Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

cyclist injured in Show Low bike race dies

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 07-13-21, 09:44 PM
Aroyobob

Bikes: Trek 460, Trek 1420, Schwin High Sierra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Since the other thread is locked. A 58-year-old man died of his injuries July 10, Arizona Department of Public Safety spokesman Bart Graves said. No other information about the victim was immediately released.
https://www.nhonews.com/news/2021/ju...ike-race-dies/

Update on one of the riders as of June 23
https://kvoa.com/news/2021/06/23/tuc...show-low-race/
Old 07-14-21, 08:32 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
So what does this have to do with Cycling Advocacy and Safety?

Why does this sub-forum continue to be an Obituary page where I guess we are supposed to show our compassion. Or it's simply an I hate Cars and motor vehicles.

Maybe I'm getting your intentions wrong, but you simply post links that I am not going to go to.

If you want me to look at your links you need to provide some discussion of your viewpoints on what ever it is you think will better our Safety and Advocacy for cycling to cause me to want to view your links.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-14-21, 10:19 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
So what does this have to do with Cycling Advocacy and Safety?

Why does this sub-forum continue to be an Obituary page where I guess we are supposed to show our compassion. Or it's simply an I hate Cars and motor vehicles.
So what does posting Obituary notices without relevant comments have to do with Cycling Advocacy and Safety? - Nothing!

It is not that simple, this sub-forum continues to be an outlet for zealots who hate (or at least resent) the people who own or use Cars and motor vehicles for any purpose that the zealots do not approve.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 07-14-21 at 10:22 AM.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 07-14-21, 10:40 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
So far I haven't read the story from the pickup driver, drug tests, time on road, phone use, etc.

Some of the reports seem to describe what appeared to be intent, but that is from the victim's perspective.

He did leave the scene from what is now a fatal accident.
Old 07-14-21, 01:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
So far I haven't read the story from the pickup driver, drug tests, time on road, phone use, etc.

Some of the reports seem to describe what appeared to be intent, but that is from the victim's perspective.

He did leave the scene from what is now a fatal accident.

And how does knowing any of that inform a discussion of safety and advocacy? This is a crime story, not a bike story. The victims just happened to be on bikes.
Old 07-14-21, 01:40 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by livedarklions
And how does knowing any of that inform a discussion of safety and advocacy? This is a crime story, not a bike story. The victims just happened to be on bikes.
I think there are lessons to be learned for cyclists to ride safer from many accident reports.

This one.. not so much (other than potential race design).

But, I do think this is an important update to a multiple victim accident (incident). I'm personally not against every car.

Isolating the cause of an accident (incident) can help determine potential safety changes. So, even if the cyclists had little escape, knowing if the driver was distracted, drowsy, drugged, stoned, intoxicated, etc... might help drive public policy.

For a race on open public roads, should any group of 20+ riders have a follow and lead car?
Old 07-14-21, 01:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I think there are lessons to be learned for cyclists to ride safer from many accident reports.

This one.. not so much (other than potential race design).

But, I do think this is an important update to a multiple victim accident (incident). I'm personally not against every car.

Isolating the cause of an accident (incident) can help determine potential safety changes. So, even if the cyclists had little escape, knowing if the driver was distracted, drowsy, drugged, stoned, intoxicated, etc... might help drive public policy.

For a race on open public roads, should any group of 20+ riders have a follow and lead car?
There's reasons the NTSB doesn't base its investigations on newspaper reports. I really think these kinds of threads have killed this forum and just started a thread about that.
Old 07-14-21, 02:07 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
... For a race on open public roads, should any group of 20+ riders have a follow and lead car? ...
Please NO! The group rides here in Fargo ND are running well over 20. I have not seen any close calls on those rides for the few years I have been riding in them. This would just add an expense to the rides for no benefit.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 07-14-21, 02:26 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Please NO! The group rides here in Fargo ND are running well over 20. I have not seen any close calls on those rides for the few years I have been riding in them. This would just add an expense to the rides for no benefit.
A 20 person group right is a mighty large group ride.

Above was an organized "race" on either partly open or fully open public roads. It was so damaging because it was a large group of riders who were bunched up that got hit.

That would be different from a club ride, or a century ride that may have riders spread out for hours.
Old 07-14-21, 02:54 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Above was an organized "race" on either partly open or fully open public roads. It was so damaging because it was a large group of riders who were bunched up that got hit.

That would be different from a club ride, or a century ride that may have riders spread out for hours.
No, it was so damaging because a guy intentionally ran them over. If they were spread out, it just would have taken him a little longer.

So was the hypothetical trailing vehicle or the hypothetical leading vehicle supposed to jump in front of the vehicle intentionally being driven into that crowd?

He's charged with aggravated assault, that's a specific intent crime. Literally nothing to do with the question of whether they were racing or on a century. Nothing to do with the facts of the case.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-14-21, 02:56 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Not in my neck of the woods.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-14-21, 03:02 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by livedarklions
No, it was so damaging because a guy intentionally ran them over. If they were spread out, it just would have taken him a little longer.

So was the hypothetical trailing vehicle or the hypothetical leading vehicle supposed to jump in front of the vehicle intentionally being driven into that crowd?

He's charged with aggravated assault, that's a specific intent crime. Literally nothing to do with the question of whether they were racing or on a century. Nothing to do with the facts of the case.
So far I haven't read the guy's story. When this was initially reported, he was in the ICU, and thus not talking much.

Charges don't necessarily mean that will be proven in court.

Filling in some of the data gaps will help understand what actually happened.
Old 07-14-21, 04:45 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
In the years that you have read the Obituary type wailing and gnashing of teeth threads on A&S how many times have the usual posters ever posted anything that helped you understand what actually happened, or even more importantly, anything that you didn't already know about riding safely?
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 07-14-21, 06:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

So far I haven't read the guy's story. When this was initially reported, he was in the ICU, and thus not talking much.

Charges don't necessarily mean that will be proven in court.

And as usual, everyone will pick at nits in some news story or another to fabricate their own version of data gap fills to fit with their own pet theory.

​​​​​​None of these threads are useful to understanding anything.