Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hi from Upstate NY

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hi from Upstate NY

Old 07-27-21, 04:12 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 745 Posts
Hi from Upstate NY

Returning to ‘serious’ cycling after a few decades of little more than occasional utility riding on 3-speed beaters. I was really into long-distance and loaded touring in high-school and college, but following a European tour (where my beloved Cannondale ST600 was stolen..) I moved to NYC and after a few run-ins with cars and regularly finding parts gone from my bike, or the whole bike gone (340 sq/ft, 5th floor walk-up, so my bike(s) had to live on the street…) I pretty much gave up. Now in rural upstate NY I’m back to it. Bought a cheap, vintage 90s Cannondale T900, as much out of nostalgia for the ST600 I took to Europe as anything else. Mostly just daily 20-30 or so mile rides right now, doing battle with the hills of the Catskills (& often white-knuckling it on the crappy, shoulder-less country roads with all the oversize, inattentive drivers in their oversize vehicles that make a sport of how close they can get as they pass by someone on a bike…..), but looking forward to doing some light touring and maybe getting into some Randonneuring in the future. I don’t know how I lived without cycling for as long as I did and it feels great to be doing it again- and its really amazing how much has changed equipment-wise and in the sport in general since I was last actively paying attention!
Old 07-27-21, 05:28 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
You might want to mention where in upstate. It's a big place.
Old 07-27-21, 06:06 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
You might want to mention where in upstate. It's a big place.
He/she stated the Catskills. I've no need to know what town.

And as note, "Upstate" for NY usually means north of Mount Vernon, possibly as far north as Saratoga Springs, at which point it becomes The North Country, then generally east of the Finger Lakes, which is Western NY. Still a big area.
Old 07-27-21, 06:22 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 745 Posts
North-west Catskills (& 'he'). Yes, NYS is pretty big...
Old 07-27-21, 08:39 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
He/she stated the Catskills. I've no need to know what town.

And as note, "Upstate" for NY usually means north of Mount Vernon, possibly as far north as Saratoga Springs, at which point it becomes The North Country, then generally east of the Finger Lakes, which is Western NY. Still a big area.
Now that I live on LI, upstate seems to be anything north of the Bronx, when I lived in Albany Upstate was north of Saratoga, Oswego and Baldwinsville were central NY and upstate was the thousand islands, living in Rochester we often called ourselves upstate, it is an ephemeral statement, though Catskills at least covers a good enough region.

OP, welcome, always enjoyed riding the Catskills when my grandparents lived there and I'd head there to visit, some spots could be rough but major roads like 28, 32, and others often have nice shoulders and good to ride.
Old 07-27-21, 08:58 PM
Eyes Roll

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 46 Posts

Old 07-28-21, 04:05 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Growing up in Hackensack, NJ upstate was anything north of the state line. But, I spent a lot of years in Cobleskill, Preston Hollow and that area. Which is why I asked the question.
Old 07-28-21, 06:07 AM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 31 Posts
Welcome to BF!