Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Knee discomfort?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Knee discomfort?

Old 04-01-21, 11:13 AM
jma1st3r
Scrubby duff

Bikes: Kona JTS, Norco Sasquatch 07(had), Giant Fastroad SLR 17(had)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Knee discomfort?

I sorta got my riding position dialed in, can do some hard efforts, keep up with Diesel on zwift, and did a ramp test in the last few days...

But...my old jumper's knee is back? It kinda just crept back...no pain yet, and not swollen, but i can feel they are there...

What did I do wrong? Or overdo? *i am noticing the Vastus
Medialis is used more...

Its all indoor at the moment...

Last edited by jma1st3r; 04-01-21 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-01-21, 12:13 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,253 Times in 724 Posts
I vote for overdoing it. Have you been riding a lot lately, or have you not ridden a while, then suddenly went out and rode as you described?
Likes For phughes:
Old 04-01-21, 01:20 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Overdoing it. Pushing too high a gear for your age. Saddle height. Too much indoor riding. Get some real world experience.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-01-21, 02:30 PM
jma1st3r
Scrubby duff

Originally Posted by Iride01
Overdoing it. Pushing too high a gear for your age. Saddle height. Too much indoor riding. Get some real world experience.
Aww nuts....i really like indoor spinning...
Old 04-01-21, 04:23 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by jma1st3r
Aww nuts....i really like indoor spinning...
I just have no reference for fit on the trainer indoors. What little I do, I don't do like I would on the bike in the great outdoors. Usually indoors I'm sitting up without hands on the bars for 45 min to an hour and pedal about 80 rpm at a low resistance. I have no interest at doing anything more.

So when several ask about fit, and I miss the part about them being on a trainer or forget that later, then it bothers me because I don't know if bike fit outdoors really is the same as bike fit indoors.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-01-21, 04:40 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I found the having the correct saddle height is beneficial. I have been getting fitter, and riding longer distances, which has resulted in my knees getting a little sore after several long rides. I raised the saddle slightly, which resulted in an improvement in my knees.

I saw somewhere on the internet that your leg should be straight when your heel is on the pedal, and the pedal is at the bottom. Then you ride with your foot further back on the pedal. I set up my bike for to be most comfortable, and it just happened to turn out the same as this.
Old 04-01-21, 05:13 PM
jma1st3r
Scrubby duff

Originally Posted by Iride01
I just have no reference for fit on the trainer indoors. What little I do, I don't do like I would on the bike in the great outdoors. Usually indoors I'm sitting up without hands on the bars for 45 min to an hour and pedal about 80 rpm at a low resistance. I have no interest at doing anything more.

So when several ask about fit, and I miss the part about them being on a trainer or forget that later, then it bothers me because I don't know if bike fit outdoors really is the same as bike fit indoors.
Its within 1cm front axle vs back. Ballpark level. Looking for a book thats just right to shim the front .

Originally Posted by alo
I found the having the correct saddle height is beneficial. I have been getting fitter, and riding longer distances, which has resulted in my knees getting a little sore after several long rides. I raised the saddle slightly, which resulted in an improvement in my knees.

I saw somewhere on the internet that your leg should be straight when your heel is on the pedal, and the pedal is at the bottom. Then you ride with your foot further back on the pedal. I set up my bike for to be most comfortable, and it just happened to turn out the same as this.
Thx. I do watch the saddle height. Its 5-10mm taller than 109% method. (79 inseam). I am curious tho of the alignment as my flat pedal stance was quite wide

*and i have been trying m520 since late Feb

​​​​​**20mm pedal extender came in, i will see how that goes.

Last edited by jma1st3r; 04-06-21 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-01-21, 11:24 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
If it gets too bad, it might be best to rest until it improves.

Also look at diet, and keep your body as healthy as possible.
Likes For alo:
Old 04-03-21, 11:33 PM
orange leader
B-b-b-b-b-b-bicicle Rider

Bikes: 1997, stumpjumper S-works hardtail, Medici, Giant Perigee(track dropouts and fixed gear), Columbia twosome, schwinn twinn, '67 raleigh 5 speed internal hub, Old triumph 3 speed, old BSA 3-speed, schwinn Racer 2spd kickback, Broken raysport criteriu

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
also consider crank arm length. I feel this is measurement is overlooked as so many bikes are stocked with a single crank arm length for most if not all the frame sizes, based more on activity than bike size.
IMO too long for your inseam is worse that too short. Too short just loses power. too long can over bend (hyperflex?) your knee at the top of the stroke while also needing to twist your hips to reach the bottom, or maybe just one or the other.
if your knees hurt going up stairs two at a time.....get shorter cranks.
Likes For orange leader:
Old 04-03-21, 11:54 PM
jma1st3r
Scrubby duff

Originally Posted by orange leader
also consider crank arm length. I feel this is measurement is overlooked as so many bikes are stocked with a single crank arm length for most if not all the frame sizes, based more on activity than bike size.
IMO too long for your inseam is worse that too short. Too short just loses power. too long can over bend (hyperflex?) your knee at the top of the stroke while also needing to twist your hips to reach the bottom, or maybe just one or the other.
if your knees hurt going up stairs two at a time.....get shorter cranks.
​​​​

I did, to make it short, over exertion is the cause. Got excited because i have lost weight, and over did it...

**also my diet could improve some, seems i am lurking around inflammatory food...

Ex gamer, overdoing is the tendency lol.... Oh boy, six to eight weeks minimum to heal...

Its Osgood Schlatter syndrome...

Last edited by jma1st3r; 04-04-21 at 02:13 AM.
Old 04-04-21, 07:58 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Nothing wrong with indoor training

Don't push hard on the cranks and your knee will be fine. No hard bursts of energy.
Old 04-04-21, 01:03 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
I get knee pain sometimes, too. After all the refitting and checking such things, my yoga teacher suggested that insufficient knee support by the surrounding musculature could be part of the problem. The yoga book "Light on Yoga" by B.K.S. Iyengar has a section suggesting therapeutic poses for certain pains and problems. These have the effect of increasing the strength of the muscles around my knee. Look up "utkatasana." If you can look at a copy of "Light on Yoga," those will be the best instructions. For yoga sometimes good instructions are more useful than videos.

Last edited by Road Fan; 04-06-21 at 05:22 PM.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 04-06-21, 10:41 AM
phughes

Thx. I do watch the saddle height. Its 50mm taller than 109% method.
That is almost 2 inches higher than the "magic formula" says. I think for one, your seat is very likely too high. I don't care for the "magic formula" BTW. Take a look at this: https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...ard-can-it-be/

I know I beat this into the ground here, but I constantly see people with issues directly related to seats set too high, and rarely the other way around. There seemed to be a trend in the past few years that resulted in seats set too high, which causes a multitude of problems. When you said, "my old jumper's knee," you didn't say both knees, so I suspect it is only on one side, which can easily be caused by dropping to one side to compensate for a seat height that is too high.
Old 04-06-21, 11:45 AM
jma1st3r
Scrubby duff

Originally Posted by phughes
That is almost 2 inches higher than the "magic formula" says. I think for one, your seat is very likely too high. I don't care for the "magic formula" BTW. Take a look at this: https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...ard-can-it-be/

I know I beat this into the ground here, but I constantly see people with issues directly related to seats set too high, and rarely the other way around. There seemed to be a trend in the past few years that resulted in seats set too high, which causes a multitude of problems. When you said, "my old jumper's knee," you didn't say both knees, so I suspect it is only on one side, which can easily be caused by dropping to one side to compensate for a seat height that is too high.
Saddle height was ball park... I have size 10 duck feet.

And sry, bad grammar on my part... Both knees....
Old 04-06-21, 11:50 AM
phughes

Saddle height was ball park... I have size 10 duck feet.

And sry, bad grammar on my part... Both knees....
Okay, once again, take a look at the link I posted, and still, overuse, and too much too soon. Hope you sort it out. 50 cm over the magic formula is still a lot, and as a result, I am almost positive your seat is too high, based on that alone.
Likes For phughes:
Old 04-06-21, 01:06 PM
jma1st3r
Scrubby duff

Originally Posted by phughes
Okay, once again, take a look at the link I posted, and still, overuse, and too much too soon. Hope you sort it out. 50 cm over the magic formula is still a lot, and as a result, I am almost positive your seat is too high, based on that alone.
My bad again, its not 50mm. Its 5 - 10mm.... My mind must have been drifting...(never got good grades in school days lol)

Ref saddle height is 86cm from spindal, currently at 87.

​​​​​​I am off bike for a little while so... Wont have a chance to do the hill test. But good tip. Thx

** 10mm is definitely a tad high, it aggravate the injury slightly. 5mm doesnt seem to trigger it with low effort.

Last edited by jma1st3r; 04-09-21 at 11:51 AM.
Likes For jma1st3r:
Old 04-15-21, 10:52 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
The exact issue is important. You said "jumper's knee," which involves only the patellar tendon, with pain noticed particularly below the patella. If the pain is not below, but is to the inside or outside of the patella, that's a completely different thing. However it you are indeed experiencing patellar tendinopathy, this is the best article on rehab I've seen:
https://www.strongerbyscience.com/sq...-tendinopathy/
I recommend staying off the bike and just doing these exercises. This is something which has to be rehabbed now.

Pain to either side of the patella is not tendinopathy, bur rather muscular imbalance.
Old 04-15-21, 11:20 PM
jma1st3r
Scrubby duff

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
The exact issue is important. You said "jumper's knee," which involves only the patellar tendon, with pain noticed particularly below the patella. If the pain is not below, but is to the inside or outside of the patella, that's a completely different thing. However it you are indeed experiencing patellar tendinopathy, this is the best article on rehab I've seen:
https://www.strongerbyscience.com/sq...-tendinopathy/
I recommend staying off the bike and just doing these exercises. This is something which has to be rehabbed now.

Pain to either side of the patella is not tendinopathy, bur rather muscular imbalance.
Right at the tibia tuberosity. When its Not so inflammed, i could see height difference lol...

Years ago when I used to be more active with bball, the pain can be felt at the tip at the knee cap along with this. *i never drink enough water.....

Its not as bad as that...and Lol i wouldnt dare, that took a looong time to heal.

Yes off the bike... Really bummed out... Thx for the link

edit: update!!! got all these problem fixed. I have put my trainer on balance pods on each leg(kickr snap), and have 3 layers of your regular exercise mat for the rear. Now I my knees are very very happy.

Last edited by jma1st3r; 05-14-22 at 01:43 AM.