Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Trouble Removing Chainring

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-22, 07:55 PM
Ledhead89

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey All!

I was wanting to do some overhauling on my bike. I was wanting to replace my front chainrings but am having trouble removing it.

it's a 3 ring front set and I'm wanting to just go with a single speed front chainring. I can see the screws where the chainring attaches to the cranks. However the screws/fasteners are completely circular on the inside (they're not stripped, just circular). Also on the back side of the rings it's also smooth as well, nowhere where you could insert something to get any sort of leverage. I'm not sure if I'm describing that well enough, but has anybody seen these on chainrings before and know how to remove them?
Old 05-02-22, 08:06 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Are you sure your rings are really bolted together? There are many low cost cranks that have bolt like shaped outer faces on the rivets that hold the rings. These usually have a smooth/ring like back side. Andy
Old 05-02-22, 09:05 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Sounds like it's a riveted triple, like a Shimano Tourney or Altus, or a Suntour unit.

ID the bike and the crankset.

Last edited by Rolla; 05-02-22 at 09:09 PM.
Likes For Rolla: