Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacement V Brakes

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Replacement V Brakes

Old 05-05-22, 04:42 PM
jwr0201

Bikes: Trek Lattitude MTB Specialized Crossroads Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Replacement V Brakes

Work continues on the needy 2008 Crossroads. Now I'm looking to replace the corroded front & rear V brakes with new and am not sure which to go with.
First, is the length to use 109mm?
Next, which brand do you all recommend...and which models of these brakes would you recommend?
Promax V Alloy
Tektro
Shimano
Thanks for all the help!
RR
Old 05-05-22, 07:33 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
Are the brakes corroded? or just the pads? I have some 45 year old brakes in my basement that aren't corroded even after that long time. I wouldn't think anything on a 2008 Crossroads would be that bad unless the bike was sitting in the elements that whole time and even then...
Old 05-05-22, 07:40 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Dunno about the length; probably match what you currently have. Avid, Shimano, and Tektro are fine -- not a heck of a lot of difference between them. I have a set of (Tektro) TRPs that I like, but Some good ol' Shimano Deores would serve you well.
Old 05-05-22, 08:00 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
How much above the tire is the brake cable as it crosses between the brake arms? How big a tire do you want to have clearance for? Do know that while longer brake arms provide more leverage at their end of the system it costs lever pull and feel. Brakes are a trade off between lever pull, cable pull, brake arm, pad/rim gap. And riders have opinions as to how they want their system to feel and act. With no other data I suggest duplicating the brake arm length best possible and be less concerned about brand. Cable operated brakes are very simple devices. The gains from more expensive parts that otherwise share the same dimensions with lower cost options are about pivot slop and finish (for the most part), not power or stiffness. Andy (who knows that brake boss posts are all over the board as far as tolerances are concerned)
Old 05-05-22, 08:30 PM
jwr0201

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
Are the brakes corroded? or just the pads? I have some 45 year old brakes in my basement that aren't corroded even after that long time. I wouldn't think anything on a 2008 Crossroads would be that bad unless the bike was sitting in the elements that whole time and even then...

Yeah, all of the screws, bolts and metal (other than aluminum) have a good amount of surface rust. Previous owner did not care well for this bike.
I'm replacing old, ugly, worn brakes and a number of other rusty parts.
Old 05-05-22, 09:44 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
What is easily available in your area? Shimano are a safe choice, if you can get them, and will probably out last all the other brands you have noted for corrosion.

For the length question, there are only 2 choices of liner pull (V) brakes, mini and standard, mini wasn't common back in 2008, and is still only really used for CX bikes so unless you have a CX setup with road bike/Canti brake levers, then the standard length (for MTB brake levers) will type to get. When you're looking at liner pull brakes, you normally have to actively look for mini's, as they are uncommon, the standard type will be what is generally available.
Old 05-08-22, 07:54 AM
jwr0201

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
This is great info - very little detail online that actually states that longer arms are more applicable to road, hybrid bikes. Appreciate this a lot - helped me make the choice.
Old 05-08-22, 03:47 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
What is easily available in your area? Shimano are a safe choice, if you can get them, and will probably out last all the other brands you have noted for corrosion.

For the length question, there are only 2 choices of liner pull (V) brakes, mini and standard, mini wasn't common back in 2008, and is still only really used for CX bikes so unless you have a CX setup with road bike/Canti brake levers, then the standard length (for MTB brake levers) will type to get. When you're looking at liner pull brakes, you normally have to actively look for mini's, as they are uncommon, the standard type will be what is generally available.
Not quite correct. I just did a quick look at the many V brakes listed from the J&B whole sale supplier and the arm lengths ranged from 85mm to 135mm. They fell into a few, sort of, families of length, being aprox. 85mm, 101mm, 110mm and 135mm. Besides the hope of matching the lever's cable pull with the brake arm lengths, to have the intended system mechanical advantage/lever feel good, the cable must avoid the tire and any fender. This is why I suggested just matching the OEM arm lengths. But this assumes the bike was speced well and not only check the boxes. Andy
Old 05-08-22, 04:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
V-brakes are a good option, Shimano has always made good stuff, but any linear pull brake would work fine ideally don't but the cheapest stuff so you don't have a lot of flex in the arms. The most important thing is getting good quality shoes, pads, cables and housing. I recommend SwissStop or Kool Stop for pads and having a good set of separate shoes that are nice and stiff, don't buy integrated pads make sure they are replaceable. In terms of cables and housing, find cables that are stainless steel, uncoated and ideally polished to be nice and smooth and housing should ideally be compressionless for brakes and allow the cable to travel smoothly. For those I recommend Jagwire and the reason for uncoated is that coating can come off and muck up your housing.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-08-22, 06:50 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
For the length question, there are only 2 choices of liner pull (V) brakes, mini and standard...
There is actually quite a bit of variation in linear pull brake arm length: https://www.gravelbike.com/v-brake-arm-lengths/

Some are definitely "long" and some are definitely "short", but there is quite a continuum of options between what you might define as "long" or "short".
Old 05-09-22, 06:21 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
I put Shimano XT M770 v-brakes and Deore T610 long pull levers on my old Trek. I completely trust them to stop me. I don't know how big a tire will fit, but I don't see any problem putting a 2.25 in there either.

Last edited by zacster; 05-09-22 at 06:32 AM.