Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Quick motion Elite rollers

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 10-26-20, 11:18 AM
banjaboy

Bikes: Focus Izalco Pro 3.0 Specialized Sirrus 6.0 Genesis Core 50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts

Any Clydesdales got a set of Quick motion Elite rollers? Claim max weight is 115 kg including bike, around 250lbs. I weigh that and a bit more plus my bike. Dont want to break them
Old 10-26-20, 02:42 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
My guess is the weight rating is due to the plastic construction, so I’d avoid as a heavyweight. Any particular reason you’re looking at them? Rollers have a very narrow workout usability and the ~400 watts of resistance isn’t much. A trainer would be a far better investment if you don’t have one already. If you do, just get a set of more sturdy rollers without the resistance unit and play with tyre pressure. You can get a whole lot of resistance from low pressure tyres on rollers.

FWIW I have a set of the Cycleops rollers. Basic AF but they do the job. They only get used for track racing warmups and cool downs. The trainer gets used for everything else
Old 10-29-20, 07:27 PM
banjaboy

Settled on a set of Tacx Galaxia rollers, I can add an aftermarket resistance unit if I need it.
Old 11-01-20, 08:19 PM
banjaboy

Trainer is useless for core, thats what I need, had rollerscyears ago and they were perfect cfor refining riding style, core, everything. Static trainers, any I have had are boeing, not interested in video game style apps. Core strength, riding style, thats what Im looking for. The Galaxia are very rugged. Got an aftermarket resistance ubnit coming. Faling that I have a 12 volts mag unit that will fit
Old 11-02-20, 08:26 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by brawlo
My guess is the weight rating is due to the plastic construction, so I’d avoid as a heavyweight. Any particular reason you’re looking at them? Rollers have a very narrow workout usability and the ~400 watts of resistance isn’t much. A trainer would be a far better investment if you don’t have one already. If you do, just get a set of more sturdy rollers without the resistance unit and play with tyre pressure. You can get a whole lot of resistance from low pressure tyres on rollers.

FWIW I have a set of the Cycleops rollers. Basic AF but they do the job. They only get used for track racing warmups and cool downs. The trainer gets used for everything else
Smart power rollers have come a long since the days of Elite.

You are correct about the Elite being limited in power and construction, but the new rollers on the market are not that way at all.

There are only two smart power rollers on the market that are worth purchasing in my opinion...and Elite is not one of them. None of them have plastic parts and all of them produce enough power and replicate enough elevation.

1. Tru-Trainer with smart load option
2. InsideRide e-Motion rollers....I have these myself and can tell you that they are incredible

The Tru-Trainers do not have fore and aft capability that the e-Motions do.
Old 11-02-20, 08:27 AM
jadocs

Originally Posted by banjaboy
Trainer is useless for core, thats what I need, had rollerscyears ago and they were perfect cfor refining riding style, core, everything. Static trainers, any I have had are boeing, not interested in video game style apps. Core strength, riding style, thats what Im looking for. The Galaxia are very rugged. Got an aftermarket resistance ubnit coming. Faling that I have a 12 volts mag unit that will fit
See my answer above.... you won't be sorry if you get either of those.
Old 11-02-20, 03:31 PM
brawlo

Originally Posted by banjaboy
Trainer is useless for core
Our training needs are all different, but I definitely wouldn't say that. For balance, yes the rollers have it, but my trainer workouts are 100% track focused and they are definitely a solid core workout. The biggest shortfall of rollers is the inability for out of the saddle work. Some talented individuals can do it and hats off to them, but most can't and that is a big part of my training.
Old 11-03-20, 08:44 AM
banjaboy

Not true, brawlo, read up on Tacx Galaxia, they have a floating chassis, you can hammer out of the saddle and the whole assembly will move fore and aft a couple of inches. My old Cyclops rollers were a death trap out ouf the saddle, getting great workouts, took 2 minutes to get the feel because its just like the road. My resistance unit goes on today, variable unit, not that I need it just yet. Nothing beats rollers for core, for balance, ride techniqiue, just glad I got these rockers. I do have a trainer but I think its going on Craigslist.
Old 11-03-20, 01:44 PM
brawlo

So the rockers pretty much solve the standing issue? I might have to give them a try, they’re relatively easy to ghetto up
Old 11-04-20, 12:06 PM
jadocs

Originally Posted by brawlo
So the rockers pretty much solve the standing issue? I might have to give them a try, they’re relatively easy to ghetto up
Actually do a search on YouTube for "DIY e-motion rollers". There are some very ingenious people who have made their own fore and aft motion system for their standard rollers. Not sure about "rockers".

But to answer your question, the fore and aft movement allows the bike to naturally move underneath you when getting out of the saddle (making it a lot more natural and as a result easier), or if you are just getting punchy in the saddle. Once you have done it a while and feel comfortable you will be able to weight the front end of your bike while getting out of the saddle, just like you do on the road. When learning to get out of the saddle on rollers, you have to keep your weight over your saddle until you learn not to overcorrect the front end and end up riding off or falling.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 11-08-20, 03:12 PM
banjaboy

It really is a unique experience Brawlo!!! I feel like im on the road. I bought an aftermarket resistance unit and its a dream now, perfect!!!!! BTW, heading to your wonderful country after Covid. I have dreamed of doing it, now its going to happen. Number Oene on my list Alicew Springs, I know, call me crazy, then Uluru, Ayers Rock!!!! Gonna spend at least 2 months there......Just a bit scared of the spiders, I know, Im a Canadian wimp, we just have grizzly bears here lol!!!
Old 11-09-20, 07:20 PM
brawlo

Beautiful part of our country out there. I was through there back in 2015. Just remember to take a lot of water! I was going to be travelling by 4x4 across the top part of Australia this year.....but Covid