Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for a good seat?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Suggestions for a good seat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-22, 10:03 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by tajimirich
I got myself a well priced SLR Boost TM Superflow from Selle Italia. Wish me luck
good luck bro, are you going to climb mt fugi sometime? Ive heard thats an insane climb
Old 06-15-22, 10:04 PM
tajimirich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
good luck bro, are you going to climb mt fugi sometime? Ive heard thats an insane climb
That's a pretty long ride, over a number of insane climbs, from me so.. yeah, someday, naturally
Old 06-17-22, 02:48 AM
tajimirich

There we have it. So far so good. Smaller than previous, but I found myself having to reposition on previous so I'm thinking I'll like the smaller scope for shifting. Also far less pressure when I'm going down to my "drops"
Old 06-17-22, 05:27 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by tajimirich
I got myself a well priced SLR Boost TM Superflow from Selle Italia. Wish me luck
Good choice! Selle Italia are my favourite.

I have a Selle Italia Carbon Superflow SLR Boost on my Wilier and it is light (122g) and very comfortable; 6-7 hr rides no problem. I have a Bontrager Montrose Pro on my Trek that is also nice but I prefer the Selle Italia.

Old 06-17-22, 08:41 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Oddly price does not equate to comfort. It appears that the fanciest seats are those used in professional competition... But really... Those guys don't sit much... Ha

The search for the good looking comfortable seat goes on. Kinda like the Holly Grail...

Somehow I keep thinking Brooks. Even if it doesn't look super modern anyone who really rides will note... Its a Brooks...

C15?
This is true. More money = less weight (less padding, more carbon, more titanium etc.) Not more comfort, as a general rule. However the road bike orthodoxy says more seat padding = less comfort, leading ppl to try ever more expensive and un-comfortable seats + 1/2" diaper pants to make up for the too hard seat
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 06-17-22, 09:00 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
Good choice! Selle Italia are my favourite.

I have a Selle Italia Carbon Superflow SLR Boost on my Wilier and it is light (122g) and very comfortable; 6-7 hr rides no problem. I have a Bontrager Montrose Pro on my Trek that is also nice but I prefer the Selle Italia.

May I ask, do you stay in an aggressive position the whole ride, or also ride more upright?
Old 06-17-22, 09:02 AM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
This is true. More money = less weight (less padding, more carbon, more titanium etc.) Not more comfort, as a general rule. However the road bike orthodoxy says more seat padding = less comfort, leading ppl to try ever more expensive and un-comfortable seats + 1/2" diaper pants to make up for the too hard seat
My problem is that I need oval rails, which means carbon rails, and the saddles with carbon rails are the expensive ones. I would love to just buy maybe 3-4 inexpensive saddles to test them for the price of a single one with carbon rails. I mean the saddles tend to be the same, just different shell and rails.
Old 06-17-22, 09:39 AM
AlgarveCycling

Originally Posted by ZHVelo
May I ask, do you stay in an aggressive position the whole ride, or also ride more upright?
Both roughly equal on most days. Never all of one or the other.

Today I did 3 hours, at least half of that was in the drops trying to keep up with my training partner.

I tend to move around a lot, aero on levers, drops, more upright on levers, seated, standing...all, but that's in fitting with the terrain locally which is hilly.

Old 06-17-22, 10:19 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,015 Posts
My problem is that I need oval rails, which means carbon rails, and the saddles with carbon rails are the expensive ones.
Why do you need oval rails? I know some seat posts where the rails are installed on either side of the head have different clamps for different rails, but can you not just swap the clamps?

I would love to just buy maybe 3-4 inexpensive saddles to test them for the price of a single one with carbon rails. I mean the saddles tend to be the same, just different shell and rails.
So far I have bought two Ergon SR-3 Pro (made by Selle Italia), in black and white, an Astvte Starline Pilarga, and a Fabric Race Shallow Team. I buy saddles to try when they are about to be discontinued.
Old 06-17-22, 01:00 PM
ZHVelo

Both roughly equal on most days. Never all of one or the other.

Today I did 3 hours, at least half of that was in the drops trying to keep up with my training partner.

I tend to move around a lot, aero on levers, drops, more upright on levers, seated, standing...all, but that's in fitting with the terrain locally which is hilly.

And you notice no difference in the saddle when you sit more upright with a less forward rotated pelvis?

Also, how is the back support from the Selle, it does have a raised rear so should in theory help the back.

This model is on my shortlist of saddles to try hence all the questions.
Old 06-18-22, 06:20 AM
AlgarveCycling

And you notice no difference in the saddle when you sit more upright with a less forward rotated pelvis?

Also, how is the back support from the Selle, it does have a raised rear so should in theory help the back.

This model is on my shortlist of saddles to try hence all the questions.
I don't, no. To me, this is one of the most comfortable saddles I've owned. I have the saddle mounted pretty flat and find it supports me well enough.

But saddles are subjective things, like shoes, everyone is different and small things can mean different experiences. Selle has a model sizing and type guide on their website that worked for me when shortlisting.

Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 06-18-22, 06:26 AM
tajimirich

For the record my first impressions of my new Selle is that I can go down to the drops far far far more easily and comfortably
Likes For tajimirich:
Old 06-18-22, 04:44 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
I don't, no. To me, this is one of the most comfortable saddles I've owned. I have the saddle mounted pretty flat and find it supports me well enough.

But saddles are subjective things, like shoes, everyone is different and small things can mean different experiences. Selle has a model sizing and type guide on their website that worked for me when shortlisting.
Decided to sorta try a variant of one of these out. As mentioned, I have a standard length SP-01 which I really like a lot, but out of interest, and reading through this thread, found from searching around the SI website the 'gravel' version SLR Boost superflow. Seems to be similar but with a touch of gel padding added. We'll see I guess. I'm just not sure the point of the stubby saddles aside from chopping off the front few cms and saving that tiny bit of weight.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 06-19-22, 01:16 PM
ZHVelo

Thanks!
Likes For ZHVelo: