Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Recurring Flat tire alex rim rc24

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-21, 01:50 PM
kidadam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts

Hi all,

I’ve had 5 flats both front and back over three weeks on my bike. I have newer corsa tires but these flats also happened on another tire set. I’m going crazy - I don’t see any issues. I’m actually thinking of just getting a new wheelset. Anything I should look for or note? I ran various tire pressures between 120 and 140.

Old 06-21-21, 02:05 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Much more info is needed to ascertain how to advise. Tube or tubeless? Assuming tubes, where on the tube is the puncture occurring? Is it more of a puncture or a rupture? Are you patching the tubes or mounting new ones. Are you doing the repair or do you take it to a shop? Any issues (like goat heads) prevalent in your area? What have you done so far to figure this out?
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 06-21-21, 02:18 PM
kidadam

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Much more info is needed to ascertain how to advise. Tube or tubeless? Assuming tubes, where on the tube is the puncture occurring? Is it more of a puncture or a rupture? Are you patching the tubes or mounting new ones. Are you doing the repair or do you take it to a shop? Any issues (like goat heads) prevalent in your area? What have you done so far to figure this out?
Tubes is correct.
I’m mounting new ones each time and doing it myself.
Seems like a puncture. Today it blew about 15 k from home and I managed to limb back. It probably went from 140 psi to about 80 to 60. It started hissing loudly and then stopped. I took advantage of the stop and flew home.

It happened at the stem once. I reinforced the tape in that area.

One time I spun the road on the rim under heavy braking - I think the tire slipped on the rim.

Last edited by kidadam; 06-21-21 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-21-21, 02:25 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Your pressure is wayyyyyyyy too high. Moving on from that...the very first thing you should be doing when you flat is to pump up the punctured tube and find the hole. Always. First thing. When you find that hole have a close look at the tube and determine whether that hole would be against the tire or the rim. This will make it very easy to find your problem. Did I mention your tires are inflated wayyyyyyyy too hard? How much do you weigh?
Old 06-21-21, 02:27 PM
kidadam

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Your pressure is wayyyyyyyy too high. Moving on from that...the very first thing you should be doing when you flat is to pump up the punctured tube and find the hole. Always. First thing. When you find that hole have a close look at the tube and determine whether that hole would be against the tire or the rim. This will make it very easy to find your problem. Did I mention your tires are inflated wayyyyyyyy too hard? How much do you weigh?
I’m 165.

What can I say, I always want to go to the edge…
Old 06-21-21, 02:29 PM
cxwrench

Your bike will roll better, have more comfort and more traction w/ lower pressure. What size tires? Riding at 140 is just ridiculous.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 06-21-21, 02:30 PM
kidadam

Your bike will roll better, have more comfort and more traction w/ lower pressure. What size tires? Riding at 140 is just ridiculous.
they are 23s. What do you recommend? 100? For the most part I was running them at 120.
Old 06-21-21, 02:41 PM
cxwrench

I'm the same weight as you. First thing I would do is buy bigger tires. 25 or 28mm. I'd inflate 23mm tires to 100 rear at most. More likely 90-95 rear and about 10psi less for the front. I will never ride 23mm tires again. There is just not enough air volume for them to both be comfortable and protect the rims. For every size larger tire you can drop 10psi to keep the same feel, but as you gain air volume you can go a little lower. I'd ride 25mm at 85rr/75frt and the 28mm tires 10psi less than that.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 06-21-21, 02:47 PM
kidadam

I'm the same weight as you. First thing I would do is buy bigger tires. 25 or 28mm. I'd inflate 23mm tires to 100 rear at most. More likely 90-95 rear and about 10psi less for the front. I will never ride 23mm tires again. There is just not enough air volume for them to both be comfortable and protect the rims. For every size larger tire you can drop 10psi to keep the same feel, but as you gain air volume you can go a little lower. I'd ride 25mm at 85rr/75frt and the 28mm tires 10psi less than that.
I’ve gone down that 23 vs 25 worm hole. It seemed like a never ending spiral but I would say most come out for 25s.

and thanks to everyone - I’d say the pressure solves it.
Old 06-21-21, 03:15 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I agree that you should be riding lower pressure. I'm 165lbs and when I rode 23mm tires (10 years ago?) I ran them at around 100psi.

That said, while 140psi seems a bit extreme, I don't think that is causing you to get flat tires. I'd suggest removing the existing rim tape/strips and installing new, paying special attention the valve stem hole so that there is no exposed metal. Also check your tires carefully to make sure you haven't picked up a tiny shard of glass or metal that is stuck on the inside of the tire.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 06-27-21, 08:59 PM
masonicdude

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you checking the tire?

I was having this problem a while back ago. The culprit was a very tiny thorn in the tire. Visually inspect the tire than run your fingers carefully on the inside of the tire.
Old 06-28-21, 10:37 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
When I was 160 lbs I ran 80 psi
Old 06-28-21, 11:21 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
When I was 160 lbs I ran 80 psi
BINGO. We all rode 23's for decades and they were fine then.
Old 07-05-21, 09:17 AM
kidadam

I ran 100 psi and got another one...

It looks like something cut the tire hence why I wasn’t feeling anything. Could this be it? It’s a tiny hole.

Old 07-05-21, 09:46 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by kidadam
I ran 100 psi and got another one...

It looks like something cut the tire hence why I wasn’t feeling anything. Could this be it? It’s a tiny hole.
I don't know if it's been mentioned (even if it has been, it looks like it could use repeating), but you should be taking care to align your tires when mounting, tire logo to valve stem hole.

Aside from the aesthetic reasons, it helps to locate the site of problematic flats - find the puncture location on the tube, relative to the valve stem, and then find the corresponding spot on the tire, relative to the logo. You really shouldn't have to be asking "could this be it?!" if you play your cards right.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-05-21, 04:21 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Never seen anything like that. What is it, a banana peel?