Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

After Rehab: Aged and Ready to Go Full Suspension - Any Suggestions?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 02-09-23, 12:12 AM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts

I quit MTBing after being injured in a terrible car crash in 2017. Experienced with hard-tails. I'm out of rehab and I'm contemplating getting back in the MTB saddle for training rides.

I'm a lifelong tennis player (since 1969) and coach who is making a comeback in 2023, even though I've attempted to do this unsuccessfully since 2020 :-(
I'm nearing 60 y/o, but I still have my skills and my wit about me. I've never ridden a (non motorized) full suspension bike, but have plenty of experience with motorized ones.

Can anyone guide me in this endeavor? I don't want to spend too much money (but may be swayed) on this (less than 1000) because I'm looking to get a good pedal assist road bike soon.
Thanks very much in advance! Just as a reference this is what I MTB'd on back in the 80s. I still have it, sans the original flat bars:

1988 Mongoose IBOC Pro (riser stem & bars added 2020)

Last edited by michaelm101; 02-10-23 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-09-23, 10:04 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelm101
I don't want to spend too much money on this (less than 1000)...
You aren't going to find a good quality full suspension bike (used or new) with this budget.
Old 02-09-23, 10:06 AM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 49 Posts
I don't want to spend too much money on this (less than 1000) because I'm looking to get a good pedal assist road bike soon...
Used is your only option for that price point.

EDIT: Though Bikes Online has one on sale for under $1000. I know nothing about full-suspension bikes, so I have no idea if it's any good...
https://www.bikesonline.com/2023-pol...-mountain-bike
Likes For Miradaman:
Old 02-09-23, 10:30 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
You picked an excellent time for shopping with a (reported) glut of bikes on the market. The bike above or a Bikes Direct model in the same price range should be serviceable, but offer basically no warranty from my friend's experience. Used is a great way to save, but bring a knowledgeable friend since you've been out of the game for awhile.
Likes For 2old:
Old 02-09-23, 10:37 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
If you want to go new, get prepared to drop $4K+ to get anything that will do more good than harm.

If you want pedal assist, maybe combine and get an e-mountain bike? That will make the above seem thrifty.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-09-23, 10:47 AM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
If you want to go new, get prepared to drop $4K+ to get anything that will do more good than harm.

If you want pedal assist, maybe combine and get an e-mountain bike? That will make the above seem thrifty.
Thx. I was thinking about this. However, my plan was to use the assist on the roadie only during climbing-- while using standard operating procedure all other times. The E-MTB, unfortunately would be too much extra cargo in this scenario.
Likes For michaelm101:
Old 02-10-23, 09:30 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 744 Posts
Thx. I was thinking about this. However, my plan was to use the assist on the roadie only during climbing-- while using standard operating procedure all other times. The E-MTB, unfortunately would be too much extra cargo in this scenario.
im with ya on this. My LEVO feels like pedaling a cinderblock on the road. Still a fast cinderblock, but it’s clear that it’s out of its element

Although you could probably say the same thing for a lot of these new school rigs with big 2.5 and 2.6 tires
Old 02-10-23, 11:07 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
For $1K, you are looking at used.

No new FS in that price point is worth it, IMO.
Likes For Kapusta: