Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Raleigh Super Course!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Raleigh Super Course!

Old 03-20-10, 11:05 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by bibliobob
Consider this my "Before" photo. It's pretty crusty at the moment (lots of rust on chrome), but I hope to take it for a test ride tomorrow and, with some parts in the works, have it finalized in the next few weeks. Apologies for the poor photo, but it's snowing outside and I'm not sure where my camera is at the moment (this was taken with my camera phone).

Great possibilities there bibliobob !
Old 03-21-10, 12:00 AM
toytech

Bikes: enough bikes to qualify for Hoarders......

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr_Christopher
Have you flipped it yet? I am wanting to buy a Super Course :-)
I did indeed after some maintenance and improvements, most notably the suntour front derailler and Huret shifters.
Old 03-21-10, 05:32 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7338 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,423 Posts
soonerbills, no, the bikes came with all European components in those days, so the derailleurs and shifters are replacements. The European parts didn't last long, which is why you see them replaced so often.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-21-10, 12:35 PM
soonerbills
soonerbills

Bikes: 25 at last count. One day I'll make a list

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi soonerbills -
Looks like a 71-72 to me. I beleive the Shimano DRs/Suntour changers, saddle and foam padded bar tape later additions.
The rims, crank, GB stem and brakes are original, with the possible exception of the hoods.

I think you are right on the year. i remember reading or hearing here on the forum that the last two digits are the year but can't remember for sure.
I think the sticker was a "531" but is pretty well gone. Is there anything special about the lugs?

soonerbills, no, the bikes came with all European components in those days, so the derailleurs and shifters are replacements. The European parts didn't last long, which is why you see them replaced so often.

Tom, The derails are Shimano Crane. Are these desirable as a vintage pieces? I read they were the early Dura Ace models. The freewheel has a massive "granny" gear and the big chain is "big". Was this the norm for extra large frames or is this just a unique feature for this particular bike maybe a customer preference?
Old 03-21-10, 01:00 PM
auchencrow

Is there anything special about the lugs? - Of course there are special - They're beautiful Nervex lugs (but they were standard issue at the time).

Are these (Chimano Crane DR's) desirable as a vintage pieces? You bet! Very much so.

massive "granny" gear and the big chain is "big". Was this the norm? I don't know about the granny gear availability.
Old 03-21-10, 04:55 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I don't think the Crane origionally came on these bikes but they're way cool.
Old 03-22-10, 07:04 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

soonerbills, you have the original cranks and chainrings, and they're probably 40t and 52t. That was normal. I think the original freewheel was 14-28t. So putting on a bigger freewheel (for lower lows) makes sense. And yes, the Crane derailleurs is close to period-correct. They're slightly newer but only slightly. They may not even be newer but yes, they are replacements. So do keep them if they work well, and they probably do.

Oh my God, I just realized I had a bike dream last night where I was elated with the performance of some old Suntour derailleurs and shifters.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Likes For noglider:
Old 03-22-10, 07:13 AM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by noglider
Oh my God, I just realized I had a bike dream last night where I was elated with the performance of some old Suntour derailleurs and shifters.
noglider - We all dream about stuff like that - but no one else admits to it!
-A
Old 03-22-10, 02:03 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Its no Dream. Its reality.

Soonerbills, if thats a 71-72 (and i would agree it is) its 531 main tubes and hi-ten forks and stays....that is the same color my '72 was when I got it although you've got significantly more paint than I did.
Old 03-22-10, 07:12 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts

Throw some Cyclone M-II on one of your bikes, and you will be. This Nuovo GS on my 510 is what makes me wish I was elated, lol.,,,,BD
Old 03-22-10, 07:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Funny you should mention that. I acquired a Zebrakenko with Cyclone derailleurs, and the thought to swap those parts out has occurred to me. I don't think I've ever tried them.

Old 03-22-10, 07:35 PM
Bikedued

Definitely try them! You will be pleasantly surprised, especially if they're the M-II variety. One of the smoothest shifting
friction derailleurs I've ever used. That's what I have on my copper SC earlier in this thread.,,,,BD
Old 03-22-10, 08:20 PM
ohjonnybegoode

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
After I swore I was done buying bikes for awhile…I saw a CL ad for a Super Course, so, of course I bought it. I’m guessing it’s a 1973 vintage..looks like the serial number on the left rear dropout reads 0055660. 23.5 inch frame…just large enough for me to fit on comfortably…Bronze Green with a Stronglight crank, Simplex derailleur, alloy rims, Normandy hubs, etc.

The bike is in decent shape…it’s missing the rear brake and chain, and it needs a thorough cleaning…the Brooks B17 Narrow isn’t in the best shape…but it’s going on my Super Course MkII…and B17 that I picked up last week for it is going back on the auction site…the sale of which will offset the price of the bike…. I think I’m going to tuck this one away for awhile until I decide what exactly to do with it.

Last edited by ohjonnybegoode; 03-22-10 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-22-10, 09:03 PM
auchencrow

Hi ohjohnnybegoode! Welcome to the multiple SC owners' club -

The Brooks still has plenty of miles on it - but I would give it a liberal dose of Proofide top and bottom now and again in a few weeks, then just occasionally thereafter.

Look for cracks on the DR's plastic housing. If there is any you may have to take some advice from this thread for later DR substitutes - There is a plethora to choose from that will work on these bikes.

I would recommend shopping for a Weinmann 750 for the missing brake - the 610 is too short for some of these SC's so unless you get it free - play it safe.
Old 03-22-10, 10:25 PM
Bikedued

With the Deep sides, that looks like a B.15 Narrow? Nice find, I wish I had a green one. My black prugnat started life as a green one, but
the only traces I found were inside the BB, and the fork. They even stripped the steerer, but left a tiny ring near the crown race.,,,,BD

Oops, missed th B.17 narrow notation... Still a sweet looking saddle. Slather it with proofide, top and bottom.. Do that several times, then rub the finish out.
Maybe even some neutral color Meltonian leather polish for good measure. I've brought back a few that look like yours, and they're usually perfectly
fine once treated, and ridden a while.

Last edited by Bikedued; 03-22-10 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-23-10, 07:02 AM
ohjonnybegoode

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
With the Deep sides, that looks like a B.15 Narrow? Nice find, I wish I had a green one. My black prugnat started life as a green one, but
the only traces I found were inside the BB, and the fork. They even stripped the steerer, but left a tiny ring near the crown race.,,,,BD

Oops, missed th B.17 narrow notation... Still a sweet looking saddle. Slather it with proofide, top and bottom.. Do that several times, then rub the finish out.
Maybe even some neutral color Meltonian leather polish for good measure. I've brought back a few that look like yours, and they're usually perfectly
fine once treated, and ridden a while.
Thanks....the color and the saddle are what led me to make the purchase...it may very well be a B15 Narrow...it's just worn off enough on the side to not be able to make out the model...I was thinking B17 Narrow as that was orginial equipment. Either way, it will look nice on my Mk.II...
Old 03-25-10, 09:31 PM
shnibop 

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 22 Posts
just bought this today, it was a little big for me but hoped it would fit my brother... and it doesn't. the components are a mess and mostly non-original to the bike. cudak888 is guessing that this is an early 70's super course that had been fully chromed at some point. the chrome looks pretty nice overall, but around the head tube and where the seat stays meet the seat tube there is some surface rust forming. if it fit, i would build it up and have a cool looking beater, but at this point i might as well let it go to someone who might be able to enjoy it.

anyone interested in picking up this little gem? frame only or the whole mess

set of pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/3519041...7623697240054/

Last edited by shnibop; 03-25-10 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-26-10, 04:57 AM
auchencrow

hI sHNIBOP -

WOW - It looks like someone went through a great deal of trouble to upgrade their baby (though I could do without the stem shifters). The Capaella lugs look great in Chrome! I don't think it would be difficult to arrest that little bit of rust - a little rust-to-prime converter and a daub of chrome paint would make it hard to detect.

What crank, DRs and levers are on it?
Old 03-26-10, 07:36 AM
AndyK 

Bikes: '11 TIME NXR Instinct, '03 De Rosa Planet '79 Paris Sport (Moulton)

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Nice Supercorses!

Are there any with all Campy NR / SR ?

Old 03-26-10, 07:40 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2414 Post(s)
Liked 4,374 Times in 2,086 Posts
Incidentally, shnibop, I hadn't noticed the riveted-on headbadge. It's been re-chromed for sure.

-Kurt

Old 03-26-10, 09:04 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Never seen one in chrome before...what year is it?

interesting rear cog set
Old 03-26-10, 09:13 AM
sciencemonster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hadn't been here in a few days, but coincidentally I just rebuilt a supercourse last night fro a friend of my son's. No big deal, except it was a Mixte, which I've never seen before:

Sorry I don't have better pics, I didn't think there'd be a thread on SCs, so I only took this one to show her the progress.

The bike had sorry components and French upright bars when the girl got it...she wanted road bars becasue although she's never ridden a bike before, she did know that they were cooler. She wouldn't put any money into it, so this is about finished. Relubed and new cables/brakes/tires. It looks like it had never been ridden. Not a scratch, not a sign of wear anyplace.

I told her the bike was worth putting a hundred or two into new components...we'll see.

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
supercourse2.jpg (96.8 KB, 1485 views)
Old 03-26-10, 09:51 AM
auchencrow

Hi Sciencemonster -

That is really very unusual - I've never seen a SC mixte before.

What new components are you recommending? It does not look like it needs a thing to me (except for a Brooks)
Old 03-26-10, 10:19 AM
sciencemonster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
She actually showed up at my door to look at one of my bikes, but I told her my bikes suck and to quick go buy this mixte...and then I got stuck renewing it. I offered to just becasue I had been interested in the mixte, but not interested enough to go to Mountain View and pay $100 - but I did want to play with it.

It had french stem/handlebars/mafac plastic levers that someone had switched out when it was new...a bike shop no doubt. It had a horrible plastic Simplex RD on it, which I swapped out fro the only thing I had that fit - a Huret. I sold her the stem, handlebars, RD, brake levers, new cables for $60 and a lube job for $50, and the price of some brake shoes, barwrap, and housing. I tried to talk her into buying a seat and a decent drivetrain...even just a SIS freewheel...but she didn't bite. I would have recommended last year's Veloce - it's cheap, and it works. I just don't even bother with vintage drive trains...htey just suck.

I told her that when she gets sick of the crappy shifting, to bring it back, I'd install upgrades for free. The bike was well worth investing money in.

It was amazingly light. I was really impressed, even withall the crappy parts on it. I didn't weight it but I would guess well under 25#. The Gran Prix mixte I had must have weighed twice as much. It was really small though - she was 5' 6" and could have easily ridden a mens bike.
Old 03-26-10, 10:33 AM
will015

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know it's back on page 1 and I don't want to hijack the thread....... but, bikamper, who makes those panniers on your SC? I'm guessing the panniers on your Superbe are swiss bread bags, correct?

BTW, cool bikes all. I've never ridden a SC but have had the pleasure of riding a loaned International for a while and it was smooth and lovely.

,Will

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.