Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Broke 4 spokes on drive side rear tire….

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-21, 07:55 PM
Fullcount
Interested Backpacker

Bikes: 88 Peugot US Express, 2019 Bachetta Bella, 2023 Catrike Dumont, 2001 Trek 520 Slate Pearl, MayaCycle Trailer, 2104 Trek Domane, Sun EZ Sport Recumbent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

…each one in the center of spoke. Why is this happening?

The bike is a Sun EZ Sport AX and most of my weight is over the rear tire. Wheel has 36 spokes. Granted, I am 220 lbs, but figured that would not cause spoke to break in center, but rather at the nipple with flex. I am running tires at 90 psi. 26 x 1.75” tire.

Help.
Old 09-13-21, 08:48 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Did anything knock the rear derailleur into the spokes? It sounds like something must have hit and scratched the spokes for them to break in that location.
Old 09-13-21, 09:02 PM
Fullcount
Interested Backpacker

Bikes: 88 Peugot US Express, 2019 Bachetta Bella, 2023 Catrike Dumont, 2001 Trek 520 Slate Pearl, MayaCycle Trailer, 2104 Trek Domane, Sun EZ Sport Recumbent

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All four spokes have broken individually over time in the last year. All four have been on the drive side. This was a used bike purchase for me and I really do not know age of bike.

I love the way this bike rides compared to my DF bikes. If I can get this recumbent dependable, like to try a couple of Rando rides. Is it possible that all spokes are approaching fatigued state and need to be replaced? Do LWB rear tires stress more easily than a short wheel base?
Old 09-13-21, 09:14 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
It is more common for spokes to fail in the center, though generally failures are more common on the nondrive side. When they have enough radial load the spokes will detension and flex in the center. If you have that many spoke failures it's likely that the rest are all fatigued. A recumbent can be harder on spokes because it's harder to unweight the bike like you can on an upright bike and tends to have even more of a rear weight bias. Still, a 36 spoke wheel on a 26" rim should be more than plenty strong for your application. Get a good wheelbuilder to rebuild your wheel with double butted spokes.
Old 09-13-21, 09:19 PM
MyRedTrek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Fullcount
All four spokes have broken individually over time in the last year. All four have been on the drive side. This was a used bike purchase for me and I really do not know age of bike.
Some trauma that occurred to the spokes before you got the bike?
Old 09-13-21, 11:07 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 227 Posts
If your spokes are not correctly tensioned, they can fatigue more quickly. Straight gauge spokes? I had the same issue on a factory rear wheel. I built a new wheel with butted spokes, have not broken any spokes since. A wheel can look true but have poor tensioning.
Old 09-14-21, 12:00 AM
Mosquitolt

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spokes are very prone to rust. Even a small amount of winter/salty riding will reduce their lifespan significantly. Also check if they are tension correctly and equally.
Old 09-14-21, 04:34 AM
Fullcount
Interested Backpacker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MyRedTrek
Some trauma that occurred to the spokes before you got the bike?
Not sure, but possible. I cannot see anything apparent.
Old 09-14-21, 05:04 AM
Fullcount
Interested Backpacker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cpach
It is more common for spokes to fail in the center, though generally failures are more common on the nondrive side. When they have enough radial load the spokes will detension and flex in the center. If you have that many spoke failures it's likely that the rest are all fatigued. A recumbent can be harder on spokes because it's harder to unweight the bike like you can on an upright bike and tends to have even more of a rear weight bias. Still, a 36 spoke wheel on a 26" rim should be more than plenty strong for your application. Get a good wheelbuilder to rebuild your wheel with double butted spokes.
I think your advice is sound. Time to get the wheel reworked and put the correct tension on the spokes and upgrade all spokes to a sturdier material. When I went to look up what a double butted spoke was, I found the following comment on www.wheelbuilder.com ; Tire pressure: Increased tire pressure has the effect of causing lower spoke tension, which increases fatigue sensitivity.

I think this may have contributed to the last two breaks. I ran the pressure up from my normal 80 psi to 90 psi, thinking this would help...., but it was actually counter productive. From what I have read, thinking that 36 spokes is a good number and that is what is on my touring bike (Trek 520). I am thinking I just need new spokes as the ones on the rim may just have gotten old and fatigued. Thanks for all your help.
Old 09-14-21, 07:22 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Having four spokes break suggests this will continue to be a problem. At 220#, you may better be served by a hand built and tensioned wheel. If the rim and hub are in decent condition, those may be re-used to save some $$$.
Old 09-14-21, 07:58 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I've broken a number of spokes over the years. Probably 80% were at the head, with the remaining 20% just above the nipple. (Then I bought a tensiometer, and later started to run out of broken spokes for various "tools".)

Then a couple years ago a misaligned or misadjusted derailer went into a wheel. A few weeks later, I started breaking spokes in the middle where the chain had scratched them. All head-in, so the spokes were on the outside of the rim.

If you want to keep your wheel, try the Brandt stress relief method. First make sure the wheel is trued and tensioned. Then put on some heavy leather work gloves, grab each pair of near-parallel spokes, and squeeze the tar out of them. You want to squeeze hard enough that any flawed spoke breaks right then. Get back out on the road and ride some more.

If you buy a new wheel, make sure the person who last touches it knows what they're doing. Many people don't.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 09-14-21, 08:39 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Fullcount
I think your advice is sound. Time to get the wheel reworked and put the correct tension on the spokes and upgrade all spokes to a sturdier material. When I went to look up what a double butted spoke was, I found the following comment on www.wheelbuilder.com ; Tire pressure: Increased tire pressure has the effect of causing lower spoke tension, which increases fatigue sensitivity.

I think this may have contributed to the last two breaks. I ran the pressure up from my normal 80 psi to 90 psi, thinking this would help...., but it was actually counter productive. From what I have read, thinking that 36 spokes is a good number and that is what is on my touring bike (Trek 520). I am thinking I just need new spokes as the ones on the rim may just have gotten old and fatigued. Thanks for all your help.
What they say is broadly true, but I highly doubt adding 10 psi to your tire did anything to cause those last two failures. Low spoke tension usually causes breakage on the left side, not the right side.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-14-21, 09:24 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
It is more common for spokes to fail in the center, though generally failures are more common on the nondrive side. When they have enough radial load the spokes will detension and flex in the center.
I disagree. Midspoke failures are very rare. I’ve broken hundreds of spokes and seen hundreds of broken spokes at my local co-op over 10 years of volunteering. The vast majority of spoke breakage is at the elbow and on the drive side in my experience. Seldom do I see spokes broken midshaft and those have experienced some kind of damage. I’ve seen a fair number of broken spokes just below the elbow but those are all caused by over shifting into the spokes.

Additionally, when spokes detension and retension during rotation, the part that flexes isn’t mid-shaft. It flexes at the elbow as most spokes have a sloppy fit in the hub. As the rim deforms upward, the tension on the spoke is released and the elbow moves upward. As tension is placed back on the spoke the elbow moves back down. It’s like bending a paper clip over and over again. The thinner center section of butted spokes probably allows for a slightly slower retensioning over a straight spoke resulting on a slower tug on the head.

If you have that many spoke failures it's likely that the rest are all fatigued.
With that I agree.

A recumbent can be harder on spokes because it's harder to unweight the bike like you can on an upright bike and tends to have even more of a rear weight bias. Still, a 36 spoke wheel on a 26" rim should be more than plenty strong for your application. Get a good wheelbuilder to rebuild your wheel with double butted spokes.
Although I partly agree that it’s harder to unweighted the rear wheel, I don’t see that as the major problem with this kind of recumbent. I see the problem more due to sidewards flex of the wheel. For any bike, the act of pedaling causes the rim to flex from side-to-side. This bike has a much higher rear wheel bias than most diamond bikes so the sideways stress is higher. It’s more like a touring bike that is carrying a heavy rear load than a race bike, for example. That puts a lot more stress on the spokes.

36 spokes is better than 32 for this applications but either many more spokes are needed or stronger spokes are needed. Rather than double butted spokes, I’d suggest triple butted ones like DT Alpine III 2.3/1.8/2.0mm spokes. They stronger than double butted and significantly stronger than single butted. Using them is like adding 4 (my estimate) to 10 spokes (Ric Hjertberg’s estimate). Here’s Hjertberg’s explanation on why using them is a good idea.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-14-21, 11:50 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
It sounds like something must have hit and scratched the spokes for them to break in that location.
My thoughts too - the spokes had a nick or gouge that started the fatigue. Once you got a crack, fatigue will go to work on it. Fatigue at the elbows or threads is to be expected under normal use given enough cycles, fatigue in the middle of the spoke needs something to get started.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 09-14-21, 09:36 PM
Fullcount
Interested Backpacker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike made the long journey to Williamsburg to see Matt at Contes. He is good and will make my wheel strong again.

As is the case with a lot of bike shops in this age of COVID, it may be a few weeks before I see the bike again. He was going to take a close look at alignment of rear derailleur and replace a few other items on the Tour EZ Sport. Thank you all for your input.
Old 09-15-21, 08:18 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
In my experience, spokes tend to break at the bend, on the drive side. Also, once spokes start breaking, they keep breaking—I'm pretty sure this is because of uneven spoke tension in the wheel. I would not be surprised if all the broken spokes were at 90° to each other.

Loosening and retightening all the spokes to restore even tension would be one way of dealing with this problem (this assumes that the wheel was correctly built in the first place, with inside and outside spokes where they should be). Buying a new wheel might actually be cheaper.
Old 09-19-21, 09:14 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 227 Posts
What, no pie plate comments? I thought for sure there would be a pie plate rant in here by now!
Likes For etherhuffer: