Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Specialized warranty check

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 01-31-22, 03:35 AM
Wwwalkie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hi Bikers, please provide your suggestions from your experiences.
i am a newbie to bikes and riding, purchased a new sirrus4 which is carbon frame 95 days ago, and ran into an issue now.
My slipped off chain on the smallest gear ring on the rear has scraped off the bike frame, and i without much knowledge tried to force pedal while the chain is slipped, causing the scratch into scraping off the carbon frame. Could you please suggest if I could try to get fhe frame replaced by specialized under warranty.
thanks much, i want to post pics of the scrape to even understand if it is a deep one or not, but as i just joined the forum it does not allow me to post pics.

thank you.
Old 01-31-22, 08:04 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Wwwalkie
Hi Bikers
Pic Assist - https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/23886844

Old 01-31-22, 08:37 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I have no experience with Specialized warranty. Did you purchase the bike new at a bike shop? If so, I would start there with questions about the seriousness of the damage and the possibility of warranty assistance.
Old 01-31-22, 11:26 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 407 Posts
unlikely warranty coverage - not a defect. but talk to the shop where you bought it and see what they suggest. first, they may attempt a warranty claim on your behalf, and second, they should have an opinion on whether that damage is cosmetic or structurally dangerous.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 01-31-22, 06:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I would say not a defect. If you had the bike serviced after purchase from a authorized dealer then I could say maybe you have a case but if you have just been riding the bike and didn't bring it back in to get tuned up after riding it (as cables settle and need to be readjusted) than I would say no. Certainly you could go back to the authorized dealer you bought it from, if you did that initially and see what they say but generally not maintaining a bike is not a warranty issue and I haven't seen any damage like that on any Sirrus 4s and we have sold a good bunch of them in the past couple years.

If you are interested in bikes join in on some different active threads of which there are many and you will be a fully functional member of this forum able to post pics and links.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-03-22, 08:16 PM
Wwwalkie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
I have no experience with Specialized warranty. Did you purchase the bike new at a bike shop? If so, I would start there with questions about the seriousness of the damage and the possibility of warranty assistance.
thank you, i bought the bike from an LBS 150miles away due to unavailability of the cycles recently, i have called that LBS and scheduled for some weekend as they said they need to look at in person for them to start a claim.
Old 02-03-22, 08:21 PM
Wwwalkie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
unlikely warranty coverage - not a defect. but talk to the shop where you bought it and see what they suggest. first, they may attempt a warranty claim on your behalf, and second, they should have an opinion on whether that damage is cosmetic or structurally dangerous.
thank you, i scheduled an appointment with the LBS i bought it from, looks like cosmetic damage at first, which might not be covered under warranty, but i an new to cycles, so wanted to understand if there has ti be enough width or gap, for the chain to stay out after it falls off that way frame will not be damaged. Chain fall off for what ever the cause may be, is still a common user and machanics error which should have been considered by giving enough gap for the chain space when it falls out of its crank.
Old 02-03-22, 08:30 PM
Wwwalkie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I would say not a defect. If you had the bike serviced after purchase from a authorized dealer then I could say maybe you have a case but if you have just been riding the bike and didn't bring it back in to get tuned up after riding it (as cables settle and need to be readjusted) than I would say no. Certainly you could go back to the authorized dealer you bought it from, if you did that initially and see what they say but generally not maintaining a bike is not a warranty issue and I haven't seen any damage like that on any Sirrus 4s and we have sold a good bunch of them in the past couple years.

If you are interested in bikes join in on some different active threads of which there are many and you will be a fully functional member of this forum able to post pics and links.
thank you, its been 3 months i bought the bike and LBS suggetsed i take it for first free tuning say around 100 to 150miles minimum.i have not touched the bike for a while and just started riding from january and rode about 60miles before this issue.
i have spoken to the LBS i bought from which is 150miles away,they suggested i take the bike for them to take a look inperson first then they would decide whether to start the warranty claim or not, and it is upto specialized to accept or deny.before making a 300mile roundtrip to the store, i wanted to see if anyone had similar situation experience which can help me to decide on the trip 😀

i have joined hybrid bicycles thread in this forum, will searh to see if there are any other threads useful for me, thank you
Old 02-03-22, 09:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
thank you, its been 3 months i bought the bike and LBS suggetsed i take it for first free tuning say around 100 to 150miles minimum.i have not touched the bike for a while and just started riding from january and rode about 60miles before this issue.
i have spoken to the LBS i bought from which is 150miles away,they suggested i take the bike for them to take a look inperson first then they would decide whether to start the warranty claim or not, and it is upto specialized to accept or deny.before making a 300mile roundtrip to the store, i wanted to see if anyone had similar situation experience which can help me to decide on the trip 😀

i have joined hybrid bicycles thread in this forum, will searh to see if there are any other threads useful for me, thank you
Yeah that is the best thing is to take it to them to have it looked at. It sound like you are putting in some mileage so not a bad thing but without tuning not so ideal.
Old 02-04-22, 07:36 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
thank you, i bought the bike from an LBS 150miles away due to unavailability of the cycles recently, i have called that LBS and scheduled for some weekend as they said they need to look at in person for them to start a claim.
For warranty service, you can take the bike to any S dealer; doesn't have to be the one you bought it in. Any dealer can tell you if S authorized (or denied) warranty service.
Old 02-09-22, 11:15 PM
Wwwalkie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Specialized accepted warranty claim for a different issue though

I took the bike to dealer, to claim for warranty for the scratches by the chain, along with that showed another eyelash length of slight line near the seat tube. Dealer said that the line near the seatpost is a concern and claimed for warranty, specialized accepted, and will send a replacement in april, and my current bike is with the dealer and specialized did not give permission for to ride it. Rather than being happy for a replacement, i am so disappointed for making be bike less for 2 months(as of now)
i just started biking since a month or 2, and was picking up pace and interest, now back to 0. Can anyone suggest if i can do any negotiations with specialized to get my old bike riding permit or to get me any available bike same or better than my current one asap.thanks
Old 02-09-22, 11:17 PM
Wwwalkie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Warranty claim accepted by specialized but i have to be bike less for 2 months

Hi Bikers, please provide your suggestions from your experiences.
i am a newbie to bikes and riding, purchased a new sirrus4 which is carbon frame 95 days ago, and ran into an issue now.
My slipped off chain on the smallest gear ring on the rear has scraped off the bike frame, and i without much knowledge tried to force pedal while the chain is slipped, causing the scratch into scraping off the carbon frame. Could you please suggest if I could try to get fhe frame replaced by specialized under warranty.
thanks much, i want to post pics of the scrape to even understand if it is a deep one or not, but as i just joined the forum it does not allow me to post pics.

thank you.
I took the bike to dealer, to claim for warranty for the scratches by the chain, along with that showed another eyelash length of slight line near the seat tube. Dealer said that the line near the seatpost is a concern and claimed for warranty, specialized accepted, and will send a replacement in april, and my current bike is with the dealer and specialized did not give permission for to ride it. Rather than being happy for a replacement, i am so disappointed for making be bike less for 2 months(as of now)
i just started biking since a month or 2, and was picking up pace and interest, now back to 0. Can anyone suggest if i can do any negotiations with specialized to get my old bike riding permit or to get me any available bike same or better than my current one asap.thanks
​​​​​​​
Old 02-15-22, 08:00 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9530 Post(s)
Liked 6,272 Times in 3,459 Posts
If there is a defect in the frame, the manufacturer will not want you riding it while you wait for a replacement. If the frame is defective, then there is an undesirable liability risk if it is on the road, especially after Spec confirmed the defective. Be grateful you are getting a new frame so quickly. Three months is not that long to wait.
Old 02-15-22, 08:47 PM
TPL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
no warranty on this one = not a manufacturers defect
Old 02-16-22, 08:19 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,889 Times in 1,646 Posts
Originally Posted by TPL
no warranty on this one = not a manufacturers defect
@TPL, read posts 11 and 12.
Old 02-16-22, 08:26 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
The thing about the scratches and gouges from the chain, this is generally not a warranty issue, but was the fault of whoever did the derailleur adjustment. The mechanism to stop the chain from jumping off the cogs is the rear derailleur limit screws - these are hard stops built into the rear derailleur so It cannot physically go far enough inboard or outboard to throw the chain. This is the first step in setting up a derailleur - adjusting limit screwsto get the end stops correct before the cable is installed.

Sometimes there is damage from rough handling or during transport or from a crash that results in the derailleur hanger getting bent and allowing the chain to go past the biggest cog, but rarely would this result in the chain falling off the smallest cog. Therefore I suspect the cause of the chain falling off is poor adjustment, either at the shop where you bought it, or whoever did adjustments after it was purchased.