Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

New bike, foot pain, flat pedals

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-21, 07:08 AM
yazzmatazz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello all,

I recently put together a new bike and have started experiencing foot pain. It feels kind of like a pain or cramp in the arches of both my feet, emanating from the point where the balls of my feet contact the pedal (using flat pedals). I put this bike together recently from a used frame I bought online and parts salvaged from my previous (now broken) bike. I've tried adjusting all aspects of the saddle over and over again (height, fore/aft, angle) but can't find a position that is comfortable for my foot. I'm not sure what could be the problem or what I could try next to address the issue. I would take this issue to a professional bike fitter but bike shops are not doing that in my area thanks to covid. This is my only bike and I use it for everything (which includes my daily commute, some light trail riding, and occasional exercise runs).

Details on me and the bike:
  • Just around 5 ft 9 in (175 cm)
  • 82.7 cm inseam (measured using a hardcover book shoved up my inseam and against a wall)
  • 56 cm surly cross check (I know this is a bit on the large size, but there's just no supply of frames around me)
  • Im using an adjustable stem but it is around 70 mm out from the steerer tube
  • I usually ride with a slight drop between the seat and handlebar, but sometimes I'll move the bars up to make it more level
  • 700c wheels with tires that are around 37 mm wide
  • flat bar with bar ends (ergon GP5 grips)
  • 170 mm cranks
  • 122.5 mm bottom bracket spindle (not sure if this even matters)
Except for the foot pain, I'm fairly comfortable with my setup and am generally in an upright/slight angled position when using the grips. I use the bar ends when I ant to tuck in. I think the reach is fine as I can keep my shoulders relaxed with a slight bend at the elbows. I feel the pain in my foot when I am in an upright position on the grips, but when I tuck in to do some faster riding I don't feel this issue as much. I suppose when I am riding more aggressively the contact point between my foot and pedal is lighter and I'm using the rest of my leg muscles more.

Could pedals be an issue? I am using the same (crappy) flat pedals that I had on my previous bike. I think they are on the small side, and don't have any pins for grip (cant post any pictures). I've used bikes that are too big for me or too small for me in the past and never experienced this issue before.

Thanks for any advice!

Edit: I didn't start experiencing this issue until about 2-3 days into riding this bike. I don't have specific cycling shoes but have experienced the pain wearing several of my shoes/boots
Old 03-21-21, 07:13 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Both Feet?

Ask a Bike Mechanic or a Foot Doctor.

Old 03-21-21, 10:33 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6187 Post(s)
Liked 4,804 Times in 3,314 Posts
Wear shoes with stiffer soles. Flip flops are a no-no.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-23-21, 10:21 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
The first thing I'd try would be clipless pedals and stiff cycling shoes, don't have to be expensive. Clipless allows you to put force on the pedals almost all the way around the circle: push forward at the top, just a little pressure on the way down, pull back at the bottom and about 20° up the backstroke. That vastly reduces the pressure on the pedals, in fact it's entirely possible to pedal just using the shoe uppers (with a lot of practice).
Old 03-24-21, 11:07 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
OTOH, I got hot spots with SPD pedals. Five Ten used to make shoes which could be used as stiff-ish flat shoes or as SPD shoes, but I just checked and they just list flat shoes, perhaps the Pearl Izumi X-Alp Launch SPD.
Old 03-25-21, 09:26 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6187 Post(s)
Liked 4,804 Times in 3,314 Posts
I guess a question you might clear up. After what time or distance on the bike does your foot or feet bother you?

My feet swell a very little bit after 35 - 45 miles. Mostly I feel it in the ball of my foot. I used to think hydration was the key, but maybe only a part. What seems to help the most though is wearing socks that give my feet a little bit of compression. Also thin enough to leave room in the toe box of the shoe and not compete with the cushioning built into the shoe.
Old 03-25-21, 08:41 PM
jma1st3r
Scrubby duff

Bikes: Kona JTS, Norco Sasquatch 07(had), Giant Fastroad SLR 17(had)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
OTOH, I got hot spots with SPD pedals. Five Ten used to make shoes which could be used as stiff-ish flat shoes or as SPD shoes, but I just checked and they just list flat shoes, perhaps the Pearl Izumi X-Alp Launch SPD.
I have x-alp. very good shoes. check your fit first. they accommodate wide feet too(a tad)