Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Feeling super frustrated. Taint issues continue. UGG

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Feeling super frustrated. Taint issues continue. UGG

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-21, 06:52 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I've had saddle related issues last for months. It's a long, tedious, trial and error, system of recording every little micro adjustment.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 08-07-21, 08:04 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 1,009 Posts
Originally Posted by eaglesandcycling
i know jack **** about saddles, that's why i paid this professional fitter 100s of dollars to help me.
Dude, I went through 6 saddles until I found one that worked for me and it took me about 9 months....but if you are ready to give up....then, you are ready to give up. I recently changed from saddles brand models that I have been riding for years to a new one, as the other model was not working for me on longer rides. Discovered I needed a narrower saddle now and once I made the change, life improved dramatically.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 08-07-21 at 08:09 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 08-08-21, 01:36 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Post #2 had it exactly right. Now allow me ...what I haven't seen anyone mention before is: o.p. is 40+ and cycling (only) 2 years. Not unheard of these days but, unfortunately, a situation ripe for all kinds of abuse of taints, glutes, knees, and other parts of the human anatomy from sheer inexperience. They call it a saddle, not a seat for a very good reason: you don't SIT on it, you ... sort of sit on it ... what do you want to bet the o.p. is SITTING on it? It also takes more time, I think, to toughen up the tender tissues of the taint than the o.p. has allowed, in order to do 5 hour sorties into and out of enemy territory. Jesus wept, I think I had been riding a DECADE before I graduated to those kinds of missions. Yeah, unless I way miss my guess, the o.p. only lacks seat time and miles (many more miles) to sort **** out. FWIW.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 08-08-21, 01:57 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I don't believe anyone has mentioned one big thing that could be the cause.

Assuming your saddle is not too narrow, an improper tilt with the nose too high can cause that pain. It's not really something a bike fitter can get right because you won't know until you put some miles on the bike. Even if your saddle looks perfectly level the nose could still be too high, not all are the same. You want the nose tilted down as far as possible without feeling like you're sliding down the front and have to put too much pressure on your hands. You have to find that perfect tilt balance. Go on a ride with the proper allen wrench, make a very tiny adjustment, ride a couple of miles, pull over and adjust again and keep doing it until it's good. Even a minuscule one degree change can make a huge difference. I personally can be comfortable on virtually any saddle.

Do that before you start blindly blowing money on new saddle like most people do. A new saddle is a roll of the dice and you have no clue if it will be good until you pay the cash for it. And saddle reviews by other people are worthless because not all butts are the same, it's like asking what the best tasting food is, and many people don't even know how to adjust them right.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 08-08-21, 04:21 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
No, perineum pain is generally caused by too great of reach, or a seat that is too high. Many "professional" fitters place the seat too high because they reply on numbers and rules, instead of watching how the person interfaces with the bike. Most people do not have the flexibility, or the need to have a bike fit that mimics the pros. Without the flexibility, the rules will often place the seat too high, causing pain, and worse, damage, to the hips, spine, and perineum.

I see it often, and there is no excuse for it.
Sure, lots of bikes are set up way too aggressive for the average cyclist. Too much reach, too low bars, too little padding, too high gearing, etc And when ppl complain tiny little changes are recommended when in reality often much more dramatic changes are needed. Like, get a 7cm stem, get a compact bar that is shallow and has short reach, Flip the stem to get the bar up around seat height, try a padded seat. Etc.
Old 08-08-21, 10:47 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
When it comes to saddle tilt, a two bolt micro adjust seat post can help a lot if you end up in between two notches.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-08-21, 11:20 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Sure, lots of bikes are set up way too aggressive for the average cyclist. Too much reach, too low bars, too little padding, too high gearing, etc And when ppl complain tiny little changes are recommended when in reality often much more dramatic changes are needed. Like, get a 7cm stem, get a compact bar that is shallow and has short reach, Flip the stem to get the bar up around seat height, try a padded seat. Etc.
Padding shouldn't be a crutch relied on. Should be icing on the cake, not the basic ingredient. People ride for hours and hours on end in trisuits, and have you seen the padding on those? A milimeter or two.

Saddle height, width/shape and tilt (especially if the front end is slammed, it helps to angle it slightly down) would be the prime culprits for the problems the OP has.

Case in point, I have a perfectly comfortable road bike - aero bike, slammed down, pretty racy geometry, 23mm tires, the works - but it's comfortable - I can do a 200K in a trisuit and I'm fine, I've done a 300K on it and only the legs felt a bit cooked. Yet, raising the saddle by about 8mm gives me groin pressure and discomfort after just 30 minutes of riding hard while seated.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 08-08-21, 11:58 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
When it comes to saddle tilt, a two bolt micro adjust seat post can help a lot if you end up in between two notches.

John
That's what I did... I brought an allen key with me on a ride and made some adjustments on my saddle and handlebars myself while out on an actual ride. No need to spend $ 400 dollars just to make some small adjustments.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-08-21, 12:16 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
Padding shouldn't be a crutch relied on. Should be icing on the cake, not the basic ingredient.
I’ve been bringing this up for years on the internet and everyone scoffs so I stopped.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 08-08-21, 04:42 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
Yet, raising the saddle by about 8mm gives me groin pressure and discomfort after just 30 minutes of riding hard while seated.
I think saddle height is quite critical for endurance riding. I drop my saddle about 5 mm from what would be my normal conservative fitted height. I lose very little performance (if any), but I find it much more forgiving on a 5+ hour ride. As you say it takes pressure off my groin area and prevents any tendency to rock my hips.
I've heard that pros typically drop their saddle height up to 10 mm during long stage races when they are getting knackered! It makes sense to me. As fatigue sets in and your muscles tighten your leg reach effectively shortens.

So a lower saddle height would definitely be something to try. Discuss it with the fitter and make sure he knows you are looking for an endurance fit.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-08-21, 08:29 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
What’s a taint?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-09-21, 02:58 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
.......................... chamois cream isnt gonna help, this is an internal issue, not the exterior of my taint.
INTERNAL >>> so are you referring to testicle pain, penis pain, perineal area pain, anal pain ??? so finding out the painful location to address the issue would be helpful.
Old 08-09-21, 03:00 AM
eaglesandcycling

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
INTERNAL >>> so are you referring to testicle pain, penis pain, perineal area pain, anal pain ??? so finding out the painful location to address the issue would be helpful.
perineal area slight 'pain' but more discomfort.. issues peeing after rides (feeling like i cant pee)
Old 08-09-21, 09:20 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
They call it a saddle, not a seat for a very good reason: .
Why don't they call it a saddle stay, a saddle tube or a saddle post?
Old 08-09-21, 09:22 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Does your current saddle have a large relief channel?
Old 08-09-21, 09:29 AM
eaglesandcycling

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Does your current saddle have a large relief channel?
Yes
Old 08-09-21, 09:52 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Still no suggestions for the real answer for you. Move over to a recumbent bike or trike.

Standing by for all the hate mail.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 08-09-21, 10:08 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
nose less saddle
Old 08-09-21, 10:17 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Update 9Aug..Let me just clarify this is an internal discomfort feeling in the perineal area only (taint/gooch). I even have issues sometimes peeing after rides. It's like the pressure from rides must be on my perineal and affecting those tubes internally. Called the fitter today and going back, so hopefully he can resolve this...
Good luck with the fitter. He really needs to understand the comfort aspect vs the performance aspect.

I know from my own experience that there is a balancing act between saddle setup and handlebar setup when it comes to reach/stretch and height.

Also too much short/bib padding can be the kiss of death on longer rides.

John
Old 08-09-21, 10:28 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 693 Posts
Post #2 had it!
There are 1000&1 ways people (including me) have helped or resolved their saddle issues.
You could filter through, trying them for hours.

An experienced friend, coach, or your existing bike fitter may be able to assist.
Even if it's only by bringing your attention to technologies that exist in the market place.

Examples....
Fabric makes the same saddle in various levels of flatness.
Saddles with no nose do exist.
BiSaddle offers a modular and adjustable saddle (I've not tried one)

Temptation is to assume, it's just a bike seat how tough can this be.
Answer, pretty tough on some sensitive areas!

Get some local (I wanted to say "hands on" but that would go bad quickly) assistance and maybe you can shortcut the time to find your solution.

All the best

Barry
Old 08-09-21, 11:12 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
perineal area slight 'pain' but more discomfort.. issues peeing after rides (feeling like i cant pee)
Possible BPH (Benign Prostate Hyperplasia -- Age-associated prostate gland enlargement that can cause urination difficulty) or inflammation caused by pressure only following riding. Being a PCa (Prostate Cancer) surviving 71yo bicyclist I would suggest that if issues continue/worsen you might seek medical attention.
Old 08-09-21, 11:25 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
I didn't read every reply. Maybe someone else gave better advice. What you need to do IMHO is to locate and know exactly where your sit bones are. When you can feel these two spots you will know if they are supported properly by your saddle. You might have to change saddles or position to get support on those two spots. When you get good support you won't be sitting on your taint and it won't hurt anymore. As a side note I'm older than you and I do need shorts that support and hold up the rest of my junk out of the way. The older you get the more you sag and need support. Good luck. Don't give up, change up until you learn how to be comfortable.
Old 08-09-21, 11:55 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I'm having trouble understanding the issue, maybe a couple more childish euphemisms for the region would help?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-09-21, 11:57 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Depending on the type of riding you want to do - ie touring/recreational vs racing, mostly on 'road' (incl. gravel) vs off-road, you might do well to investigate a recumbent. This will 100% immediately remedy your taint issue. There are other issues of saddle comfort with recumbents, but generally none as severe as can be common on upright bikes with narrow saddles.
They are also faster on flat ground than upright bikes, all other things being equal.

As for getting your current bike more compatible with your crotchular region, I have no advice to offer than hasn't been posted above. Maybe try a few more different styles of saddle, including a 'noseless' type, although I don't think too highly of those personally. I have been doing pretty high mileage recently, but my crotch discomforts these days are generally all skin-based and do not effect the tissue underneath the skin. I do occasionally, immediately after biking a long distance, get a pee where it is slightly painful to get started. I only mention this because I was using a different saddle a couple years ago where the after-ride pee was significantly more painful, and changing the saddle eliminated it, or at least made it a rare event.

Best of luck!
Old 08-09-21, 11:59 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Guaranteed your seat is too high, for you. Don't play around. You will do permanent damage if you leave it like this. Drop your seat height 5 to 10 mm. Go to Steve Hogg's site and read his articles on setting seat height.
Likes For phughes:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.