Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

finding where the noise comes from

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-15, 04:04 PM
johzio

Bikes: Gt force 1999

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Ok straight to the problem, i suspect that a clicking-creacking noise comes from the chain at the chainrings, is that possible? it is not strong but i hear it on every pedal stroke except when i climb hills under heavy load it seems to not make noise. i think its not my bottom bracket as it has not play at all and cups seem tight, front derailleur is not rubbing on chain, i almost thought there was the spokes of my back wheel and i tighten them.
my bb is hollowtech 2 ultegra 6600, the chain seems moderate or more wear so i will change it very soon, the chai rings show little wear but lots of life left (didnt even started to show any shark fin) and they are completely straight.

only other clue is that the frame is steel( not any damage anywhere) but may it be flexing so much? only pedals left to check but they seem ok, any suggestions? Is it the chain you think?
sorry for my bad english
Old 04-23-15, 05:48 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by johzio
only pedals left to check but they seem ok, any suggestions?
Check the pedals. It is simple to swap in another pair, preferably platform type to eliminate shoe/cleat noise. Thoroughly clean and grease the pedal/crank interface and torque them correctly (this in itself may fix the problem, dirt at the interface can cause clicking and the like). Do the easy/free things first.

Check your chain ring bolts/nuts, too. Do you ever lube your chain? Consider changing your "moderately or more" worn chain.

I am often surprised when troubleshooting that some dumb, simple thing I think it cannot possibly be, is actually the problem.
Old 05-05-15, 02:33 PM
johzio

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
ok i changed the chain cleaned the crankset and i noticed very little play in bb, the cups are really tight fitted so i tightened the preload bolt till the play is gone but it still make the same creaking noise but a bit less, i tightened more but nothing, the crankset moves fine without play.
Is there any problem with the bb?
Old 05-05-15, 04:16 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Check the pedals. It is simple to swap in another pair,....
+1, ALWAYS check the pedals first. They're a common cause of this kind of issue, but more importantly are so easy to rule in or out, that you'll feel like an idiot if you chase all over the bike and find this problem last. So call it "feeling dumb" insurance.

BTW- you can check with a spare set of pedals, preferably something simple in case it's a cleat issue. Or you can often solve it by removing the pedals, cleaning the threads and mating faces on both pedals and cranks, then greasing and assembling.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-05-15, 11:38 PM
johzio

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hmm since the first reply on this post , i changed the pedals to new one and i forgot to mention it. The noise come clearly from the bb as tightening the arm a little reduces the creaking but tightening it more akes no difference.
So im asking if the bb will need replacemwnt soon.