Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bargain buy: chain tool

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-21, 04:11 PM
VicBC_Biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts

Impulse buy from Ali Express...
Funny, because usually I never consider junk tools....

I never 'bet' more than I can afford to lose without whining.
Hopefully I can save somebody from making the same bargain hunting error.
This tool is definitely in the 'what were they thinking' category. You might assume that there'd be a steel cross pin inside that plastic handle.
It didn't survive its first encounter with the rivet in a Shimano chain.
And, I don't have superhuman strength either!!
The bent pin is the 'spare' .

The Park Tool CT 3.3 is ordered and on its way.

I still have my 30+ (?) year old 'Cyclo Gear Rivoli' from Crown Works Birmingham UK so I got that Shimano chain shortened OK.
Likes For VicBC_Biker:
Old 05-29-21, 04:54 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Tool Shaped Object. Looks like a great source for a disc brake set up as someone here is contemplating....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-29-21, 06:23 PM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
I had a similar looking one (bought from a serious seller tough but marked „budget“). There the pin just bent instead of pushing the chain pin out.
Old 05-29-21, 07:08 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
This is definitely an illustration of the adage "only a rich man can afford cheap tools". I had a Park CT-3.2 that finally broke after 30 years. Park replaced it with a brand new CT-3.3 at no cost.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 05-29-21, 08:42 PM
VicBC_Biker

Originally Posted by HillRider
I had a Park CT-3.2 that finally broke after 30 years. Park replaced it with a brand new CT-3.3 at no cost.
Excellent.
Can't beat that for support.
How did you break it?

Park don't replace broken pins, though. "Operator error". And don't provide a spare pin with the $60 CAD tool.
Old 05-30-21, 09:20 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
I still use a hammer and punch. Multi purpose instead of a uni-tasker as Alton Brown would dislike. <grin>
Old 05-30-21, 10:09 AM
VicBC_Biker

Originally Posted by Iride01
I still use a hammer and punch. Multi purpose instead of a uni-tasker as Alton Brown would dislike. <grin>
When the chain is on the bike?
What do you use for an anvil (and a third hand)?
Likes For VicBC_Biker:
Old 05-30-21, 11:13 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Originally Posted by VicBC_Biker
When the chain is on the bike?
What do you use for an anvil (and a third hand)?
For the last 10 years I back it up with a roughly 3.5" x 6" block of 1" thick steel with a hole drilled in it to let the pin go into. It's easier to lay the bike on it's side and shore the steel piece under the chain with scrap wood or other pieces of steel. But I have on several occasions held the backer block and the punch with one hand and the hammer in the other hand while the bike was upright.

Before the block of steel, I used to just lay the bike on it's side and hammer the pin into a thick nut with a small hole.... on the same steel plate that it took many years to ask myself "why not just drill a hole in the plate!" <grin>

However those days might be gone for anything other than new chains that need sizing. And that can be done off the bike. Shimano and KMC both supply quick links for use once sized.
Old 05-30-21, 11:20 AM
VicBC_Biker

Originally Posted by Iride01
For the last 10 years I back it up with a roughly 3.5" x 6" block of 1" thick steel with a hole drilled in it to let the pin go into. It's easier to lay the bike on it's side and shore the steel piece under the chain with scrap wood or other pieces of steel. But I have on several occasions held the backer block and the punch with one hand and the hammer in the other hand while the bike was upright.

Before the block of steel, I used to just lay the bike on it's side and hammer the pin into a thick nut with a small hole.... on the same steel plate that it took many years to ask myself "why not just drill a hole in the plate!" <grin>

However those days might be gone for anything other than new chains that need sizing. And that can be done off the bike. Shimano and KMC both supply quick links for use once sized.
I like it! (not sayin' I'll change to that system, but good to 'have in my back pocket' if the chain tool isn't around and I'm home in my shop).

I have some quick links, and they do make things a lot easier once the chain is sized.
How often do chains break on a ride? Do I need to keep carrying the chain tool (and quick links) in my seat bag?