Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

creaky 14 y.o. saddle. Time for a new one?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-21-22, 11:16 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts

I have a creak in my saddle when rocking side to side (exaggerates it) that's starting to bug me. I tried grease and wax lube in the rail to saddle shell interface with no luck. There is movement between the rails and the plastic interface to the saddle. Don't know if it's wear or supposed to do that. Saddle is 14 years old. Otherwise I've been happy with it

Is the saddle toast and time to get a new one? (My buddy says it is, I'm being cheap and cautious)

Its the original saddle that came with my 2007 Specialized Roubaix
Old 06-22-22, 05:50 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
I have a creak in my saddle when rocking side to side (exaggerates it) that's starting to bug me. I tried grease and wax lube in the rail to saddle shell interface with no luck. There is movement between the rails and the plastic interface to the saddle. Don't know if it's wear or supposed to do that. Saddle is 14 years old. Otherwise I've been happy with it

Is the saddle toast and time to get a new one? (My buddy says it is, I'm being cheap and cautious)

Its the original saddle that came with my 2007 Specialized Roubaix
if the rails are coming loose, then yes, get a new saddle. If you’re really attached to this one (and the top isn’t too worn), I suppose you could remove it and try dripping some epoxy into the holes where the frame rails enter the plastic, to see if you can stop things moving.
Old 06-22-22, 05:51 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked 577 Times in 435 Posts
I'd say it reached the end of its life, but it's hard to diagnose without seeing it.

Treat yourself and go to one of these shops that have a perfect-saddle-for-your-butt machine. A very good 150-200$ investment if you ask.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 06-22-22, 01:56 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Ended up going to my LBS. Owner was very helpful as I brought in my bike so he could recommend and install to the same setting. He checked my flexibility (which sucks) and adjusted the saddle height and position after watching me ride. He said he doesn't understand why people just come in and buy a saddle and install themselves as they often won't be happy if they don't get it fitted properly. He gave me a lot of tips to prevent neck and back pain

No extra charge. I'll be going there from now on

Got one of these: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/po...=233329-156800
Old 06-22-22, 02:23 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I have never met a saddle that doesn't start creaking over time. Will always be on the lookout for hacks that help solve that issue.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 06-25-22, 10:19 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Spray some synthetic lube where the rails meet the saddle shell. Should solve your problems.
Old 09-25-22, 08:10 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox Farm
Spray some synthetic lube where the rails meet the saddle shell. Should solve your problems.
Any reason in particular for synthetic lube -- vs. eg. TriFlow or somesuch?
Old 09-25-22, 08:54 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,583 Times in 2,897 Posts
What’s the expression? Creaking butts drive me nuts.

Old 09-25-22, 09:00 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
In my experience about 50% of the time they can be fixed with good cleaning and a little lube in the right places. The other 50% get tossed.
Old 09-25-22, 10:11 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Well I had some creaking on my last ride that was quite bothersome. Sprayed some Triflow where the rear saddle rail enters the shell of the saddle itself. Removed creaking with just a hand-compress testing of rail to saddle top which could be heard previously. I guess was just wondering if there's any common issue of some sorts of lubricants/carrier dissolving any epoxy that might (?) be used in the rail/saddle junction -- iow could this be a temporary fix that just makes things worse longer term?
Old 09-25-22, 04:13 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
Ended up going to my LBS. Owner was very helpful as I brought in my bike so he could recommend and install to the same setting. He checked my flexibility (which sucks) and adjusted the saddle height and position after watching me ride. He said he doesn't understand why people just come in and buy a saddle and install themselves as they often won't be happy if they don't get it fitted properly. He gave me a lot of tips to prevent neck and back pain

No extra charge. I'll be going there from now on

Got one of these: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/po...=233329-156800
so, 2 months later... whatz the verdict ? what size did you get?
Ride On
Yuri
Old 09-25-22, 06:49 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3125 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
14 years was well time for replacement regardless of creaking— which was probably a crack in the shell— because I don’t know what kind of foam or padding wouldn’t have lost loft and resiliency in that time, ceasing to pad as it did when new.

And before someone starts in on the benefits of a slung leather saddle like Brooks, Ideale, or Anatomica…yeah, I know!
Old 09-25-22, 10:09 PM
Symox

Originally Posted by cyclezen
so, 2 months later... whatz the verdict ? what size did you get?
Ride On
Yuri
I'm very happy with it, much nicer saddle than what I had actually