Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best Websites for buying Tires?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-27-20, 10:02 AM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts

Hello,
I'm not sure where to post this so I'm trying in this forum. Can I get some suggestions on good online Bicycle supply companies that have a large and varied selection of Bicycle Tires? I currently am wanting to replace the mountain bike knobby tires on my 1987 Raleigh Mountain tour. I don't ride through trails and right now my main riding area while I get re-adjusted to biking is my subdivision and the county roads around my home. So I want more street tires for my mountain bike. I have tried unsuccessfully to find some tires on Amazon that are in stock and able to ship to me without either charging a fortune or having the cost of the tires be outrageous. The selections I have seen on Amazon are very limited.

Thank you so much for any website suggestions
Old 08-27-20, 10:35 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Shopping internationally? hate small businesses like Local Bike shops,

I get mine at my local, no shipping walking int a brick & Mortar shop.

Covid-19 is world wide and is effecting the supply lines every where too..

Old 08-27-20, 10:46 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Thread moved from Bike Mechanics to General Cycling Discussion.
Old 08-27-20, 11:01 AM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Shopping internationally? hate small businesses like Local Bike shops,

I get mine at my local, no shipping walking int a brick & Mortar shop.

Covid-19 is world wide and is effecting the supply lines every where too..

Actually No I had no intention of shopping internationally at all. Just because a store has an online presence doesn't mean they are international. I ended up finding what I want on Bicycle Warehouse which is a US business, they had free shipping over $50 and surprisingly no sales tax either. I'm using the local Bicycle shop to put the tires and tubes on for me, so I'll be paying them, I 'm just trying to save a couple extra dollars because I might get furloughed from my Federal job due to Covid so I'm trying to also save a couple dollars. I know there is a markup on some items and the only tires the local bike store had in stock were the mountain bike ones.

I'm not sure why you assumed I was trying to shop internationally and to not utilize the local bike store as some sort of snub to them. I'm just trying to do my best save myself a couple of dollars while still trying to support local businesses.
Old 08-27-20, 11:13 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,298 Times in 7,231 Posts
I buy a particular type of touring tire I ride from biketiresdirect.com
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-27-20, 11:18 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts
Can you post a picture of the Mountain Tour? I used to have an 86 or 87.

BikeTiresDirect.com is a good source. FYI-I had Continental Traffics and Kenda K-Rads which were both flat prone.

Schwalbe Big Apples were the bomb though.
Old 08-27-20, 11:19 AM
tpadul 

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I buy a particular type of touring tire I ride from biketiresdirect.com
Thanks so much! I'll remember that site for next time!

I ended up looking on bicyclewarehouse.com and found some Giant Flatguard PPT
Old 08-27-20, 11:23 AM
tpadul 

Originally Posted by stevel610
Can you post a picture of the Mountain Tour? I used to have an 86 or 87.

BikeTiresDirect.com is a good source. FYI-I had Continental Traffics and Kenda K-Rads which were both flat prone.

Schwalbe Big Apples were the bomb though.
Hi Steve
here is my 1987 Mountain Tour
and I found some nice Giant Flatguard PPT tires on Bicycle warehouse so those look pretty good and we’re within my budget. I ordered Schwalbe inner tubes

Likes For tpadul:
Old 08-27-20, 11:28 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Originally Posted by tpadul
I'm not sure why you assumed....
Don't try to make any sense of it. Just add to your ignore list like the rest of us.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-27-20, 11:42 AM
tpadul 

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Don't try to make any sense of it. Just add to your ignore list like the rest of us.
Good Suggestion!! Thanks
Likes For tpadul:
Old 08-27-20, 12:02 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts
Hi Steve
here is my 1987 Mountain Tour
and I found some nice Giant Flatguard PPT tires on Bicycle warehouse so those look pretty good and we’re within my budget. I ordered Schwalbe inner tubes

Glad to hear it and thanks for posting the pictures! Mine was red too. My girlfriend at the time had a green Elkhorn IIRC.
Old 08-27-20, 12:20 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Best deals on tires I've seen are on ebay. You might have to hunt and be patient, but I've gotten deals there that I've never seen at a regular retailer.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 08-27-20, 12:20 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 53 Posts
I usually buy from reputable eBay storefronts, as you can often get free shipping.
Likes For Dirt Farmer:
Old 08-27-20, 12:58 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
biketiresdirect.com or universalcycles.com. The latter often has better prices, but the navigation may be worth the extra cost of the former.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 08-27-20, 01:02 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Thank you so much for any website suggestions
This site for excellent tires.
https://www.schwalbetires.com/
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 08-27-20, 01:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Didn't ask your LBS when more tires were coming in.. ?..

biketiresdirect.com does have tires in its name FWIW..
Old 08-27-20, 02:39 PM
BoraxKid

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Actually No I had no intention of shopping internationally at all. Just because a store has an online presence doesn't mean they are international. I ended up finding what I want on Bicycle Warehouse which is a US business, they had free shipping over $50 and surprisingly no sales tax either. I'm using the local Bicycle shop to put the tires and tubes on for me, so I'll be paying them, I 'm just trying to save a couple extra dollars because I might get furloughed from my Federal job due to Covid so I'm trying to also save a couple dollars. I know there is a markup on some items and the only tires the local bike store had in stock were the mountain bike ones.

I'm not sure why you assumed I was trying to shop internationally and to not utilize the local bike store as some sort of snub to them. I'm just trying to do my best save myself a couple of dollars while still trying to support local businesses.
Just a quick tip: your local LBS is probably swamped with maintenance jobs right now (assuming they are competently managed). So your job of mounting new tires could be delayed several days or more. It might be faster to order some tire levers while you're shopping online, and then look up the Park Tool video for how to change a mountain bike tire. Changing your own tires is a skill you should have anyway, in case you get a flat while you're out riding your bike. After all, you wouldn't go out for a drive without knowing how to change a flat, would you?
Likes For BoraxKid:
Old 08-27-20, 03:24 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts

One person's E-tailer, is another's LBS. It's way too easy to get hung up in thinking than an online seller can't also be local (to someone)
https://www.yelp.com/biz/excel-sports-boulder-boulder
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/visit-store

Last edited by Sy Reene; 08-27-20 at 03:34 PM.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 08-27-20, 05:10 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,298 Times in 7,231 Posts

As if all LBS carry every make and model of tire that someone might want. I try use LBS whenever possible. Hell. My custom ti frame was built by the owner of a LBS. Even rode it home from the shop. But sometimes you have to look outside the ‘hood to get what you want.

Last edited by indyfabz; 08-27-20 at 05:13 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-27-20, 05:49 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
If you ride so little that you haven't had to buy any new stuff in 20 years, it may be easy to imagine the LBS has everything you might need.
Old 08-28-20, 07:22 AM
tpadul 

Originally Posted by BoraxKid
Just a quick tip: your local LBS is probably swamped with maintenance jobs right now (assuming they are competently managed). So your job of mounting new tires could be delayed several days or more. It might be faster to order some tire levers while you're shopping online, and then look up the Park Tool video for how to change a mountain bike tire. Changing your own tires is a skill you should have anyway, in case you get a flat while you're out riding your bike. After all, you wouldn't go out for a drive without knowing how to change a flat, would you?
Yes they are actually swamped, and I really want to learn how to do all this myself. I was just about to post today about a new $10 find I got off the Facebook Marketplace yesterday, and I want to learn to how fix and repair my bikes. I have just recently found the time to get back into riding and I'm doing for exercise and weight loss. I'm 52 and have not really been on my bike in a long time. Busy career and being a mom, my daughter has been in the Navy now for the past 3 years stationed in Japan this entire time and she is off living her best life and I am now wanting to get back into riding my bike. So, I was about to post this morning about suggestions for a good person to watch on YouTube with videos on how to do basic Bicycle maintenance and repair. I used to do a lot of the basic stuff when I was a kid but shoot that was over 35 some years ago and I never learned how to take the back wheel off with the chain and the sprockets. We used to just patch our tires with patch kits and do a little tinkering around.

I try to follow some of the posts here but to be very honest all the lingo confuses the heck out of me, and I don't know all the terminology of the parts on the bike and I feel embarrassed always asking what people are talking about. So I need to find a good YouTube person online that shows step by step how to do things so I can practice.

The cheap $10 bike I just picked up last night is a 1984 Schwinn World Sport ladies bike, the tires are all rotted and it needs new tires and tubes and possibly the rims too, I'm not sure how to tell if the rims are good or bad yet, I was about to post some photos soon in another new post. I want this $10 bike to be something that I can start teaching myself how to fix and replace parts.

I have to go online today and order new tires and tubs for the Schwinn I picked up yesterday so I will order a Tire lever and if you can also suggest maybe something else I could start out with like a basic bicycle tool kit perhaps I would really appreciate the suggestions.
Old 08-28-20, 07:40 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
I want to learn to how fix and repair my bikes. I have just recently found the time to get back into riding and I'm doing for exercise and weight loss. I'm 52 and have not really been on my bike in a long time. Busy career and being a mom, my daughter has been in the Navy now for the past 3 years stationed in Japan
My favorite Youtube bike repair channel is "RJ the Bike Guy". A few years ago, I didn't know much about bike repair, other than replacing tires/tubes. Now, I service my own bikes completely, all due to his channel. Very easy instructions.
I am turning 50 this year, and I'd hate to see what I would look like if I never picked up riding again. I feel great now, and I my weight is close to what I had in my late 20's.
And tell your daughter thanks for her service. Japan is a great place to be stationed. I was in Okinawa for 8 years while I was in the USMC. The food, people, and scenery are some of my favorite memories ever.
Likes For friday1970:
Old 08-28-20, 07:51 AM
tpadul 

Originally Posted by friday1970
My favorite Youtube bike repair channel is "RJ the Bike Guy". A few years ago, I didn't know much about bike repair, other than replacing tires/tubes. Now, I service my own bikes completely, all due to his channel. Very easy instructions.
I am turning 50 this year, and I'd hate to see what I would look like if I never picked up riding again. I feel great now, and I my weight is close to what I had in my late 20's.
And tell your daughter thanks for her service. Japan is a great place to be stationed. I was in Okinawa for 8 years while I was in the USMC. The food, people, and scenery are some of my favorite memories ever.
Thank you so so much for this suggestion on the YouTube channel! I will definitely check out RJ the Bike Guy!! And Thank you for your Service!! My daughter LOVES Japan!! :-) I went to visit her for two weeks back in March 2018, she is stationed in Yokosuka, so it was nice being so close to Tokyo. She did get the chance to stop in Okinawa on their last underway. She just re-enlisted in February so she will still have another 5 years active to go before she decides if she will stay in or get out.

I have traveled extensively overseas for the past 30 some years and I have to say when I went to Japan for that visit it was my first time visiting any country in Asia and I was seriously blown away at the beauty and the entire culture. I am a hobby photographer as well so I had a blast. My daughter has lots of Marine friends there and many of them come on her ship when they go on their underways.

Thanks so much for the YouTube channel suggestion