep or long incline, then it could be argued the older bike 'does the job'. That old Bianchi was fun to ride, did the job for my trip but is a long way from being fast by modern bike standards.

Last edited by AlgarveCycling; 06-15-22 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-15-22, 06:10 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Pootling about in recreational mode, then the differences are much less noticeable, of course. Agility will be noticed but unless going up a steep or long incline, then it could be argued the older bike 'does the job'. That old Bianchi was fun to ride, did the job for my trip but is a long way from being fast by modern bike standards.
good point.

You have to be riding fast enough to see the aero difference.
Old 06-15-22, 06:39 AM
PeteHski

What I notice as much as anything else is how comfortable and quiet modern fast road bikes are.

My Canyon Endurace is the most comfortable road bike I've ever owned and no doubt the fastest even though it's not specifically an aero frame. The combination of modern wider tyres, carbon frame, carbon wheels, compliant carbon seatpost, integrated carbon bar/stem and electronic shifting all add up to a sublime rattle/creak free ride even on some pretty rough local roads. Even my 2019 Giant Defy is a little behind the curve in this respect, I think due to narrower wheel rims and an alloy bar/stem which transfers a LOT more vibration through to my hands despite thick cushioned bar tape. I also notice a bit of internal gear cable rattle on this bike. But both are more comfortable to ride than anything I owned prior.

But having said all that I still enjoyed road riding back in the 80s and 90s just as much as today. But had these modern bikes been available back then I certainly would have chosen them over what was actually available in the day!
Likes For PeteHski:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.