Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Overcoming saddle soreness due to slower cadence

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-21, 09:10 PM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

At my past cadence of 90I I would rarely get saddle sorness due to the fast cadence keeping my backside of the saddle. But as I've aged my cadence has dropped below 80 and now I find myself getting sore. Unfortunately upping my cadence isn't an option.

Any suggestions beyond "get a saddle that fits better" (I've tried many)?
Old 09-06-21, 12:09 PM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 45 Posts
There are probably other things that have changed.
I find I have better rides if I get out of the saddle every now and then. I have NO hills around here, so I have to force the issue.
Old 09-06-21, 12:18 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Are you using cycling shorts or cycling underwear with a chamois? If you are, are they old and maybe the chamois is too worn to be effective? If you aren't, may try cycling shorts or cycling underwear with a chamois.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 09-06-21, 12:28 PM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 45 Posts
We all change. In my younger years, I'd wear the oldest, most beat up pair of shorts (then bibs), no chamois creme, nothing. Heck, would even ride a couple of days or more before washing, as I had only one pair. Never a problem, even on 100 mile rides. Now? Chamois creme all the time, wash bibs after every ride (rotate pairs), even on 20 mile rides.
Old 09-06-21, 01:07 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I’ve taken to wearing two pairs of cycling shorts in warm weather. I wear cycling shorts under soccer warmup pants in the winter. The extra padding seems to help me. YMMV.

Otto
Old 09-06-21, 01:11 PM
rwh 

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
I stopped drinking water while riding and stop every 5-7 miles for a hydration/butt break. Sure I'm not as fast as I used to be and stopping for breaks makes me even slower, but who am I trying to impress? If you have actual saddle sores then my dermatologist recommends ordinary petroleum jelly applied to the affected area.
Old 09-06-21, 02:32 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Probably a drop in your power too and you are simply sitting heavier in the saddle. Therefore you have a saddle sore.

You either need to sit lighter in the saddle by putting out more power or play the saddle swap game some more.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-06-21, 03:10 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Probably a drop in your power too and you are simply sitting heavier in the saddle. Therefore you have a saddle sore.

You either need to sit lighter in the saddle by putting out more power or play the saddle swap game some more.
This is my thought.

When you lower your cadence you need to increase your power or you will be spending more time resting on your buttocks and less supported by your legs. I ride a fairly slow cadence (I seem to have slowed even more after heart issues, but it is hard to tell) and I do have to stand more often just to get a break and restore a little blood flow, and I ma much more careful in my choice and positioning of saddles.

If I were you I might look at my entire riding position. Particularly look at leg extension, because I find it easier to spin with a slightly shorter motion but I need more height to get more extension and engage more of my thigh to hold me up at a slower cadence.

I just broke out the old Raleigh yesterday, and had some left knee issues----nothing bad, just soreness afterwards (my left knee is always a little sensitive due to other events.) Today before my ride I shifted the saddle forward the slightest amount and had zero pain after the ride. I used to have to adjust my bikes a tiny bit if I had a very slow winter, or some surgery or injury .... now it seems I might have to micro adjust seasonally as I age more.
Old 09-06-21, 03:11 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Or .... I could be entirely wrong and all my advice could cripple you. You probably should keep that in mind.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-06-21, 05:53 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
80rpm creates saddle sores?
That doesn't seem accurate.
Old 09-06-21, 07:05 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
I have always been a grinder versus a spinner. I am very comfortable with a 80 to 85 cadence and have not had issues. I do use a chamois creme each and every time like others have said, I stand up and move around. I don't have hills to climb, so stretching the legs and and getting out of the saddle is important. I also retire my cycling shorts once I start to feel like I have to get out of the saddle more and more.

Old 09-09-21, 07:58 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
I don't know about you, but aging has caused me to prefer a more upright riding position, making my previous favorite saddle not a good match anymore.

To quote Grandma (who probably got it from someone else), "Getting old is the pits".
Old 09-09-21, 09:22 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 435 Posts
saddle sores, soreness
no correlation to cadence... look elsewhere...

butt soreness? from a saddle which hasn't made you sore before - check you position
butt soreness after longer rides? maybe you need new/more shorts - always good to have multiple pairs of shorts, to rotate and have different weights for different conditions...
butt soreness because you're only riding once or twice a week - inevitable...

saddle sores, boils, ingrown hair? better hygiene! clean shorts more often, wash yourself better and apply a small amount of antibiotic cream in the nether-regions... not needed every day, just lightly every 3 - 4 days...
no more sores, ingrown hair infections or boils...
Thx
Yuri
EDIT: Creams, some do ok with them, but they're lucky... Anything which can clog the pores could increase the risk of infections.
Petroleum Jelly, the worst crap ever! Add some Fluoride and you won't get cavities...You might as well use Campy grease, its a better lubricant and much easier to cleanup...
BMI over 30? Drop a bunch of weight and you'll definitely be less sore...

Last edited by cyclezen; 09-09-21 at 09:33 PM.