Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

NEED HELP deciding which bike to purchase?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-21, 01:01 PM
PapaMac67

Bikes: Canyon Endurace AL 6.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi All. I'm just getting back to cycling after many years away and need some help deciding which bike to get? I want a gravel bike for its more upright riding and want to try out disc brakes after always using rim in the past. I've spent the last 2 weeks doing research on what out there to buy and found about 20+ different bikes I'm interested in but due to the bike shortage both at my local bike shops and online I've narrowed it down to a few that are in stock and within my price range ($1500+). I'd love to hear some thoughts on these various models from folks who have more experience before I part with my money. I know a lot of people think the more expensive the better but that’s not always the case. I don’t know which of the brands are better value/quality? If anyone has any experience with any of these bikes/brands I’d love to hear it.

Here’s my list:

Scott Speedster Gravel 40 (Tiagra) - $1499

Fuji Jari 2.1 (Tiagra) - $1599

Cannondale Topstone 3 (Sora) - $1500

Giant Revolt 2 (Sora) - $1250

Marin Four Corners (Sora) - $1200

Marin Gestalt X10 (Microshift) - $1400
Old 06-05-21, 01:35 PM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
Some questions to ask yourself:

what type of riding do you plan on doing and what kind of surfaces?

Which of these bikes come with tubeless ready wheels?

how much tire clearance will you need?

do you want to keep up with roadie buddies where 2x may be more beneficial?

is steel really real?

Aside from 1x vs 2x the components will most likely all perform very similar across all these choices, so these questions may help you narrow it down.
Old 06-05-21, 01:53 PM
PapaMac67

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'll be doing a mix of pavement and dirt/gravel riding. Tubeless ready? I'll have to check that out. Do I want to switch to tubeless? I know zip about tires. Clearence I need? I don't know. I live in WNY state. Most of the area is pavement and some dirt/gravel here and there. I won't be riding in any rocky/muddy areas. I'll be riding solo. I'm kind of leaning towards one of the cheaper Sora spec'd bikes to ease the hit on my wallet and I hear Sora isn't a bad group for being lower end components. I figure this season is going to be me easing back into all this and I can always upgrade what i need to next year.

Last edited by PapaMac67; 06-05-21 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-05-21, 02:43 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by PapaMac67
I'm kind of leaning towards one of the cheaper Sora spec'd bikes to ease the hit on my wallet and I hear Sora isn't a bad group for being lower end components. I figure this season is going to be me easing back into all this and I can always upgrade what i need to next year.

Since you're just getting re-started, plan to budget for more than just the bike; you might need helmet, lights, tools, tubes, water bottles, cages, etc., and other things if you plan to convert to tubeless. There's nothing wrong with the Sora group; ride it until something breaks or wears out, then upgrade that part.

FWIW, the Marin Four Corners has Tektro Spyre mechanical disc brakes, which I like.

Most important is the FIT. Ride them all and get the one that's most comfortable and intuitive.
Old 06-05-21, 02:56 PM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
My wife bought a Devote (women’s version of Revolt 2) this spring. She loves it on road or gravel and often takes it instead of her road bike. It came set up tubeless. Tires would be the only upgrade I’d make - stock are wire bead, thick tread design, probably heavy. Really nice bike for the $.
Old 06-05-21, 03:04 PM
PapaMac67

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I bought a 2014 Specialized Allez Comp still in the box in winter 2017 and bought shoes, helmet, water bottles, tools etc. Due to life complications I NEVER rode the bike and had it sitting in my living room until a few days ago when I sold it in mint condition. I decided to sell it because I wanted a gravel bike and not a "racing" road bike but I still have all the stuff I bought so I'm ready to go....just need a bike. Only 1 bike, the Cannondale is available to test ride since all local bike shops are out of just about everything and all the others I have in my list will have to be bought online.
Old 06-05-21, 05:16 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
You have several very niche bikes on your list that few of us have experience with and are missing some of the more common bikes that are great proven performers (hence why they are popular) and well priced like Salsa Journeyman (Sora under $1,000), Jamis Renegade and some of the GRX 400 equipped bikes. The Journeyman and Renegades should be in stock by August according to the manufacturers if you can wait that long. I own a shop in PA and can tell you that we see a lot of people that buy bargain bikes on line and then take it to a shop and spend all of what they saved and more in additional work to fix what is wrong with their online purchase.
Old 06-05-21, 05:59 PM
PapaMac67

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had both the Salsa AND a Jamis S4 on my original list. Unfortunately I can not get hold of these...or any of the other dozen or so bikes I liked. I cannot wait until August to buy a bike. I want to spend my summer and into the fall getting back out there. I'm tired of sitting on my butt and getting out of shape. Do not want to sit another 2+ months. The list I made in my 1st post was for bikes that are acceptable to me for what I'm looking for AND are available to purchase now. I don't think any of my picks are "bargain bikes"? Pretty much the same quality/spec/build as the 2 you mentioned.
Old 06-05-21, 10:29 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Sorry, I did not mean to imply the bikes you are looking at are bargain bikes. Just warning you that some of the bargain bikes on line are not always bargains. What size frame are you looking for by the way?
Old 06-05-21, 11:07 PM
PapaMac67

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm 5.9" or 175cm in height. My inseam is about 31.5", Depending on the manufacturer I'm typically a MEDIUM. 1 or 2 bikes had me as a Large. Since I started this thread yesterday morning the Revolt 2 and the Gestalt X10 are no longer available online where I found them...sold out. The only one available locally is the Topstone 3. I kind of like the Marin Four corners but am leery because its being sold by Bikebling.com and having googled them their BBB rating isn't great. I'm going to call the local shop that carries the Cannondale and confirm they have it in stock in my size as their website states....if so I'll go check it out. The bike is nice....upgradeable...not crazy about the black paint but could get used to it....and being local if I have any issues there just a short drive away. Buying online at the $1000+ pricepoint make me skittish. I"ll do it if its my only alternative but I hear people complaining that they were told a bike was in stock and paid for it only afterwards to be told "oops sorry...turns out we don't have any left....we'll give you store credit or just hold on to your money until we get more in".
Likes For PapaMac67:
Old 06-06-21, 06:52 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
If you can buy the Topstone locally, that would be a great choice. Thru axles with current spacing and flat mount brakes. Components are decent and frame is nice enough to upgrade if you feel the need in the future.
Old 06-06-21, 07:20 PM
dwmckee

We have a Tiagra steel renegade at our shop that is used but in like new condition. Size 54 though so may be a bit small for you. It was my wife's bike and she always has several she is riding at a time so it only has a few hundred miles on it. I think we are asking $890 for it. It has upgraded Vittoria tires, new sub compact crank (30-46 gearing) and a rear rack on it.
Old 06-06-21, 09:19 PM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 84 Posts
If you get the chance to demo any of these bikes locally, then you might want to compare them on bikeinsights.com. Enter the year, make and model of 2 bikes and you’ll be able to compare geometries. Helped me narrow down some of the online bikes based on a Topstone I test rode at my LBS.
https://bikeinsights.com

Last edited by Wilbur76; 06-06-21 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Added URL
Old 06-06-21, 09:48 PM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I wanted to test ride the Marin Gestalt X10 and called around and no dealer had one in stock in my size or maybe any size.
So I ended up buying a Triban 105 road bike for $1200 as a mostly road bike with some off-road riding, as you can fit a 38 maybe a 40 size tire on the Triban.
They make a Gravel model, but do not sell it in the states.

In general, I like Marin gravel adventure bike series. The Fuji is also a good bang for your buck bike. A good fit is most important.
REI has the CO-OP ADV 2.2 for $1600 with a mixture of Tiagra and Shimano GRX. Though the stack is not that high.
FAIRDALE WEEKENDER NOMAD 650B BIKE is another nice bike. I ride a Goodship and really rides nice and I'm sure the Sram Force helps.
With so much out of stock it kind of makes it PITA when bike shopping.

Last edited by Joeyseven; 06-06-21 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-07-21, 11:14 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
In these days I go back to the old saying, "Perfect is the enemy of good enough."

If you can find any of these in your size, try it and buy it if it feels good. Otherwise, you can compare web pages and reviews for another year or two.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 06-07-21, 04:20 PM
PapaMac67

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I did just order a bike online today. None of the bikes I listed in my OP were available to me locally. 1 local store had the Cannondale Topstone 3 in stock but not in my size contrary to what their website was saying. That left me having to buy one online and the stock in my size was limited. The Canyon bike website had the Endurace AL Disc 6.0 back in low stock, ONLY in my size, this morning after being out of stock in all sizes previously. I called them up and spoke to a super nice and knowledgeable salesperson and ended up getting it. I should have it by next Tuesday. I like the fact I'm getting it directly from the manufacturer and not an out of state bikeshop/sports equipment website. They have a 30 day money back policy so if I don't like it for whatever reason I can get a full refund. I got free shipping on it too! This bike was on my personal list I made 2 weeks ago when I started looking for a bike to get but was out of stock at the time. It comes with a road style 28mm tire but was told I can go up to a 32mm knobbier tire if I choose. I'll be riding it on pavement mostly to start out so that’s fine. I'd love to hear feedback from anyone familiar with this bike. I'm pretty excited I found something. Thanks for all the help and replies. PS....can anyone recommend a good knobbier 32mm tire to go on the DT Swiss E1850 wheelset?

Last edited by PapaMac67; 06-07-21 at 05:39 PM.
Likes For PapaMac67:
Old 06-07-21, 05:00 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Nice! Pics when you get it.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-07-21, 08:05 PM
dwmckee

The Gravel Kings are made in 32mm and a great choice for that width.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 06-07-21, 08:42 PM
PapaMac67

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I will check those tires out. Thanks!