Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Climbing on Zwift

Old 05-12-21, 10:04 PM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by pennpaul
For those on smart trainers where the resistance is more like real life on hills, does it feel more natural?
Originally Posted by base2
Absolutely, more natural.
And how!

I got a Kickr Core a little over a month ago. Climbing on it definitely feels a lot more realistic. It's not exactly the same as the road, but better than the dumb trainer. I use Rouvy and the Cap de Formenter route has a 1 mile climb that ranges 7-10%. Man, that was hard on the Core. It definitely got my heart rate to what I would expect for that gradient versus just spinning away.

Paul
Likes For pennpaul:
Old 05-14-21, 02:24 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
This sounds more like a motivation issue than a training benefit issue to me. Yeah I get that one can feel less enthused about getting to the top of a virtual hill in your home without actually going anywhere... but power being power, the training benefits are generally the same.

Though ideally I also feel that one should do such hill training under the proper resistances. I mean, for example - training to spin up a virtual hill at 90rpm isn't going to be as beneficial if you don't have the gears to do the same thing outdoors.
I don't have a motion platform and I find the fixed position of the bike on my Wahoo Kickr extremely limiting. Riding outdoors its much easier to move around, stand etc. There's a lot of people who just ride trainers and they don't miss the freedom of movement. Power is power, but there's no substitute for the neuromuscular development gained by riding IRL.
Old 05-14-21, 10:57 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
I don't have a motion platform and I find the fixed position of the bike on my Wahoo Kickr extremely limiting. Riding outdoors its much easier to move around, stand etc. There's a lot of people who just ride trainers and they don't miss the freedom of movement. Power is power, but there's no substitute for the neuromuscular development gained by riding IRL.
I think the "freedom of movement" thing might be debatable as mainly a comfort vs training thing, because the training platform that I use (The Sufferfest) tends to emphasize stillness to the upper body and only let the legs do the work during a climbing-focused workout.
Old 05-15-21, 07:23 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,170 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
I think the "freedom of movement" thing might be debatable as mainly a comfort vs training thing, because the training platform that I use (The Sufferfest) tends to emphasize stillness to the upper body and only let the legs do the work during a climbing-focused workout.
Getting out of the saddle simply isn't the same on the trainer as it is on the road. I would expect having the additional range of motion on the trainer would improve the sensation of the road. Regarding training, the freedom of movement should be a training benefit if your aim is to not bounce/sway like a crazed rider. If you are bouncing around you would surely notice that.
Old 05-16-21, 06:19 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
I don't think a fixed trainer really helps your form. Get smart rollers for that. Ride with good form or scare yourself silly on every ride.

I have my trainer on a rocker plate with fore-aft motion. I like it, but I'm not happy with how the fore-aft reacts when I stand up. Then again, I used to stand up mostly because I was uncomfortable, so that has been fixed. Really hard to do an all-out sprint sitting down though. My max power is 25% less.
Old 05-19-21, 08:43 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Well I booked a trip to Colorado for later this summer and am planning on doing a few days of road riding, with some bigger IRL climbs... so we will see how all this Zwift climbing prepares me for that.

I mentioned earlier in this thread, but I live in a very flat area and the only hills around here are very short, so Zwift is pretty much the only way I can simulate long sustained climbs. It's been many years since I've done actual outdoor road riding on mountain routes with long sustained climbs. I enjoy climbing on Zwift and frequently cover 2500-3000ft of elevation over 1.5-2hr rides, so it will be interesting to see how a similar outdoor profile will compare in terms of effort.
Old 05-20-21, 07:47 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
In Colorado you also have to deal with the altitude. Don't forget you have to eat.