Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How often do you clean your brake pads?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.
View Poll Results: How often do you clean your brake rotors (or rim surface) and pads?
Regularly (How often)
7.89%
Here and There
31.58%
No
60.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-22, 12:30 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts

I am referring to disc brakes here in specific, but this would very much apply to regular rim brakes as well.

After pulling out the pads on all three of my bikes, and scrubbing them down with a metal brush, I find that the braking performance is now stronger and smoother. I will now get into the habit of doing this regularly, as all three bikes had heavily caked on brake dust/dirt mixed together which is then glazed into the pad due to the heat. I used a softer bristle brush to remove excess dust after removing the dirty layer. Avoid using a rag unless it is perfectly clean as you will just rub oil into the pad.
Old 05-02-22, 12:44 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Almost never. Although sometimes I might get something on the rotors while cleaning or lubing my bike and I'll spray a little isopropyl or ethanol on them and wipe them clean.
Old 05-02-22, 01:12 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by Iride01
Almost never. Although sometimes I might get something on the rotors while cleaning or lubing my bike and I'll spray a little isopropyl or ethanol on them and wipe them clean.
I was pretty disappointed with the performance on the front mechanical brake on my gravel bike, which degraded quickly after a month or so of hard, infrequent use. After cleaning the pads and rotors, and doing some gentle re-bedding, I find that the stopping power is much more acceptable.

Interesting how all three of my bike responded somewhat differently after doing the same pad and rotor cleaning for each set of brakes respectively.
Old 05-02-22, 01:16 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

good braking habits involve linear, gentle application of braking force, which allows for enough gentle heat transfer to ensure good bedding between rotor and pad while keeping the rotor surface relatively clean.

Doing hard, random stops, especially in dirty conditions is pretty awful for the longevity and overall performance of your brakes. keeping the surfaces clean and occaisonally applying some gentle braking down a steep hill would be really helpful in such conditions.
Old 05-02-22, 01:32 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I'm not sure I agree with the gentle braking. Especially if it's long periods going down long slopes. Gentle braking I reserve for the times I need to feather the brakes, usually the rear for me. Otherwise, when I need brakes, I use them. IMO, slowing down quickly generates less heat over all then dragging a brake forever to slow down. I'm not saying do a max effort braking though. Though depending on the situation and exactly how you are using the brakes, YMMV.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-02-22, 02:04 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by Iride01
I'm not sure I agree with the gentle braking. Especially if it's long periods going down long slopes. Gentle braking I reserve for the times I need to feather the brakes, usually the rear for me. Otherwise, when I need brakes, I use them. IMO, slowing down quickly generates less heat over all then dragging a brake forever to slow down. I'm not saying do a max effort braking though. Though depending on the situation and exactly how you are using the brakes, YMMV.
Hard stops are obviously the reason for the most wear, particularly because the pads and rotors are forced to contact each other without sufficient heat being applied during the initial stages of braking.
Old 05-02-22, 02:08 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
After cleaning the pads and rotors, and doing some gentle re-bedding, I find that the stopping power is much more acceptable.
I will now get into the habit of doing this regularly
keeping the surfaces clean and occaisonally applying some gentle braking down a steep hill would be really helpful

Sounds like you've got it figured out already -- I don't see the point of the thread/poll.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-02-22, 02:15 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Hard stops are obviously the reason for the most wear, particularly because the pads and rotors are forced to contact each other without sufficient heat being applied during the initial stages of braking.
It not obvious to me.

For cars, trucks and even bicycles, most of the stuff I've read suggests firm braking is better for brake pad and rotor life. Dragging ones brakes is ineffective for stopping and just creates unnecessary heat which is bad for every thing.

Now if you are talking about hard stops where the bike or any other vehicle is going so fast that the braking can't be accomplished before the parts get too hot, then I might agree.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-02-22, 02:16 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by Rolla
Sounds like you've got it figured out already -- I don't see the point of the thread/poll.
Mostly to bring this to the attention of the visitors to this thread. My knowledge on brakes stems from experience directly from automobiles.

The pad compound for disc brakes on most bikes i've seen are high performance, designed primarily for hard, irregular use. These type of compounds are dusty and require more cleaning than others.

The linear use of brakes can't always be followed for safety reason. If you rarely get the chance to get some smooth, long stops in, you'll want to take apart your brakes to clean and allow for re bedding more often.

Assuming your pads are coming into contact with the rotors evenly, occasional linear, controlled stops at maybe 75% reasonable effort without locking your tires is super critical for long term performance.

Last edited by Moisture; 05-02-22 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-02-22, 02:21 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Iride01 You're exactly right.
Old 05-02-22, 02:23 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
Why is it that companies like Shimano that make disc brakes and pads never suggest these sorts of cleaning rituals?

Apart from sanding superficially contaminated pads, at best this is unlikely to do anything useful. You are probably far more likely to further contaminate your pads than you are to restore them using the procedure you suggest.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-02-22, 02:38 PM
Rolla

Mostly to bring this to the attention of the visitors to this thread.
So this is really a PSA of dubious value disguised as a question you already have the answer to, with a poll whose results are irrelevant. Carry on.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-02-22, 02:48 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Why is it that companies like Shimano that make disc brakes and pads never suggest these sorts of cleaning rituals?

Apart from sanding superficially contaminated pads, at best this is unlikely to do anything useful. You are probably far more likely to further contaminate your pads than you are to restore them using the procedure you suggest.
I would never want to have that dust infused black dirt on my brake pads... the same ones that I rely on to keep me safe during a good thrashing. Enough said.

Originally Posted by Rolla
So this is really a PSA of dubious value disguised as a question you already have the answer to, with a poll whose results are irrelevant. Carry on.
It is an undeniable learning experience for fellows such as yourself
Old 05-02-22, 03:00 PM
Rolla

It is an undeniable learning experience for fellows such as yourself
Nothing I've learned here has anything to do with brakes.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-02-22, 03:14 PM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I will file the surface of rubber brake pads that are glazed or use the file to smooth them if they have a ridge (caused by rims that have an indentation) and then clean the rim using isopropyl alcohol. This can improve braking if the pads are still relatively pliant but not if they are old and hardened. This often provides some improvement in braking but falls short of what can be achieved by replacing the pads. Filing does not work for disc pads and I have not found a way to clean them but I do use isopropyl alcohol and sometimes Brakekleen to clean rotors. This can sometimes cure squealing but often replacement of pads and rotors is needed.
Old 05-02-22, 03:45 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I started to respond to all the things Moisture gets wrong in this thread, but it would be a lot easy to just state the parts I agree with.
That’s about it.

Last edited by Kapusta; 05-02-22 at 03:57 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 05-02-22, 06:16 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
I would never want to have that dust infused black dirt on my brake pads... the same ones that I rely on to keep me safe during a good thrashing. Enough said.
Take the pads out and tap them on a hard surface. The "dust", which is from the pads themselves, will fall off. This the the magical force of gravity at work. Wipe off the pistons while you are at it.
Old 05-02-22, 06:25 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
I picked "No" in the poll as that was the closest option to never. I don't consider brake dust to be contamination.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 05-02-22, 07:08 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
This is all nonsense...But then, that was a foregone conclusion, since Moisty is the OP.

It still makes for fun reading, though.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-03-22, 09:07 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
I’ve got one bike with some vintage Campy Omega dark anodized rims, on that one I clean the pads quite often, trying to keep brake surface from becoming silver. So far successful, my others with silver rims never.
Tim
Old 05-03-22, 10:16 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I squeeze the brakes easy when I wont to come to stop slowly, I squeeze them a bit harder when I want to slow down fast. I adjust them when needed. That about all the thought I put into the brakes. I figure they get clean enough when I clean the bike.
Old 05-03-22, 10:28 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I can't recall ever having cleaned brake pads on any vehicle I've ever owned
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 05-03-22, 12:41 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I did actually just sand, torch, and clean the pads on the front of my mtb today. They somehow got contaminated. We’ll see if it helps.
Old 06-16-22, 05:35 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I did actually just sand, torch, and clean the pads on the front of my mtb today. They somehow got contaminated. We’ll see if it helps.
Hey cabbage man, any updates?
Old 06-16-22, 05:37 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

The mechanical disc brakes on my Opus now have pretty sufficient stopping power after taking the pads out to sand them down twice. I also swapped the pads front to rear on the second go to help distribute things out a little. The pads seem to get contaminated easily which doesn't help when most of the use these brakes see is hard used, short distance speed scrubbing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.