Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How worried should I be about these rusty chain stays failing on this old Trek?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-22, 10:41 AM
drewfio

Bikes: Mostly 80's Japanese built road and touring bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 26 Posts

So I’ve been fixing up a 1984 Trek 500. I noticed paint scrapes with rust forming on both of the chain stays. Looking at it again it seems worse than I initially assessed. One spot behind the chainrings, and one on the inside of the left chain stay. If it is primarily cosmetic my plan was to remove the rust and touch the paint up.

But I’m wondering if this rust/damage is at risk for the chain stays failing/breaking, and if so, a safety concern. If it matters, from the old catalogs I gather the chain stays are Tange 2001 Mangaloy (I presume not butted). Pics attached.

Gouges and rust on chain stays.

Top view of chainstay, with what looks like a ding or dent. Problem?

Last edited by drewfio; 08-25-22 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 08-25-22, 10:58 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
I am no metalurgist, not did I stay at a Holiday Inn express last night. But to my eye, the rust plus the disfigurements are definite cause for concern. Especially the trough worn on the inside of the left chain stay.

it looks to me like that bike saw (1) a lot of tire rub on the left chain stay - and I mean a lot - to get that level of deformity, and (2) a lot of chainring grinding on the right chain stay. All told, that looks like more than just surface rust to me.
Old 08-25-22, 11:02 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Your second pic makes me a little concerned, and makes me think you should at minimum remove the paint to assess the steel underneath. Starting at the dark spot, it looks like the sparkles in the paint gather in a straight line directly horizontally across the width of the chainstay, and it makes me want to see what's underneath. Maybe it's the angle or lighting, but I would be concerned about that.
Old 08-25-22, 11:41 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
At some point it will fail.
will not put you to the ground but could ruin your day.
when?
no idea, don't invest in paint other than to prevent future rust,
Likes For repechage:
Old 08-25-22, 12:26 PM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
To me, the rust doesn't look too bad, but that tire rub spot on the left chainstay is a bit concerning. I'd clean up the rust and touch it up to prevent further deteriation, and keep a clost eye on that left chainstay watching for any sign of a crack developing around that thin spot.
Likes For Hobbiano:
Old 08-25-22, 12:31 PM
drewfio

Originally Posted by repechage
At some point it will fail.
will not put you to the ground but could ruin your day.
when?
no idea, don't invest in paint other than to prevent future rust,
My plan was just nail polish. Someone else on here identified a shade that matches in the ballpark of that pewter gray:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-manicure.html

I'll start with that spot, and sand to assess the damage.
Old 08-25-22, 03:24 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Curious: how does a thin rubber tire possibly generate enough friction to wear through steel? Not saying it isn’t possible but sounds wild to me.

Having said that checking out that left chainstay makes sense first. The chips on the drive side stay look ugly but not that concerning from my perspective.
Likes For markk900:
Old 08-25-22, 06:38 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by markk900
Curious: how does a thin rubber tire possibly generate enough friction to wear through steel? Not saying it isn’t possible but sounds wild to me.
Not friction, abrasion. Get some grit stuck to the tyre and it'll grind through the steel pretty quickly if you let it.
Old 08-26-22, 05:35 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
I'm not a frame builder, but I may or not have spent the night behind a dumpster in Tacoma in the '90's.... But I have wondered if there is any structural advantage to filling diggers like that with bronze?
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 08-26-22, 04:00 PM
drewfio

Okay, sanded away some paint and here is what I found. definitely gouged and some material worn. There is a tiny dark groove/line that does not extend past the gouge, so I (would like to) think it is not cracked. My hope is it is simply a deep scratch mark. I can barely see it with my naked eye, but the closeup camera shot shows more detail than my eyes, ha. Thoughts?

Top view:

Bottom view:

Old 08-26-22, 06:05 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
I think the thick paint is making this seem worse than it is. Paint it and ride it is my opinion.

It was good that you sanded it. You have a far better look at the actual depth of the grooves and the process of sanding it as cleanly as you did removed the rust and will provide a good base to apply a primer and then paint.

Trek had nice paint. It looked like Imron to me, but I don't know if it actually was since Imron was expensive. Their paint was thicker, more durable and better looking than most of their competitors in my opinion.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 08-27-22, 08:42 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Pretty sure they did use Imron BITD.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 08-27-22, 11:18 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
I would keep an eye on it and ride cautiously. A frame guy could probably build that area up a bit but I’m not sure that would make it stronger.
Old 08-28-22, 07:58 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Post your photos in the Framebuilders forum and get some professional opinions. It's a nice bike, and worth saving if you can. Good luck.

PS Top view photo doesn't show for me.
Old 08-28-22, 08:53 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Definitely Imron.
Old 08-28-22, 09:38 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Paint the bare spots, maybe with clear nail polish so you can watch for cracks. Ride it. Occasionally look cracks. My money's on the bike dying first of other causes. (Pre '85 or so, the seatstay cap cracking through the too deep "TREK" lettering - though that's easy for a framebuilder to repair.)

Treks are well made (except that cap on earlier ones). When I say something else will be the cause of your bike's death, I am not saying that's coming soon. Might be a crash, a theft or under the next owner or the one after. And if it does fail on you, it is unlikely to be an issue bigger than a ride shortener. My failure happened while riding. Felt odd so I looked down. Broke right behind the bridge. Chainstay was waving around. Rode the 2 miles home on it, then back to work on it a few days later to have the welder do a repair. I shortened the bike substantially a couple of years later in a hard crash and retired it.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-30-22, 12:07 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
My guess -

That's damage from the rim rubbing against the inner surface of the chain stay. That they no longer line up means the wheel was farther forward in the drop out when this happened. It could also have had a different wheel size when it happened (27" vs 700 C).

It can also be intermittent abrasion, not necessarily continuous, permanent rubbing.

Another guess -

That stay looks to have been penetrated by the abrasion and subsequent corrosion. If you tap it does it "ting" or "tang"? :-)
Old 08-30-22, 02:21 PM
Darkwater

Bikes: 1950s Hercules Ladies 3-speed | 1975 Raleigh DL-1 | 1977 Trek 201 | 1982 Trek 613 | 1983 Trek 520 | 1987 Cannondale tandem, 23"/19" | 1991 Trek MultiTrack 750 | 1993 Burley Duet tandem, 24"/21" | 1994 Trek 930 SingleTrack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd touch it up and enjoy a sweet bike, though I'd add another "C" to the ABC safety check. "Air, brakes, chain ... how are you doing, chainstays?" I've always heard that steel will warn you before it fails.
​​​​
Likes For Darkwater:
Old 08-31-22, 09:20 PM
drewfio

Originally Posted by Bad Lag
My guess -

That's damage from the rim rubbing against the inner surface of the chain stay. That they no longer line up means the wheel was farther forward in the drop out when this happened. It could also have had a different wheel size when it happened (27" vs 700 C).
I'm not sure when the abrasion happened. My bet is the last owner. He seems to have just ridden it hard and gave it little care, until it would no longer run. The derailleur hanger was too bent to ride (I've since realigned), so I'm guessing that's what put it out of service. It came to me with mismatched 700c wheels (hard anodized, with quite awful wear patterns), but according to the old catalog, it originally came with 27" wheels with Helicomatic hubs.
Old 08-31-22, 09:31 PM
drewfio

Update: I removed the rust from both spots, and made an attempt at a paint touch up with the nail polish others here recommended. Not a perfect match, and my touch up skills leave a lot to be desired, but both of these spot are fairly invisible once chainrings and tires are blocking their view.

Eager to ride, I've also started to hang some parts on it. Nothing was bought for this specific build so far (besides nail polish ), just pieced together from what I have. So we'll see how it goes, and the parts can go back in my closet if the frame gives up.

Likes For drewfio:
Old 08-31-22, 09:59 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
It's a nice looking bike, make no mistake about that.

The outside of the drive side chain stay has been almost worn thru by a misadjusted pair of chainwheels.
Old 08-31-22, 10:06 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Good job... But are you still wondering?

My plan would have been to closely inspect the inside of the chain stay via the bottom bracket. If no rust on the inside I then would have aggressively checked the out side. Do note that I think nothing of preserving original paint jobs when it comes to checking the integrity of steel. Rust is a very real BUGGER! Of course you now this. I would have chemically stripped both chain stays then done another inspection after sanding the hell out of um. Then it would have been rattle can primer and paint to finish. Most likely in Black Enamel.

I have successfully filled holes with Tig welding and Copper brazing on Rynolds 501 steel.

As to the injuries that precipitated this damage? I saw very similar almost exactly the same damage on a guy limping his mountain bike home from a ride. His chain ring was broken with its arm bent. The wheel was tacoed just enough to scrape the left chain stay at each revolution. Of course he did not have any rust... Yet...
Old 08-31-22, 10:36 PM
drewfio

Originally Posted by zandoval
Good job... But are you still wondering?

My plan would have been to closely inspect the inside of the chain stay via the bottom bracket.
You are very thorough. What if you found some rust inside the chain stay?
Old 09-01-22, 10:16 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by drewfio
What if you found some rust inside the chain stay?
Now that's a real bugger! My only experience with that type of rust was in Galveston Texas. I was going to UTMB and several students from out of state brought thier bikes over and stored them on back porches and balconies. Galveston salt water took its toll in just a few months. The finish on the outside of the bikes looked normal with just the expected rust on a few components, however, one bike I saw split at the top of the seat post and another the joint at the top of the forks during ridding. I had never seen rust like that. It was like a cancer spreading throughout the frame internally. After talking to some locals who ran a bike rental shop on the seawall they advised a simple fix for any newly arrived bike in Galveston. It was to take a 50:50 mix of Linseed oil and Denatured Alcohol and flush the bike's frame internally. They said they were able to get at least five years of sea side tourist use out of thier steel rental bikes and considered that good. I have a 70s UO-8 I found over there. The frame had been treated as described. Externally its steel is pitted and some of the braze-ons are gone. But internally the frame is solid. I was very surprised as the bike had been stored out side under a porch just five blocks from the waves. It is still going strong here in Central Texas.

As to the OP: If I found more than surface rust inside the chain stays I would take the frame to a Frame Maker for further evaluation.

Further Note: I don't think I have ever seen a sudden catastrophic failure of a chain stay except for maybe mountain bikers doing things they probably shouldn't. I am certain that if your chain stay starts to fail you will get a fair warning before hand. Bike looks great! Ride on stud...

Last edited by zandoval; 09-01-22 at 10:23 AM.
Likes For zandoval:
Old 10-10-22, 08:11 AM
drewfio

Just following up here. I finished building it up, and I’ve put a few hundred miles on it so far. So far, no issues detected, even riding some pretty rough unpaved roads. I’ll report back in a thousand miles or two if it’s still going.

Likes For drewfio:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.