Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Di2 Ultegra 6870 parts

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Di2 Ultegra 6870 parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-21, 04:52 AM
AngelPedaller

Bikes: Giant Defy 3, Cannondale CAAD12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Di2 Ultegra 6870 parts

Hi team,

I found the below shifters in Marketplace for 100EUR and I was wondering what else I need to make it a complete Groupset. I understand the standard parts like Derailleurs, brakes and Crank set but I believe there is more (cables, batteries etc.). I am running on brand new R7000 105 full group set (bought as one set) so does it worth the change or can I make any mix of the two?

Thank you

Old 05-11-21, 09:06 AM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
I have Ultegra 6870 on my bike and it works great. It came that way so I didn't build it myself, though. My advice is to go to the Shimano Technical Document web site here. In the search bar type in 6870 and look for document DM-UL0001-04-ENG.pdf. That's the dealer's manual on setup. Starting around page 17 it shows you all of the electronic bits you need to be concerned with and how to wire them up. Crank, brakes, casette, chain, etc... are standard stuff and don't necessarily need to be replaced.

--Brad
Likes For MidTNBrad:
Old 05-11-21, 09:24 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
In terms of equipment to switch to di2, you are only at the tip of the iceberg. Derailleurs, cables, battery, junction box, charger is all I can think off the top of my head.
Old 05-11-21, 10:56 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Add up what all the parts cost compared to a grey market group set. In the past it was 50% pre-covid.
Likes For popeye:
Old 05-12-21, 01:00 AM
AngelPedaller

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MidTNBrad
I have Ultegra 6870 on my bike and it works great. It came that way so I didn't build it myself, though. My advice is to go to the Shimano Technical Document web site here. In the search bar type in 6870 and look for document DM-UL0001-04-ENG.pdf. That's the dealer's manual on setup. Starting around page 17 it shows you all of the electronic bits you need to be concerned with and how to wire them up. Crank, brakes, casette, chain, etc... are standard stuff and don't necessarily need to be replaced.
Thank you very much,
Great document but I am already lost with the junction boxes.
Can you give me a list of items and codes that your bike has in order to get a start?

Originally Posted by colnago62
In terms of equipment to switch to di2, you are only at the tip of the iceberg. Derailleurs, cables, battery, junction box, charger is all I can think off the top of my head.
This is what I am afraid of. I checked the document from Shimano given by MidTNBrad and I got lost.
If I get the derailleurs and the shifters, what is in the middle? (for a simple setup)on CAAD12. Anyone has part codes?

Last edited by AngelPedaller; 05-12-21 at 01:04 AM.
Old 05-12-21, 04:29 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by AngelPedaller
Thank you very much,
Great document but I am already lost with the junction boxes.
Can you give me a list of items and codes that your bike has in order to get a start?

This is what I am afraid of. I checked the document from Shimano given by MidTNBrad and I got lost.
If I get the derailleurs and the shifters, what is in the middle? (for a simple setup)on CAAD12. Anyone has part codes?
Wires, the battery ( BT-DN110), and junction A and B.

Get the d-fly wireless junction which makes possible using the app to make software updates to your parts and tune the system. This will serve as your b junction which connects your front and rear mech to your battery and to your junction A and the shifters.

As long as they are all connected—they work.

The RS-910 bar end junction is my preference as the A junction and “control center”
Old 05-12-21, 09:18 AM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Here are the part numbers I have on my bike, both the ones that came with it at purchase time and what's currently on it now (I have only replaced the battery). This doesn't include the wires to connect everything together. Hope this helps.

Old 05-12-21, 09:54 AM
AngelPedaller

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MidTNBrad
Here are the part numbers I have on my bike, both the ones that came with it at purchase time and what's currently on it now (I have only replaced the battery). This doesn't include the wires to connect everything together. Hope this helps.

Missing part is "Shimano SM-JC41 Junction Box for Di2"
For wires, I see in the manual that all are the same except the RD connecting one which has EW-SD50(-I) designation. I presume however that it is no different than the others as I couldn't find anything on internet with this designation.
For the rest I see they are the same only with different lengths were I have to measure and order accordingly.

Thank you all very much for the effort. I go now seeking and see what I can find (and how much) as long as the shifters are not sold also...
Cheers to all

Last edited by AngelPedaller; 05-12-21 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-17-21, 01:37 AM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
EW-SD50-I is not actually an electric wire - it's a pack of Di2 "cable ties" that can be used to stop the wires from rattling around (in the downtube for example) ;-)
Likes For TerryDi2C:
Old 05-17-21, 01:56 AM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by AngelPedaller
I am running on brand new R7000 105 full group set (bought as one set) so does it worth the change or can I make any mix of the two?
A brand new R7000 105 full group set is pretty damn good. Unless you absolutely must have electronic shifting, just save your money and stick with R7000. Even better, spend the money you saved by sticking with R7000 on a new jersey, bib shorts, shoes, and... you get the idea
Likes For Kabuto:
Old 05-17-21, 09:11 AM
AngelPedaller

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
no you are right. I just did a market research since I found the shifters for 100EUR. I cannot find the rear derailleur used ANYWHERE on a decent price so project is already aborted... the guy who has the shifters eventually cracked and admitted that he bought them hoping to find the parts but...
I almost got in his position...

Last edited by AngelPedaller; 05-17-21 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-18-21, 05:24 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
For the bare minimum required to do Di2, you could check out this thread. Derailers, shifters, battery, A-junction, 3 wires and a bunch of soldering.