Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Which Cinelli (stem) cap is more desirable?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Which Cinelli (stem) cap is more desirable?

Old 08-16-22, 09:20 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked 1,801 Times in 655 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
The saddle looks like an old Cinelli Unicanitor from the early 1980's - my guess. They are quite comfy and well built and still to be found. With the steel frame, they would fit the Campagnolo Nuovo/Super record seatposts (and other brands too).

The Cinelli VIP Unicanitor saddle, on the other hand, had vertically thicker alloy frame arms shaped a little like a chicken wishbone, and you needed a longer bolt to have the saddle fit a Campagnolo Super Record seatpost. Cinelli supplied this bolt, made of light weight alloy with a socket head, to fit the Campy post. The saddle didn't fit the Nuovo record post as far as I know. I'm not sure about Dura Ace or Superbe Pro?

You have a fantastic Supercorsa frame which featured those three holes in the lugs - wonderful and I'm jealous, haha. Your saddle goes really well with the handlebar grips. Love your bike.
wait, what? I was asking about stem logo choices. Color me confused
Likes For Robvolz:
Old 08-16-22, 09:24 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked 1,801 Times in 655 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Peroni’s bike is pantographed, and already has the flying C cap. We can’t see if the OP’s stem is pantographed.
hi
im the original poster,

I don’t own a Cinelli bike.

i was asking about stem logo choices for my stem on a 73 DeRosa.

somehow my thread got hijacked

here is a pic of my stem
Likes For Robvolz:
Old 08-16-22, 09:32 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
wait, what? I was asking about stem logo choices. Color me confused
Nah, Gary just shifted gears to the saddle, any time you start talking about Cinelli, its going to veer off to any and all things by the time we get rolling and it all runs its course.
Likes For merziac:
Old 08-16-22, 09:41 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

hi
im the original poster,

I don’t own a Cinelli bike.

i was asking about stem logo choices for my stem on a 73 DeRosa.

somehow my thread got hijacked

here is a pic of my stem
Tx

It wasn't a hijack proper, you asked about Cinelli stem and logo. Had you shown us the top of yours to begin with we may have stayed on track as yours has the flyin ef C on the top so flyin ef C emblem is correct for the front but we didn't know that until now so we ran with it as we usually do. This is why we usually always ask for pics so we know what version of whatever we are trying to drill down on.

DD pointed out early on that the emblem should match the marking on the top but we ran rough shod right through that on the way to all things Cinelli town, go figure.

Can we see the rest of the DeRosa now plz?
Old 08-16-22, 10:06 PM
Peroni

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Peroni’s bike is pantographed, and already has the flying C cap. We can’t see if the OP’s stem is pantographed.
I forgot to mention that the crank was said to be hourglass design, I guess because the spider is milled out, DD noticed it back in March. This crank is a picture from a Donna that was on eBay, the crank on my SC appears to be identical, and the chainring also has the same pantograph.
And the alloy toe clips have a small flying C, nothing more other than the stem.
Old 08-16-22, 10:21 PM
Peroni

This is in a 73 DeRosa
The stem on my 78 or 79 SC is similar with the push bolt and wedge clamping the handlebar, I don't know how many variations there were, and I've seen broken parts on eBay.
Old 08-16-22, 10:58 PM
Peroni

The De Rosa contract pantograph is larger and makes contours look different. This Donna was listed as 82, and the stem looks basically the same as mine. Someone will know if there are any meaningful variations, I like this stem about the same as the the alloy headset.
That De Rosa stem is elaborate, and I see a small flying C, so it's pretty likable in any case.

Last edited by Peroni; 08-16-22 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-16-22, 11:16 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by Peroni
The stem on my 78 or 79 SC is similar with the push bolt and wedge clamping the handlebar, I don't know how many variations there were, and I've seen broken parts on eBay.
Yep, these can suck, lots of broken ones and not sure what the process should be on these.

I have a couple of broken ones that came to me that way and have acquired a spare wedge and stem along the way. The one that started it all is a Merckx stem and I may never use it on a rider for this very reason.

I strongly believe that the bolt and back of the wedge should be greased well but no grease can be on the front of the wedge and the bar has to be the exact, correct size for the wedge not to break as well.
Old 08-16-22, 11:58 PM
Peroni

Originally Posted by merziac
Yep, these can suck, lots of broken ones and not sure what the process should be on these.

I have a couple of broken ones that came to me that way and have acquired a spare wedge and stem along the way. The one that started it all is a Merckx stem and I may never use it on a rider for this very reason.

I strongly believe that the bolt and back of the wedge should be greased well but no grease can be on the front of the wedge and the bar has to be the exact, correct size for the wedge not to break as well.
I'm afraid to touch the wedge clamp bolt at all, unless I find the handlebar loose, or something. I'm happy to be getting the Colnago, it will be much more within my abilities to maintain.
Old 08-17-22, 12:26 AM
merziac

Originally Posted by Peroni
I'm afraid to touch the wedge clamp bolt at all, unless I find the handlebar loose, or something. I'm happy to be getting the Colnago, it will be much more within my abilities to maintain.
I get it, when I got the Merckx stem the wedge was cracked already, PO wasn't aware and made it right straight away. Also said he had, had several of them and never had a broken one or problem with them. The wedge is crap metal IMO and I'm not surprised they break, maybe from fatigue, maybe from sticking or overtightening. I took a long hard look at them and the parts and pieces, seems like the wedge can jam up without really clamping the bar so it self destructs as you're forcing the bolt into the wedge without the bar backstopping it. I also think the wedge cracks from the sharpish edges and serrations that might be lessened with some smoothing. If the wedge can clamp down smoothly it may also benefit from carbon paste to help secure the bar with less pressure on the bolt.

What do I know.
Likes For merziac:
Old 08-17-22, 02:43 AM
Peroni

Originally Posted by merziac
I get it, when I got the Merckx stem the wedge was cracked already, PO wasn't aware and made it right straight away. Also said he had, had several of them and never had a broken one or problem with them. The wedge is crap metal IMO and I'm not surprised they break, maybe from fatigue, maybe from sticking or overtightening. I took a long hard look at them and the parts and pieces, seems like the wedge can jam up without really clamping the bar so it self destructs as you're forcing the bolt into the wedge without the bar backstopping it. I also think the wedge cracks from the sharpish edges and serrations that might be lessened with some smoothing. If the wedge can clamp down smoothly it may also benefit from carbon paste to help secure the bar with less pressure on the bolt.

What do I know.
I read all of this pretty closely, and it seems like thorough plan for success with this wedgie stem. I hope the OP reads this if he's not already familiar with it, unless the De Rosa contract is somehow superior or improved. I didn't know of the stem until I saw it after the facts on the SC, a comment in the original thread mentioned it, and saw parts of it on eBay, or without parts.
I would just avoid it now, unless it was unavoidable as it is on the SC.
Old 08-17-22, 08:12 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
Flying "C", all the way, if I can help it! Just looks so much nicer than the spelled out version, which looks so plain and boring for a brand label on a stem. Almost all my bikes are 83 and later, so the flying "C" will be period correct for all of them.
Only time I might consider the plainer looking cap would be if I'm doing a build from an time that had it.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)