Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Topeak Joe Blow Sport not working

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-21, 02:31 PM
Glenn6870 

Bikes: 2022 Giant Revolt Advanced; 2017 Giant Contend SL2 Disc; 1997 Trek Singletrack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts

I’ve had the Joe Blow Sport floor pump for over three years now. I know how to use it! However, i went to pump the tires before my ride today and it’s not working. Wheel is Presta, and yes, i’m using the Presta side of the pump head. When i secure it to the valve the pump doesn’t push the air in to the tire. The Pump handle has a lot of resistance and won’t go down at all. I’ve had that happen at times in the past and it was because the head wasn’t put on properly, so I took it off reattached and then was ok. Not this time. I’ve checked and the pump is pushing air, just not when attached, it’s like something blocking it. Is there something internally to check to make sure its working?
I thought it might be the tire valve, but the same thing happens on the other tire.
I hope this explanation is good enough, trying to explain the best i can.
I really don’t want to buy a new one if it’s a quick fix, but for the life of me i cannot figure it out.
Old 07-04-21, 03:16 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6955 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Forgive me if this is obvious, and you have already tried it: unscrew the Presta valve, and pop it with your finger a couple of times to make sure air is flowing outward. Then try the pump.
Old 07-04-21, 05:30 PM
Glenn6870 

Bikes: 2022 Giant Revolt Advanced; 2017 Giant Contend SL2 Disc; 1997 Trek Singletrack

Originally Posted by Koyote
Forgive me if this is obvious, and you have already tried it: unscrew the Presta valve, and pop it with your finger a couple of times to make sure air is flowing outward. Then try the pump.
Believe me, I expected some answers like this, because quite frankly if i was you, I’d be asking the same thing! All while muttering under my breath “this idiot doesn’t know how to use a pump!”

But to answer you, yes, i did. I even borrowed a foot pump from my neighbor and pumped up the tire no problem. Problem is definitely not the tire stem.
Old 07-04-21, 06:44 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6955 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Okay, then my next suggestion is that the pump's head is faulty...They do seem to wear out over time. I have the same pump - it's about 18 yrs old - and it has failed twice. The first time, I emailed Topeak and they sent me a new head for free -- it just threads onto the end of the hose. The second time it started to fail, I happened to be in a bike shop that had a spare, so I just bought it.

So, that's what I would try next, if I were you. Send an email to Topeak explaining the problem, and see what they say. And use your neighbor's pump in the meantime.
Old 07-04-21, 07:02 PM
Glenn6870 

Originally Posted by Koyote
Okay, then my next suggestion is that the pump's head is faulty...They do seem to wear out over time. I have the same pump - it's about 18 yrs old - and it has failed twice. The first time, I emailed Topeak and they sent me a new head for free -- it just threads onto the end of the hose. The second time it started to fail, I happened to be in a bike shop that had a spare, so I just bought it.

So, that's what I would try next, if I were you. Send an email to Topeak explaining the problem, and see what they say. And use your neighbor's pump in the meantime.
Thank you! I thought i was going crazy that it wasn’t working, but if you have the same one and the head has failed, twice, i feel a lot better now. I’ll take your advice on contacting Topeak….and hitting up the neighbor for his pump in the meantime.

Thanks!
Old 07-05-21, 05:52 PM
Keefusb
Keefusb

Bikes: 60cm 1992 Paramount, 60cm 1995 Cannondale R900 (son's bike), 1994 Cannondale H300 (mine), 1994 Cannondale H300 Killer V (wife's bike), 60 cm 1989 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra SLX

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
I had an old Joe Blow fail last year. A fitting behind the gauge had cracked. I was able to bypass the gauge, and the pump works but no gauge. I figured after after 25 years I had earned a new one. I still keep the old one as a backup.

The key diagnosis for this problem is air coming out behind the gauge but not making it to the hose.
Old 07-06-21, 07:56 AM
Glenn6870 

Originally Posted by Keefusb
I had an old Joe Blow fail last year. A fitting behind the gauge had cracked. I was able to bypass the gauge, and the pump works but no gauge. I figured after after 25 years I had earned a new one. I still keep the old one as a backup.

The key diagnosis for this problem is air coming out behind the gauge but not making it to the hose.
Thanks. Mine does push air. if i close the valve like i would on a tube valve, air will come out. But once you put it on an actual valve, it won't work. I had a buddy stop over on July 4th and he took a look. He has been riding for years and knows what he is doing and confirmed that the pump definitely not working as it should. So at least I know it's not me doing something wrong. I am just waiting for Topeak Cust Service to open so i can give them a call and see if they have a pump head part to sell. Otherwise, i'll try and pick up a new pump locally in the coming days.
Old 07-06-21, 04:51 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I had the head fail on a JoeBlow a few years back. Otherwise it was a great pump. It was easily fixed with a new head.
Old 07-11-21, 06:42 PM
Glenn6870 

**Update**. I did speak with Topeak the other day. New Pump head is the fix, as was said on this thread, but it is on back order for two months! Knowing that two months could become longer, i just ordered a new pump altogether.
Old 07-11-21, 09:26 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Topeak has a guarantee on their pumps. They have been great for me in the past replacing pump heads that dont work. Since I have only had 2 i consider this a good supported product.

Talk to them about your other problems.

-SP
Old 07-12-21, 01:38 AM
cmon4day

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I too have a Joe Blow and was having problems with the plunger rising when I attached the head to my tire. I was at the Sea Otter Bike Festival a few years back and Top Peak had a booth. So I talked to a guy who knew the exact problem, took down my info, and a couple of weeks later the replacement part arrived. I’m still using the pump.

Reputable Company.