Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anything particularly unsafe about flat bars???

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anything particularly unsafe about flat bars???

Old 11-06-21, 05:46 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Feel free to correct me and let me know which part of my post is incorrect.

A scintillating experiment from GCN. TL;DW: drop bars substantially faster, flat bars more maneuverable.

Old 11-06-21, 06:11 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,713 Times in 2,911 Posts
The aero differences between the two are very small, and become even smaller if those flat bars are narrower and have bar ends.
Maybe, but that's not what you actually said earlier. As a reminder:-

The thing is that drop bars are not any faster than flat bars. Majority of people who use drop bars have their hands on the hoods which is very similar to having your hands on the flat bars. There is no aero differences between the two. You only gain some aero advantage when riding in the drops, and that is very rare because majority of these " fake pros " don't even have enough mobility to ride in the drops.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-06-21, 06:17 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Yeah?
While on a wine tour, a non-athletic looking 60 year old woman made a disparaging remark about flat bars and you felt the need to then consult with strangers online to confirm or deny the validity of her comments?
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 11-06-21, 07:18 PM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Yeah?
While on a wine tour, a non-athletic looking 60 year old woman made a disparaging remark about flat bars and you felt the need to then consult with strangers online to confirm or deny the validity of her comments?
What kind of verbal diarrhea is this nonsense? It's difficult to even find the words to respond to this. First, this is a forum, asking questions and sharing knowledge is what we do here. Further, there are a lot of members here making that pool of knowledge deeper. Of course its on-line, these people are scattered around the globe.... are you suggesting I invite then all to my house for a discussion? I mean then they wouldn't be strangers either right? Lastly asking what she could have meant by that is neither looking to confirm or deny what she said, it's asking what she could have meant by that. Wow
Old 11-06-21, 07:57 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Bar fight!!
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 11-06-21, 08:28 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan_M
What kind of verbal diarrhea is this nonsense? It's difficult to even find the words to respond to this. First, this is a forum, asking questions and sharing knowledge is what we do here. Further, there are a lot of members here making that pool of knowledge deeper. Of course its on-line, these people are scattered around the globe.... are you suggesting I invite then all to my house for a discussion? I mean then they wouldn't be strangers either right? Lastly asking what she could have meant by that is neither looking to confirm or deny what she said, it's asking what she could have meant by that. Wow
He was trolling you. Don’t feed him.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 11-06-21, 08:48 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
Yeah?
Obviously he felt the need. What's the big deal?
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 11-06-21, 10:51 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Drop bar road bikes are safer in a group of road bikes closely following each other. The drop bar isn't going to snag anyone passing closely, nor impale anyone in a crash, and the braking characteristics of a MTB with MTB tires versus a road bike are... um, different enough that it's a problem in a closely following group.

As for slowing the group down or not having skills for​​​​​​ a group ride, it's a reasonable heuristic. Making judgements based on probability is... well, actually, the basic method of most everything which isn't physics. Of course, you might be the exception but their group ride is, after all, about recreation, sport and relaxation for them, and filtering those who are unlikely to fit with the group makes sense. Especially because your bike handling skills in a group are a potential safety issue for them.
​​​
​​
​​​(By the way, the reason nobody uses drop bars in MTB races is because drop bars are banned by the UCI for ​​​​​MTB races. Preserving the traditional look of the sport. Surprising that people don't know that.)

Last edited by Branko D; 11-08-21 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-07-21, 12:32 AM
downhillmaster

My bad.
Yes, flat bars are unsafe lol.
Drop bars are also unsafe.
Aero bars are unsafe.
Carbon fiber bars are unsafe.
Biker bars are unsafe.
Protein bars are unsafe.

Last edited by downhillmaster; 11-07-21 at 01:26 AM.
Old 11-07-21, 02:45 AM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
I think she might be talking of crash or fall scenario and getting poked by the flatbar.

I've been poked by my own flat bar a few times before when I fell on the bike or the bike fell on me. It's unlikely to stab you, unless you crashed hard but poking can be quite painful, cause internal injuries, and can break bones. It's also likely if I'm riding with a group, my flatbar could poke others too in a group spill.

I've never been poked by a drop bar and I've crashed over them a few times. Dropbars are noted for that feature and for the most risk-averse riders would likely insist on dropbars.
Was reading this thread and smirking to myself thinking about what an utter prig that woman was to you, until I read about getting poked by a flat bar.

The worst accident I ever had was falling and landing on the handlebar.

I'm pretty much all about mountain biking these days and ride mountain bikes with 710-810 mm wide bars. Used road ride a lot back in the day though.

Well, long flat handlebars are now longer than my palm to shoulder. In 2016 I fell and landed on the bike with outstretched arms over the bar and I kid you not, the bar hit my sternum dead center sea straight perpendicular.

Broke my sternum and caused a cardiac arrest!

Grateful to recover from that one.

On that bike I have bar ends. Without those on there, might be dead, because the bar end stopped the bar from deep penetration.

So this is one downside to flat bars.

I still ride with them and it's true they're great for going downhill, and up. True also perhaps, not good for roadie bike clubs I guess.
Old 11-07-21, 09:58 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Pretty much all of it.

Starting with the hoods on a drop bar, they are actually the most aero position if you bend your forearms parallel to the ground. This position is more aero than actually riding in the drops.
Riding more upright on the hoods is still more aero than a flat bar, which will tend to push your elbows further out because of your flat grip.

This video shows the different positions quite well (although it's not very scientific) and a cheat using flat bars to achieve an aero position (at the expense of control and no brakes!)

Incidentally this video also nicely demonstrates how much wider your elbows naturally stick out on a flat bar compared to a drop-bar, but these are quite wide bars. But it's the flat grip that tends to push out your elbows compared to a vertical grip on the hoods. Would it be more dangerous riding side-by-side in a group? Well it would require more road space for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqSbc0qjVZk

Also here are some aero numbers for various positions on a drop-bar.

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/05/real...s-are-fastest/
But how the hell could he pedal in the dreck weather without googles/glasses?? And I did catch his comment about his eyes!
Old 11-07-21, 12:21 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Lots of “compensation” happening in this topic, wow.

Anyway, I doubt they are rubbing elbows in turns. A flat bar in a really aggressive ride could hook a drop bar. But in this instance probably irrelevant.

It isn’t just a “roadie” thing. Flaking people off from showing up is old as time for any groups. Could be a golf threesome shedding the fourth. Could be a card playing group. Could be runners “oh, we only run on the track”.

In golf we would fake a higher bet or move the teebox back from men’s to champs tees.

No difference.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 11-07-21, 02:02 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
My riser swept comfort bars have been between 48 and 53 CM c-c, 70 to 80d angle. My first tour it was 49.5 cm, which was perfect for me. It broke, so I had to decide wider or narrower. I took the 48 so it's easier in traffic and in motel rooms, etc. It definitly feels cramped. So it's just 3 cm wider than an average drop bar on a tour bike. My bar turned upside down is really no different. Being comfortable trumps aero on a 80 mile ride. Plus my mirror sticks out 6".
My new Simcoe bike bar came at 54 cm wide and lesser 40d bend. They were OK for a while, but I figured out my hands/ wrists didn't like the position. So it's retired to my closet, with the stem, seat post, levers, cables, rear fender and front wheel. LOL.

I see very few if any not with drops on race bike group rides. Actually, I seldom see any of those guys, because I mostly ride on cat 1 and 2 highways. And never in early mornings either.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 11-07-21 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-07-21, 03:48 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
The lady is in her 60's for crying out loud! She likes her elitist little roadie clique that probably gets together one night a week and crochet's while sipping tea and chatting about all the mongrels with flat bars trying to infiltrate their secret club.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 11-07-21, 04:20 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
The lady is in her 60's for crying out loud! She likes her elitist little roadie clique that probably gets together one night a week and crochet's while sipping tea and chatting about all the mongrels with flat bars trying to infiltrate their secret club.
the nerve 🥸!
Old 11-07-21, 05:49 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
You will soon come to learn the pitfalls of posting on BF .... there will be people who make inane comments, aggressively obnoxious comments, contentious comments, straight up negative baseless and confusing comments .... People whose unmet inner needs (or howling inner demons) reach out through their keyboards to whiz in all your Corn Flakes, Your Wheaties, your Cheerios, your other cereals, and maybe your other breakfast foods as well.

The same people might be decent in a different thread ....

Just take everything as a joke, and assume that if a person is being Superdonkey, that they think they are being super funny ..... sure, maybe they are trying to be mean and hurtful, but if you reject that from the outset, then they can seem funny .... or pathetic .... and you get a chuckle either way.

Most important .... ignore Everything I say.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-07-21, 06:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
He was trolling you. Don’t feed him.
Originally Posted by SpedFast
Obviously he felt the need. What's the big deal?

​​​​​​Put the downhill troll on ignore. Trust me, you won't miss him. He absolutely never says anything worth reading.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-07-21, 08:32 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 335 Posts
There is one thing about flat bars that can be dangerous.
They can hold accessories. That alone isn't safe but, if left un checked, a simple light installation can lead to cell phone mounts, extension, bar ends hand stations and suddenly, you have bicycle antlers.
Old 11-08-21, 05:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
There is one thing about flat bars that can be dangerous.
They can hold accessories. That alone isn't safe but, if left un checked, a simple light installation can lead to cell phone mounts, extension, bar ends hand stations and suddenly, you have bicycle antlers.

Any evidence any of that's dangerous? Also, people mount plenty of stuff on drop bars. Everything you listed except the bar ends/hand stations, extensions.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-08-21, 06:56 AM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by Maelochs
You will soon come to learn the pitfalls of posting on BF .... there will be people who make inane comments, aggressively obnoxious comments, contentious comments, straight up negative baseless and confusing comments .... People whose unmet inner needs (or howling inner demons) reach out through their keyboards to whiz in all your Corn Flakes, Your Wheaties, your Cheerios, your other cereals, and maybe your other breakfast foods as well.

The same people might be decent in a different thread ....

Just take everything as a joke, and assume that if a person is being Superdonkey, that they think they are being super funny ..... sure, maybe they are trying to be mean and hurtful, but if you reject that from the outset, then they can seem funny .... or pathetic .... and you get a chuckle either way.

Most important .... ignore Everything I say.
Maelochs, as usual I find your posts somewhat amusing and even on occasion, fairly clever.
Even when referring to me in a negative manner
That being said, I am a bit curious why you would have weighed in on this thread.
OP asked a simple question in his subject line.
Is there anything particularly unsafe about flat bars? That’s the topic he started and that’s the question he asked.
He then goes on to explain that he is asking this because someone made an offhand remark to him while on a ride. Good stuff.
Why though do you think he felt the need to reference that the person who made the remark was a woman, in her 60’s, who appeared to be non-athletic, around 5’ 3”, and that not only did she ride in level 4 rides, but that they are the slowest rides.
Was any of that pertinent information if all he wanted to do was ask if flat bars are dangerous? As indicated by his subject line.
Old 11-08-21, 07:01 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
...Biker bars are unsafe...
To escape, you might have to pull out your best moves.

Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 11-08-21, 07:53 AM
Kat12

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I feel like this should be prominently posted at the top of most forums on the internet...
Likes For Kat12:
Old 11-08-21, 11:32 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,713 Times in 2,911 Posts
BF is definitely one of the more aggressive forums full of complete idiots and trolls. But...... that's part of the attraction. Forums where everyone makes sensible, intelligent comments are nowhere near as entertaining.
Old 11-08-21, 12:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by PeteHski
BF is definitely one of the more aggressive forums full of complete idiots and trolls. But...... that's part of the attraction. Forums where everyone makes sensible, intelligent comments are nowhere near as entertaining.

I think the troll whose appearance started this side-discussion is a) not in the least interesting and b) the subject of a lot of people wondering why he hasn't been permanently banned already. People have actually left the Forum over what this guy gets away with, one of whom was a really good poster.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-08-21, 12:33 PM
afm199

Bikes: Trek Madone, 2012, Trek Kronos CX Ultimate, 2012

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
I was on a wine tour last night and got talking to another older couple that lives in the area and are into cycling. She rides in a local club and was telling me about it, there's 4 levels and she rides with level 4 (the slowest). I know you can't really tell someones ability looking at them but she's early 60's, 5'3" or so, and didn't appear to be particularly athletic, where I'm 46, 6'0", and though not the strongest rider not in bad shape either. I was thinking if I rode in her group with the level 4's that it sounded great to get out for a not too intense social ride with a group, so I said I'd look into it.

I built my bike myself to best fit the type of riding I do, it probably falls in the hybrid category, maybe flat bar gravel bike(ish). It's still a decent bike though. When it came up that I rode a flat bar her response was "Oh, we ride road bikes. You wouldn't be able to keep up. Besides they wouldn't let you ride anyway, flat bars are too unsafe, you need to have drop bars". I never got a chance to ask her what that meant before the tour was over.

Now I'm fairly confident that if she can keep up with the group then I'd be able to too, road bike or not. However, what could she possibly mean that flat bars are too unsafe?
It would mean that idiocy loves company.
Likes For afm199:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.