Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone gone back to school?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-21-21, 07:31 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5393 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 230 Posts

I'm in the process of retiring. My interests included gardening, and fishing, mushroom hunting, generally rooting around out in the woods. I signed up for a botany class at the local junior college. If you're over 65 in Illinois you get free tuition. I'm just wondering if anyone else has taken a class and if so, how did it go. I hope this is the right place to post this. Thanks.
Old 08-21-21, 08:20 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
I've taken a few free Harvard online courses. Yes, that Harvard. And self-pace. https://online-learning.harvard.edu/catalog/free
Likes For mpath:
Old 08-21-21, 10:26 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
With an encore career in academia, I go "back to school" every September, although I usually teach summer school, as well. I teach upper division and graduate students, as well as my favorites, working professionals going back to earn advanced degrees or certificates.

I also promote and engage in lifelong learning, myself. Keep Hercule Poirot's "little gray cells" active!
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-21-21, 01:26 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 120 Posts
I was going to go to seminary and do 2 years of formation to be a priest as I am a widowed permanent deacon. Well then I got thinking about more and it would sort of take away my freedoms so decided not to do it. If I could just go back locally and live a home it would probably have worked. I wish I could be nothing local.
Likes For deacon mark:
Old 08-21-21, 03:28 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
I had to spend a few years in an unfortunate NC backwater. Most semesters I would take a night class so that my wife and I could use the aquatic center (pool.) I enjoyed it, took whatever was available at a suitable time. School is much easier now than it was BITD if you are concerned about that.
Old 08-21-21, 05:09 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5393 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I had to spend a few years in an unfortunate NC backwater. Most semesters I would take a night class so that my wife and I could use the aquatic center (pool.) I enjoyed it, took whatever was available at a suitable time. School is much easier now than it was BITD if you are concerned about that.
I first went to school in the 70's. Don't remember much of that. Went back in 90 and got an MS. I was surprised how easy it was when I went back. Just wondering what it will be like to be a geezer in a school desk.
Old 08-21-21, 11:15 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Since you love the outdoors, consider:
Volunteering USFS or a State or Regional equivalent. Trails Associations need volunteers. Mountain Bike Associations often have a commitment to maintaining infrastructure. Or hike more.

imho,… beats birdwatching or cornholing if you can Just Do It. At least the people will be more active and interesting.

Or cycle more. Take a lunch and a smell th roses, or go somewhere new.

I’m an experiential learner these days. But I pursued 3 business related certifications after a Masters, so maybe a bit of classroom burnout.

Last edited by Wildwood; 08-21-21 at 11:20 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 08-22-21, 05:53 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Yep, I have spent entirely too much time in classrooms along the way. In tech certs are necessary as technology evolves new certifications are needed. Most of it is online, thankfully! Was an elementary teacher at an earlier time and also have an advanced degree in business. When I quit working for good, I will play most of the time, do chores when needed, and relight the passion for b&w photography.
Old 08-22-21, 04:26 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Ten years before I retired, started an RN-to-BSN program which I finished when I was 60. Three years, one class at a time, one day a week, most of the classes at hospital I worked at but did attend a few at the local college. Classmates were all system nurses with either diploma or associate degrees like me. Hospital system paid for everything except books. Very interesting for an older fella who had flunked out of college at age 20. Had not taken a traditional in-person college level class since then. Had never heard of APA Style rules for writing but was able to come to grips with that. Not feeling the urge to take any classes at this point in time.

Last edited by JanMM; 08-24-21 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-23-21, 06:40 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 492 Times in 153 Posts
My wife and I belong to the academy for lifelong learning here in Colorado. They have several thousand senior members with a whole variety of courses taught by qualified people, who volunteer. From movies to science to music to philosophy. I'm going to add a new dimension this year as I am teaching a course called "all you never wanted to know about bicycling"
It is aimed at the non-bicyclist or the very beginner, and we'll cover a vast array of topics from bicycle frames to nutrition to types of bicycles to cultural bicycling to bicycle advocacy to accessories, electronics, safety, maintenance and much more. It is not designed to teach anyone how to ride, and we will have three guest speakers. I have prepared over 50 PowerPoints, each one having a video further explaining what I am talking about and giving different viewpoints. It's been fun doing this preparation and the course will be taught in March and April of 2022

Last edited by gobicycling; 08-23-21 at 06:44 PM.
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 08-23-21, 07:07 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I haven't, but my Dad had that option in New Orleans. He took classes on A/C repair and body repair. Turned that into a post-retirement glorified hobby/small biz.

scott s.
Old 08-23-21, 07:34 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
I haven't, but my Dad had that option in New Orleans. He took classes on A/C repair and body repair. Turned that into a post-retirement glorified hobby/small biz.

scott s.
I knew I guy who did something similar. He retired from a mechanical engineering job and opened his own automotive repair shop, which grew by word of mouth into a rather successful enterprise.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-23-21, 08:55 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
I’ve been a graphic designer for my whole career but I have no passion for it. So at 50 I enrolled in a residential electrical class because I wanted to get into construction. Anyhow COVID derailed it for a bit but we resumed last fall and I’m 6 months away from completing the residential and commercial program. I really have enjoyed the classes, more than I ever expected and look forward to spending less time glued to a computer monitor. And if nothing else it’s good to keep the mind active.
Old 08-25-21, 09:32 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 2,601 Times in 930 Posts
If you mean seriously, no. OTOH I've been taking classes at the community colleges off and on since the late 80s. Many work related, mostly IT, which I enjoy. But also hiking, camping, art, etc, just for fun.

The advantage of taking an in-person class is meeting new people, learning how they do.. stuff and figuring out how to do something. The advantage of online classes is setting your own schedule and working at your own pace.
Old 08-25-21, 09:45 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I have 'audited' a class in order to see/hear what I was hearing from my son about a specific teacher. Prior to COVID you could do such things.
Not to get political about it here, but be prepared for the wildly Liberal slant to what they teach and present.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 08-27-21, 06:40 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I've taken the odd class or two at the local CC. That's actually most of their business, offering continuing ed classes to adults. When you're taking a class on something you're truly interested in rather than something you have to take to meet a curriculum, you tend to take the class more seriously and learn more.
Old 08-28-21, 05:58 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I've taken acting & bartending classes. they were fun. you get challenged & you meet ppl. who knows you might get lucky too wink wink
Old 08-28-21, 10:22 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked 1,421 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by LibertyFLS
I’ve been a graphic designer for my whole career but I have no passion for it. So at 50 I enrolled in a residential electrical class because I wanted to get into construction. Anyhow COVID derailed it for a bit but we resumed last fall and I’m 6 months away from completing the residential and commercial program. I really have enjoyed the classes, more than I ever expected and look forward to spending less time glued to a computer monitor. And if nothing else it’s good to keep the mind active.
Somewhat similar to what I'm doing. I worked for a neighbor (electrical contractor) back in my college days during the peak summer building periods, but ended up getting a college degree. After buying an old house and doing the electrical repairs on it I got re-interested in electrical. I went back to the local CC and signed up for the construction program's electrical certificate to get familiar with panels and larger circuits in prep for the contractor's license exam (passed it! ) . Currently doing small repair jobs for folks on the weekends, but will be retiring from my full-time job in a year and want to keep doing electrical on a part-time basis to make a few extra $$$.
Likes For skidder:
Old 08-28-21, 10:28 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
Not to get political about it here, but be prepared for the wildly Liberal slant to what they teach and present.
If you truly don't want to get political, why don't you just delete this silliness?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-28-21, 01:36 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 492 Times in 153 Posts
I have 'audited' a class in order to see/hear what I was hearing from my son about a specific teacher. Prior to COVID you could do such things.
Well you did get political about it. This post doesn't belong here.
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 08-28-21, 04:49 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
Somewhat similar to what I'm doing. I worked for a neighbor (electrical contractor) back in my college days during the peak summer building periods, but ended up getting a college degree. After buying an old house and doing the electrical repairs on it I got re-interested in electrical. I went back to the local CC and signed up for the construction program's electrical certificate to get familiar with panels and larger circuits in prep for the contractor's license exam (passed it! ) . Currently doing small repair jobs for folks on the weekends, but will be retiring from my full-time job in a year and want to keep doing electrical on a part-time basis to make a few extra $$$.
heck yeah that’s awesome!!
Old 08-28-21, 05:58 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I’d love to take Spanish classes. Espaniol es muy importante en mi trabejo.

Old 08-29-21, 08:37 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
If you truly don't want to get political, why don't you just delete this silliness?
Originally Posted by gobicycling
Well you did get political about it. This post doesn't belong here.

Well, it's impossible to mention that aspect without mentioning that aspect. I think anyone whom has been to University 'recently' could easily relate to the fact of it. OP asked and it's a part of the telling.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 08-29-21, 08:59 AM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
!

Well, it's impossible to mention that aspect without mentioning that aspect. I think anyone whom has been to University 'recently' could easily relate to the fact of it. OP asked and it's a part of the telling.
It’s part of the “History” of the thread…it can’t be erased…like it was never there…real time, life observation…thoughts have been provoked…a thread participant’s contribution…the contributor is probably not the only person who has had this or a similar experience…there is empirical evidence to support this statement…it is a conversation that needs to be had…respected from all directions…people need to know what to expect…
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 08-29-21, 09:03 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by billnuke1
It’s part of the “History” of the thread…it can’t be erased…like it was never there…real time, life observation…thoughts have been provoked…a thread participant’s contribution…the contributor is probably not the only person who has had this or a similar experience…there is empirical evidence to support this statement…it is a conversation that needs to be had…respected from all directions…people need to know what to expect…

In this case it was a 'cultural' class that he needed for his Psychology degree. He came home with some seriously outrageous stories about things said by this professor specifically in reference to color and what certain ones could and could not infer by saying certain things. I was absolutely thinking he was making it up just for it's impact (to us), but it was true. The rabbit hole went even deeper.
As an individual auditing you have no say and are asked NOT to participate. I just listened in for a few sessions, scratched my head with a "huh!" and went on about it.
Likes For Juan Foote:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.