Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

27.5 vs 29

Old 01-02-23, 02:18 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
People rise to the defense of 26 as though it was correct while it was really an accident of history. When MTB's launched there had been an immediate prior fad of 26" BMX cruisers that used the beach cruiser tire size, so that was the only near adult size balloon knobby. Getting tires made was really the limiting factor. All the other fabrication stuff is just bending and mitering. The wheel machine can bend the rim extrusion to whatever size. But a tire mold is a big expensive tool requiring big corporate support to make and use in a big factory

27.5 got a reprieve this year thanks to some major companies making "mullet" bikes. But this time more than ever it seems like churn for churn's sake, especially since this time it's back to a pre-existing tire design. They did not come up with new width, tread, carcass, etc. It will be tough to see how this succeeds in the market since the whole market is in a nose dive right now
Agreed. As a guy who rides and loves his 26" mountain bike, there is nothing, and I mean nothing, that it does better than a modern 29er. There is ZERO reason why a person without special needs, should buy a new 26" bike. Today or tomorrow.

29er are now dialed, and with the modern geometry and design, are phenomenal.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 02-03-23, 02:29 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
The best hardtail bike and best full suspension bike for my cross-country riding needs, and in my price range and available to buy at local shops, came with 29" wheels and tires. I could have gone with a different bike company or paid to have new 27.5 wheels and tires but chose to stay with the 29" wheels. If I was a downhill racer it would have been a different matter.

It is a different selection pool for 27.5 versus 29 inch wheels. There are also more tire options at this point in time with 29 inch wheels.
Old 02-12-23, 06:53 AM
looseasnoodles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes a 29” wheel will roll easier over obstacles etc but a 27.5 will accelerate easier up hill for sure.
Old 02-12-23, 10:25 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I agree but we can't change the direction that the bike industry is going. It's just like 135mm rear spacing and quick release or solid nutted axles which work perfectly fine...but bike industry just had to change it to 142mm and then to 148mm boost thru axles.
And those were all good changes.
Old 02-12-23, 10:29 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by looseasnoodles
Yes a 29” wheel will roll easier over obstacles etc but a 27.5 will accelerate easier up hill for sure.
Which is why all the XC racers are using 27.5…. Whoops, never mind.
Old 02-12-23, 06:54 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by looseasnoodles
A 27.5 can also turn tighter on narrow trails.