Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

I'm confused about chainline on Co-Mo Speedster

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

I'm confused about chainline on Co-Mo Speedster

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-21, 12:03 PM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
Try "crossing" your cables while you're at it.
I shall try this!
Old 09-23-21, 10:37 AM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
With a tandem, you can effectively run the right cable to the left housing, send it down to the left BB cable guide, and THEN cross it to the the right cable guide under the stoker BB. Do the same, but opposite, with the left shifter cable. This creates much smoother derailleur cable/housing curves and less friction.
I'm about to try this. I take it the crossed cables don't rub against each other, or at least if they do it isn't an issue?
Old 09-23-21, 01:24 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by sapporoguy
I'm about to try this. I take it the crossed cables don't rub against each other, or at least if they do it isn't an issue?
It's normally a pretty low angle and doesn't end up mattering.
I've known a lot of people who have done this cross in front of the downtube on MTBs. There it's just a matter of making sure the cables don't take paint off the frame, but that's not normally an issue under a tandem boom tube.