Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling shorts

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-22, 08:27 AM
mtn drew

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Cycling shorts

So I'm new to mtn biking and just want to ask if a cycling shorts is a must have? Thanks
Old 03-11-22, 08:34 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Cycling shorts aren't required to ride any kind of bicycle.

The longer your rides, though, the more you may come to appreciate them.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 03-11-22, 08:38 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Depends if you like chaffing on your butt or not.

Google is always just a few clicks away...

https://gearjunkie.com/biking/what-a...-how-to-choose
Likes For prj71:
Old 03-11-22, 08:43 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by mtn drew
So I'm new to mtn biking and just want to ask if a cycling shorts is a must have? Thanks
Not a must-have, but generally a pretty good idea. Good cycling shorts have a few features that make them ideal for cycling. Things like the fit and cut, pocket positioning, liners, sweat wicking properties, hard wearing etc.
But be aware that there are people around here who go out of their way to avoid any form of cycling attire.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-11-22, 08:48 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
The more serious and hard that you ride, the more you'll find that the stuff made specifically for cycling is the better stuff to use.

If you don't ride a lot, or don't push the envelope of your fitness level, then you might not need specific cycling clothes.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-11-22, 09:45 AM
mtn drew

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I asked that same question about cycling shoes and was hesitant to buy one. I just recently got a RC brand shoes because it was on sale a couple weeks ago and after 3 rides, I really like wearing them and they have some protection on the toes compared to my converse shoes. Right now I am ok with wearing cotton shorts. I just feel a bit out when I ride with a group and they all wear "proper" cycling attire....
Old 03-11-22, 10:06 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
In my youth I did a 5400 mile tour wearing cutoff jeans and tighty whities. So no, you don't need cycling shorts. That said, I never ride without them for the past 40+ years. You figure it out.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 03-11-22, 10:06 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
The only advice I can give you is to go out for a couple of rides and find out for yourself if you need cycling shorts or not. Don't take other peoples word for it...Go out and experiment with different types of clothing and soon you will learn what works for your needs and what doesn't.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 03-11-22, 10:18 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I just feel a bit out when I ride with a group and they all wear "proper" cycling attire....

Ok so it's not about comfort and function, it's more about peer pressure to fit in and look like everybody else...Me personally I have offended many cyclists because I failed to wear a proper cycling outfit"...but I don't care what others think...It's my time on a bike and I can wear whatever i want.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 03-11-22, 10:23 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
my go-to combo begins w/ Zoot brand trishorts. I use them in place of underwear or some other liner. I tried separate liners & shorts that came w/ liners but didn't like them

then on top, for the world to see, I use Zoic brand mountain bike shorts (I buy the models w/o the liner). they offer features & benefits non cycling shorts don't provide, such as fit, pockets & quick drying

Last edited by rumrunn6; 03-14-22 at 08:19 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 03-11-22, 10:46 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Split the difference and wear liner shorts under whatever regular shorts (or pants) you normally wear. You’ll get all of the benefits of a cycling specific pair of shorts without compromising your style.

Some people spend lots of money to make a fashion statement as a cyclist. Others try to avoid the “super hero” look. You do you.
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 03-11-22, 10:50 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
In the past few months I now wear lightweight MTB shorts over a pair of Black Bibshorts.
I like the extra side pockets and sunblock above the knees.

I do not know if I will continue this in the hot summer months but I preferred this over wearing tights or thermal knicker bibshorts.
Less restriction and more comfy.

Find what works for your needs and do not skimp on contact points.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 03-11-22, 10:57 AM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Me personally I have offended many cyclists because I failed to wear a proper cycling outfit... but I don't care what others think...
Delusions of recalcitrance. I somehow doubt it's the clothes that offend.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 03-11-22, 11:38 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Bike shorts have some significant advantages in terms of comfort. For MTB, I prefer to wear liner style shorts with looser fitting shorts on top. Most others I MTB with will do the same, but some don't like the two-layer setup and will just wear regular road shorts. Up top I see people wearing all kinds of stuff from tight aero road jerseys to flappy t-shirts.
Old 03-11-22, 11:40 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Ok so it's not about comfort and function, it's more about peer pressure to fit in and look like everybody else...Me personally I have offended many cyclists because I failed to wear a proper cycling outfit"...but I don't care what others think...It's my time on a bike and I can wear whatever i want.
How you perceive reality has been shown to be wildly off base more times than anyone here can count. You really think you offend cyclists because you dont wear what they expect you to wear? Why do you think your clothing choice is so important to others?
When I played basketball, I wore basketball shoes because they felt good when doing the activity. When I snorkeled, I wore flippers because they helped when doing the activity. When I golfed I wore golf shoes because they planted me better than running shoes and the firm toe box felt better. I could go on and on.

Point is- nobody goes for a run in ski boots and nobody climbs mountains in flipflops. These things dont exist because of peer pressure, they exist because they have been found to be the best item for the job for most people. Your insecurity is separate for all that.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-11-22, 11:51 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I asked that same question about cycling shoes and was hesitant to buy one. I just recently got a RC brand shoes because it was on sale a couple weeks ago and after 3 rides, I really like wearing them and they have some protection on the toes compared to my converse shoes. Right now I am ok with wearing cotton shorts. I just feel a bit out when I ride with a group and they all wear "proper" cycling attire....
Shoes for MTB are definitely a personal preference. I know many riders that use platform pedals for MTB (with flat bottom sturdy shoes like the RC's you mention). The alternative would be clipless pedals, which some people love for MTB and some hate. I'm in the love category and wear SPD shoes for all my trail riding. Some of this depends on riding style and how frequently you're taking your feet off the pedals, but there's no right answer here.

As far as worrying about fitting in, MTB is pretty low key compared to roadie culture - I doubt anyone else out on the trail really cares what you're wearing.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 03-11-22, 12:44 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
As far as worrying about fitting in, MTB is pretty low key compared to roadie culture - I doubt anyone else out on the trail really cares what you're wearing.
Old 03-11-22, 12:53 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Typically when I see a sentence opened with a superfluous "Ok so" I know that what follows will scarcely be worth the read, and your post didn't disappoint.

I cannot comfortably ride more than 5 miles without padded shorts. It's a pressure rather than a chafing issue for me.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 03-11-22, 02:52 PM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
I actually wear mtb cycling shorts pretty much all the time, both on and off the bike. I have a pair of these that are the most comfortable, super lightweight shorts I've ever owned. Expensive for shorts, but I wear them daily and they don't seem to show any wear or tear. The material they use is amazing. I have the separate very lightly padded liners too, but obviously only wear those on the bike. They are so much more comfortable than my generic everyday cotton shorts that I've pretty much abandoned them all in favour of just wearing these!

https://7mesh.com/farside-shorts
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-11-22, 06:46 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I have a couple pairs of mtb shorts with a separate padded liner that I wore for a few years. I’m currently wearing nylon cargo shorts I got at Kohl’s without any padded liner. By currently I mean as I post this because they are the same shorts I normally wear.

I used to wear a loose fitting low key jersey mt biking but I have some polyester T’s that work well.

I wear lycra shorts and a cycling jersey when I ride my road bike; unless I ride with someone who just wears regular shorts.

John
Old 03-11-22, 08:23 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
If you're new to the activity, you might consider that the people in your group, who probably have more riding experience, have chosen "proper" cycling attire for a reason.
Old 03-11-22, 09:04 PM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I just feel a bit out when I ride with a group and they all wear "proper" cycling attire....
I usually wear a chamois liner under Kuhl shorts, and a non-cotton T-shirt. Most of the guys I ride with don't wear cycling attire either, and those who do don't care one way or another.

Like with most sartorial matters, it really comes down to the shoes.
Old 03-14-22, 12:18 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
For mtn biking I like wearing bike shorts because they are more comfortable. If it's cooler outside I just wear shorts over a pair of roadie shorts. In warmer weather I'll wear baggy mtb shorts that have a padded seat in them. I just find it more comfortable that way with a padded seat.
Old 03-14-22, 11:47 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 280 Posts
You'll only have to mash the cajones a couple times to figure out why those funny looking shorts are used by so many people
Old 03-14-22, 06:37 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Not required, but everyone I know who has been riding for long ends up getting cycling shorts or at least a chamois liner to wear under something else

I really like the Patagonia Endless Ride liners and the Zioc Ether shell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.