Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Buying an Older Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Buying an Older Bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-22, 03:55 AM
bellboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buying an Older Bike

I want to buy a used Bianchi road bike to replace my hybrid but don't want to spend a lot. Those in a price range I like seem to come from early to late 2000s.

My question is: assuming reasonable maintenance, would the brakes, derailleurs, shifters, etc., still be good, that is, not need replacing on a 15-20-year-old bike? The groupsets are Shimano, either 105, Ultegra, or a combination of the two.

Ron
Old 06-02-22, 05:56 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
It depends on how used up the bike is. Metal parts wear and plastic/rubber parts harden and crack. Some parts are expensive to replace and others not so much. Maybe you have a knowledgeable friend that can help check out candidates.
Likes For sced:
Old 06-02-22, 06:44 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by bellboy
I want to buy a used Bianchi road bike to replace my hybrid but don't want to spend a lot. Those in a price range I like seem to come from early to late 2000s.

My question is: assuming reasonable maintenance, would the brakes, derailleurs, shifters, etc., still be good, that is, not need replacing on a 15-20-year-old bike? The groupsets are Shimano, either 105, Ultegra, or a combination of the two.

Ron
So, you don't want to spend a lot. Bianchis usually sell at a price premium over other less well known equally good bike brands of the same era. I wouldn't fixate on one particular brand of bike in the used market. As to components, you have to understand that Shimano 105 or Ultegra have been made for many years in multiple generations going from the earliest to the most recent evolving to more and more rear cassette cogs and types of shifters so that you have to know specifically which version you are dealing with. Any used bike has been used and can exhibit various states of wear and tear. They can vary from very good condition to money pit status. The older the bike, the more money you may have to spend to get the bike into good riding condition. Another variable in the mix is how well the bike will fit you, a really good deal on a bike that is too big or too small isn't a good deal at all
Old 06-02-22, 06:57 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22590 Post(s)
Liked 8,924 Times in 4,157 Posts
Likely ok.

You may want to be ready to replace wear items: cables/brake shoes/chain, and if you are not comfortable doing this it will easily add $150 to the cost to pay a shop for parts/labor.
Old 06-02-22, 07:41 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Just to restate what was said a little earlier, you'd be buying old components on that bike. Those exact model and part number long out of production. Depending on what goes bad, you might have to buy two other new components along with the bad component just to satisfy the compatibility requirements.

While you might find the bikes you are looking at will work well in the short term of two or three years for your budget, they might be a waste of money for the long term

Whatever you get in a used bike, make certain everything works or that you get it at a price that you can replace everything on it and not feel bad.

Haven't had my coffee yet this morning. Apologies for the doom and gloom response.
Old 06-02-22, 09:31 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
That really just depends on how heavily used those things are.

Originally Posted by Iride01
Depending on what goes bad, you might have to buy two other new components along with the bad component just to satisfy the compatibility requirements.
If we're talking 20-year old Ultegra or 105, what single point of failure would require two new parts in addition to the failed part?

Actually, if you're willing to go off-brand, I think nearly everything in those groupsets could be drop-in replaced with current options. Pre-2015 10-speed shifters are an awkward point, but I think Microshift's R10 brifters are compatible.
Old 06-02-22, 10:00 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10421 Post(s)
Liked 11,882 Times in 6,088 Posts
So much depends on how much it was ridden, and where, as well as how well it was taken care of. For example, if the previous owners did a lot of descending, and thus a lot of braking, the rims might be worn out. Another thing - My 2006 Bianchi came with Fulcrum wheels, and on the rear, cracks developed around all the spoke holes, requiring a new wheel, so check wheels CAREFULLY. The previous owner(s) might or might not have routinely cleaned the drivetrain, replaced the chain, etc. If yes, then the chainrings and cassette might still be in good condition. If not, they might need replacement. Cables should probably be replaced, but whether the housings need replacing depends on how much the bike was used and whether they've ever been replaced - I always replace both when I get another used bike, plus I replace them every few years, depending on how much I ride.

Basically, unless you like doing the work yourself, I'd find a bike shop you trust and have them go over any bike you want to buy.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-02-22, 02:03 PM
bellboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
So, you don't want to spend a lot. Bianchis usually sell at a price premium...
... you have to know specifically which version you are dealing with. ..
...Another variable in the mix is how well the bike will fit you,
Bianchi is simply my personal fave. I like the style, the history, etc. I also have an Italian motorcycle along with my '12 Torino hybrid.
Would the version of Shimano bits make a difference in judging how well they've held up? I realize it will vary due to many factors. I expected to hear either "yeah, those things last forever," or "if they're that old they're crap."
In terms of fit, I'm just considering frame size (52-56cm). Not a serious bicyclist, no need for much customization.
Old 06-02-22, 02:26 PM
bellboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
...While you might find the bikes you are looking at will work well in the short term of two or three years for your budget, they might be a waste of money for the long term
Two or three years out I might have to replace something? On a bike I saved $1000 for not buying new? Not a problem.
What I actually expect is to buy one that seems good to my eye then take it to a shop for a tune-up. That's when I may get some bad news but I can't imagine it would outweigh the savings in purchase price.
Re price, when I was considering new, or nearly new, it might have been a Via Nirone 7/105, probably between $1600-1900. Then I browsed some used specimens and thought, why should I spend so much for my level of riding?
Not to mention, there aren't many offerings within an 2-hour's drive from where I live. So just making a trip to look at a candidate is something of a commitment. Also makes it awkward to take to a shop for a checkup before buying. Having suffered some degree of buyer’s remorse for much larger investments (house, RV), going out on a limb for a bicycle isn't intimidating.

Last edited by bellboy; 06-02-22 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-02-22, 03:35 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Two or three years out I might have to replace something? On a bike I saved $1000 for not buying new? Not a problem.
No, you might well have to replace something on a new bike.

What I meant by 2 or 3 years out is that if you don't currently have a good bit of road bike riding experience already, then whatever you get now, you might find that it's not what you really wanted. And 2 or 3 years worth of riding experience on road bikes you'll have a much better idea what to get and what you want. If you ride a lot and you have the cash, then you might not mind spending the money on a mid to high priced bike.

So if you don't have a lot of experience, then get the lowest price bike that fits the conditions you will be riding.

As far as your comparison to where a bike fits in your budget for other things, you probably have the right idea. But still I wouldn't max out your budget for a 10 - 20 year old bike. Even if the new bike you were looking at was 1200 to 1500 dollars, then I personally feel the used bikes at a 1000 less were priced too high.

Though it might be that you live outside the USA, so I really can't make new and used comparisons that will apply.
Old 06-02-22, 07:05 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,586 Times in 1,222 Posts
If you are getting shimano components, good chance it is not Italian made.
Old 06-03-22, 03:33 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
I have 105 and Ultegra components from the late 80s and early 90s that work as well as my 105 and Ultegra components that are 1-5 years old.

I have also stripped off ans replaced 105 and Ultegra components that are old and a total mess.

If the bikes you are looking at are 20 years old and the drivetrains shift how they should, then you are likely fine. Just make sure the chain is lubed and the brake pads are fresh. Hardened brake pads are about all I would care about on a 20yo bike that shifts how it should shift.
Old 06-04-22, 05:39 AM
huffman 

Bikes: Niner Jet 9 • Santa Cruz 5010 • Litespeed Watia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Tire size limitations

I ride a 21 yo Litespeed and have come to the realization the older bikes were designed to run smaller tires, 25 max on the rear of mine and it rubs when climbing out of the saddle. The current trend for larger tires running lower pressure for comfort may not work depending on the bike you get.

I’m also having to make drivetrain compromises as parts wear out because replacements aren't available. Good luck with whatever you get.
Old 06-04-22, 06:04 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Old bikes can be good!

When I was in Belgium a few weeks ago, I couldn't find a rental so my brother-in-law offered me the use of an old Bianchi ML3 - a road bike from the early '90's.

It is an aluminium bike, quite heavy but also entry level so to be expected. It hadn't been ridden for more than a decade. It even had the original tyres!

I used it for the 4 days I was there. No problems at all. If it was mine, I would have changed the tyres and tubes, run new cables and put on new brake pads but other than that, it only needed a clean. Everything worked just fine. I did a 50mi+ ride including the famous Koppenberg climb on it on day 2 and it handled the cobbles no problem.

It is probably worth all of about $200 max. Likely less. But rode well.

Old 06-05-22, 01:07 PM
bellboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
If you are getting shimano components, good chance it is not Italian made.
What isn't Italian, the components or the bike? Shimano is a Japanese company. From what I've read some of their stuff is made in Malaysia and the higher-end bits in Japan. The components don't determine the real lineage of the bike, to my mind.
The Bianchi bikes are manufactured to a great extent in Taiwan but that doesn't make them "Chinese". Design and standards, I have to assume, are still Bianchi.
Old 06-05-22, 01:12 PM
bellboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to hear the positive comments re older bikes and components. Thanks to everyone for the helpful input.
Old 06-05-22, 03:36 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,586 Times in 1,222 Posts
What isn't Italian, the components or the bike? Shimano is a Japanese company. From what I've read some of their stuff is made in Malaysia and the higher-end bits in Japan. The components don't determine the real lineage of the bike, to my mind.
The Bianchi bikes are manufactured to a great extent in Taiwan but that doesn't make them "Chinese". Design and standards, I have to assume, are still Bianchi.
It matters to some. Take Schwinn for an example. I have no problem with the ishiwata frames.