Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

44/28t double crankset?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

44/28t double crankset?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-22, 03:58 PM
alexk_il

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts
44/28t double crankset?

Thinking of upgrading my Boardman Hybrid bike (FSA 50/34t + Shimano 11-32t) to 44-28t cranksets. Will the following work?
  • A used crankset with 64/104 bcd, something like Shimano FC-M785. I think 64/104 are for triple speeds, for double they simply skip the middle ring right?
  • Replace the chainrings to 28t/44t. Do I need a spacer? I think 64/104 are for triple speeds, for double they simply skip the middle ring, right?
  • Find something to adapt my BB30 to whatever Shimano cranks are using
Anything caveats I should be aware? Will it be a horrible mistake if I push the inner ring to 26t in this combo? Any recommendations for the shifters for 44/26t?

A noob here, please be gentle.
Old 06-13-22, 05:05 AM
alexk_il

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts
OK, answering my own question, just in case someone finds it useful in the future.

The easiest way seems to use a triple speed crank, use the two lower cogs for the work and the upper mount as a chainguard. SPA Cycles offers something similar based on a replicas of Sugino cranksets. Can't post a link on this forum for some reason, just google for "SPA CYCLES TD2/RD2 Super Compact Chainset", you should find it

Last edited by alexk_il; 06-13-22 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-13-22, 05:34 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by alexk_il
The easiest way seems to use a triple speed crank, use the two lower cogs for the work and the upper mount as a chainguard. SPA Cycles offers something similar based on a replicas of Sugino cranksets. Can't post a link by this site for some reason, just google for "SPA CYCLES TD2/RD2 Super Compact Chainset", you should find it
Yes, this is what is commonly done. You could also use thinner chain ring bolts/nuts on your large ring and mount it in the second position without the chainguard in the third position.

The link to SPA Cycles: https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m8b0s109...h-Zicral-Rings