Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

best one handed POS camera

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-21, 09:29 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts

I currently just use my iphone 8 while riding my bike. Anyone have a great one handed Point And Shoot camera they can use while riding their bike ?

Something that easily fits in the back of your three pocket bike jersey.

Last edited by sean.hwy; 02-20-21 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-19-21, 10:07 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I don't know about great, but I've used a few point & shoot cameras for riding.

The current one is a Lumix which is OK but the battery door just broke off. Before that a Canon which was not great & before that another Lumix I think. You can get them practically for free used.

Sweat gums up the lens cover after a while, But I like being able to pull it out of the jersey pocket & shoot one-handed. The phone is too easily dropped.

You can get some fun shots

Likes For woodcraft:
Old 02-19-21, 11:10 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
For photos or videos?

For videos I'd get an action cam, e.g. a GoPro.

For photos, couple of options. The Olympus TG6 is great if you value durability. For quality, I'd pick one of the Sony RX100 series as someone else mentioned, or the ZV-1 which is essentially a vlogging-focused RX100 model.

I have used both GoPros as well as RX100 (iii, vi) and ZV-1 on rides, and I'll prefer the GoPro for videos and the ZV-1 for a mix of both photography and vlogging.
Old 02-19-21, 11:55 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I use an Olympus TG-4 that would fit in my jersey pocket but I also like to take along a fisheye lens that fits to it. Instead of the jersey I have a simple feedbag that velcros to the bars and the camera sits safely within, easy to remove with one hand.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 02-20-21 at 12:04 AM.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 02-20-21, 06:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
I don't know why anyone would want a POS camera. They are crappy.

Now, for a P&S camera, the Sony RX100 series are very nice.
Heh. I made that same mistake in a post in the Addiction thread maybe a year ago. I think your first sentence is exactly how someone responded.
Old 02-20-21, 08:13 AM
Dino_Sore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
If you're looking for a P&S camera for the bike, get a ruggedized camera (waterproof and shockproof), and don't spend a lot of money on it (because you'll eventually break it). There are only a few companies that make them anymore. I use an out of production Fujifilm FinePix XP120 that was relatively cheap and has button controls. You don't want a camera with touch screen controls if you plan to pull it out of your pocket and use it with one hand. The XP 120 has been superseded by new models. It's a decent camera for on-the-bike photos or videos, but that's all I use it for. Your smartphone camera is probably just as good or better for those times when you can use it.

Panasonic has a Lumix DMC-TS30 that might work for you as well. It is pretty small and not too expensive. I've had Olympus Tough cameras in the past, but they are more expensive.

Frankly, I would just use my iPhone for bike photos, but I keep it in a waterproof case in my pocket so I can't use it on the fly. I like having a camera in my pocket to pull out for quick shots that I might miss while fishing for my phone (e.g. bears in the woods, or the license plate of the car that almost hit you).
Old 02-20-21, 08:39 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
I’m following out of interest to hear what the options are; I’m so far out of the camera tech scene!

I’ve been using a GoPro Session for some years, and it’s pretty handy for what I do. I can capture short vids and stills for illuminating Strava posts and other social media, and because it’s mounted at-hand on the bars, I can quickly pop it out of the cage to grab other angles. It’s a small square, so I’m confident holding it, though my fingers do get in the way if I’m careless, and it’s one-button operation.

The downsides are the unimpressive picture quality (low light response is weak) and the battery life is short.

I’m thinking seriously about stepping up to the new Hero 9 and taking the opportunity to step up my own game in terms of the kind of stuff I produce and share. I thinking having that sensor data overlay would be fun to use, and I think it would be cool to produce ride vids to share with my mates.

The other neat thing about an AC like GoPro is that you can use a remote to fire it, so it’s super easy to mount, say, on your helmet and just grab pics with a button remote on the bars.

I’m definitely open to hear what good options there are, though.
Old 02-20-21, 08:44 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Maybe fits the bill for fitting a jersey pocket, one handed, etc.

Old 02-20-21, 10:39 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Maybe fits the bill for fitting a jersey pocket, one handed, etc.

I've seen some people use this before. Takes some experience and guesswork to aim the thing and get the picture you want. On the other hand, it draws a lot of attention from those who've never seen such a thing - common questions include, "is that an inhaler?"
Old 02-20-21, 11:31 AM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by HD3andMe
I don't know why anyone would want a POS camera. They are crappy.

Now, for a P&S camera, the Sony RX100 series are very nice.
Yeah you are right. Need to fix that.
Old 02-20-21, 12:15 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
A P&S to show your POV?
Old 02-20-21, 01:21 PM
Medium Size Dog

Bikes: 98 Trek 6000 MTB, 70's mutant St. Etienne

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 32 Posts
If it's a done deal you're going to drop it and break it eventually because you're fiddling with a camera while riding, I'd rather lose a P&S camera than a phone or gopro, even if it's a POS or extra baggage. Fiddling is out of the question too.
Old 02-20-21, 04:07 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Medium Size Dog
If it's a done deal you're going to drop it and break it eventually because you're fiddling with a camera while riding,
I’ve taken countless photos with a P&S camera while riding. Never once dropped it. You know how I lost it? While stopped taking a photo on a bridge. Hands were sweaty. The camera ended up at the bottom of the Delaware River.

Last edited by indyfabz; 02-20-21 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-20-21, 04:19 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
if you can do things that draws attention, a news media truck might follow you around with the camera rolling. Gopros have came down & a refurb can be dirt cheap.
Old 02-20-21, 05:02 PM
Medium Size Dog

Bikes: 98 Trek 6000 MTB, 70's mutant St. Etienne

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 32 Posts
Hope all of you with nasty weather are safe and warm. It's another breezy cloudless day in southern California with temps in the 60's and 70's. To address the OP question: fine suggestions for P&S cameras. The biggest hassle while riding is being familiar with the tiny buttons on your particular camera. Some of the kiddie cameras take decent pictures, are bigger with bigger buttons and are made to be dropped. Lots of cameras cheap at thrift stores but you gotta have what may be unique charger, batteries, connecting cords and manual. If you were born after around 1990 you probably know someone older who still has their complete kits in a drawer somewhere that they used until their phone got good enough to take over picture taking. You may have to deal with the grueling inconvenience of using a connecting cord or SD card reader, but you get the option of keeping photos out of the digital world. As for the translation, an earlier post mentioned the possibility of dropping and breaking the camera, a less significant loss than a cel phone. As for fiddling, attempting to safely navigate potentially unpredictable road surfaces while coaxing pleasing sounds from a musical instrument while taking pictures could put the safety of camera, bike, fiddle, bow and rider at risk.
Old 02-20-21, 07:31 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 403 Posts
I bought a first generation Ricoh GR III digital camera. It cost me $100, including the charger and battery. It is not a POS camera, it is durable, has an excellent lens and sensor, and can be operated entirely with one hand. I have been something of a photographer for many years, and have a pretty large collection of film and digital cameras, I was very impressed by the Ricoh.
Old 02-20-21, 08:29 PM
Ashloff

Bikes: Trek Slash 7 and kit ebike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Get an action cam...

A cell phone may get smashed and a point and shoot isn’t going to capture video. I have an Insta 360 R and like it. Others use GoPro. The Insta 360 R has both 360 recording and traditional action camera recording. I don’t think I can go back to a traditional action cam even if for nothing other than being able to easily crop the image afterwards.
Old 02-20-21, 08:31 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
A friend I use to go motorcycle riding with always kept a p&S camera attached to a lanyard around her neck. No need to pull it out of a pocket. I tried doing that and it just didn't feel right. I also find the best pictures are off the bike so don't worry too much about something that can be used with gloves, etc.

I have a Canon S-100 that is amazing for how compact it is. Mine is years old but there are newer models. I think the S-120 is the current one. For people with experience on SLR's it has a ring that can be programmed for zoom, arperture, shutter speed, or just about any function.

Last edited by Ogsarg; 02-23-21 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-20-21, 08:43 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Medium Size Dog
Hope all of you with nasty weather are safe and warm. It's another breezy cloudless day in southern California with temps in the 60's and 70's. To address the OP question: fine suggestions for P&S cameras. The biggest hassle while riding is being familiar with the tiny buttons on your particular camera. Some of the kiddie cameras take decent pictures, are bigger with bigger buttons and are made to be dropped. Lots of cameras cheap at thrift stores but you gotta have what may be unique charger, batteries, connecting cords and manual. If you were born after around 1990 you probably know someone older who still has their complete kits in a drawer somewhere that they used until their phone got good enough to take over picture taking. You may have to deal with the grueling inconvenience of using a connecting cord or SD card reader, but you get the option of keeping photos out of the digital world. As for the translation, an earlier post mentioned the possibility of dropping and breaking the camera, a less significant loss than a cel phone. As for fiddling, attempting to safely navigate potentially unpredictable road surfaces while coaxing pleasing sounds from a musical instrument while taking pictures could put the safety of camera, bike, fiddle, bow and rider at risk.
Wut
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-20-21, 09:04 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best...-shoot-cameras
Wow those prices are steeper then I'd figured. I've wondered about carrying one as well, since my phone's camera lens isn't great and the app is crash prone and slow.

​​​​​​
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 02-21-21, 01:25 AM
sean.hwy

I tried using my gopro9 today as point and shoot camera with no luck. It's so much easier to just use my phone. I can do everything with one hand.

Are you guys just using one hand while riding your bike taking photos? That's what I really want.
Old 02-21-21, 03:14 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Originally Posted by sean.hwy
Are you guys just using one hand while riding your bike taking photos? That's what I really want.
Most compacts can be operated one-handed - their controls are typically arranged on the right side of the camera so if you're a right-hander, all it takes is familiarity with the model you buy. Just have a look at pictures online to avoid the rare or odd model with a power button or mode dial on the left side.

Sony RX100 Mark III:
Spoiler

Olympus TG-850 (one of the rare few all-weather cameras to sport a flip screen and a wider-than-usual lens):
Spoiler

One guy I know uses the Olympus TG Tracker, it's a bit dated now compared to most modern compacts and action cams, and the ultra wide view often suits video more than photography, but he's been using it for years and he often posts tons of photos on Strava.

Last edited by atwl77; 02-21-21 at 03:32 AM.
Likes For atwl77:
Old 02-21-21, 09:53 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I tried using my gopro9 today as point and shoot camera with no luck. It's so much easier to just use my phone. I can do everything with one hand.

True GoPro doesn’t work like a P&S, but it’s super simple and easy to just pull stills from video. Record 4k with ProTune on, and you can get still pics from the footage very easily in the GoPro app.

I rarely stop to shoot, but when I do, I compose the video like I want the photo and just shoot a couple of seconds, which gives 60 possible frames to use as the still when shooting at 30fps.

Mostly I just hit the shutter button and shoot short vids throughout a ride, and review for interesting stills in the GoPro app when I get back. It’s easy enough, but is a bit more work than just flipping through stills on a P&S. However, being able to do it all wireless via the phone makes working with and using the images way easier than plugging in a camera to a laptop; I can put pics up on my Strava ride while I’m still cooling down from the ride on the porch, which I think is super!
Old 02-21-21, 12:37 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Consider a Ricoh WG-70,
Carry one just about everywhere I ride.
Old 02-22-21, 08:41 PM
Ashloff

Bikes: Trek Slash 7 and kit ebike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I second chaadster but have an Insta 360. It's 360 so the beauty is in the editing. I can recrop videos and easily take a high-resolution snapshot from any angle. Plus it has a convenient app for the phone that allows for editing and snapshots.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.