Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike Saddle

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bike Saddle

Old 09-13-21, 11:45 PM
Singlespeed420
Why are you reading this

Bikes: 2020 Giant Contend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bike Saddle

I have my Giant Contend that came with the stock saddle. It is hard as rocks. Does anyone have a good reccomendation for more comfortable saddle?
Old 09-13-21, 11:59 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
There is no reason to listen to any one person's suggestion as everyone likes something different.
What someone feels is divine, I may view as an ass-hatchet.
This is why saddles have so many different widths, curves, cutouts, etc.

Call up some shops and find one that has a loaner program. Try some saddles for extended rides and buy one.

...but since you asked- brooks c17.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-14-21, 12:03 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
The best advice I can give anyone regarding saddles is to simply go in and have your sit bones measured or do it at home. Then you can use those measurements to find the right support for your body.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 09-14-21, 03:58 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Ditto the above advice (especially about trying out loaner saddles) and I'd add: don't automatically equate "hard as rocks" with uncomfortable. Like mattresses, I've found over the years that well padded/soft saddles are way less comfortable for me. Now, I carry plenty of padding on my rear end and do a lot of longer rides that have hardened up whatever it is under my natural padding.- YMMV.
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 09-14-21, 04:52 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
What they said. Plus, the most comfortable saddle I've found FOR ME has been out of production for about 2 decades and I bought all I could find of it.

I don't know how much you've ridden before, but my observation has been that when starting out, or after a long layoff, the sit bones will be tender for the first maybe 2 weeks, so if that's the problem, I'd say ease into riding and reassess after a couple weeks. If something else is the problem - like numb genitalia, or pressure on the perineum, or chafing, try to find a saddle that looks different in that area. For example, I bought a bike last summer that had a saddle that really irritated the back of the top of my thighs. The saddle flares out there. and has almost like an edge. My preferred saddle flares out just a little further back and less acutely, and doesn't bother that area. So, wherever it hurts, find a saddle that's different there.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-14-21, 06:28 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
All good advise above...
I found a link, here Giant Contend Saddle , for what that saddle might be...
If that's it, it does look like the most popular saddle shapes of the current manufacturers...
some considerations:
this saddle is 140mm width , which is close to the mid width of road saddles. Mentioned above was to get you sitzbones width measured - you may need a slightly wider saddle...
saddle width is not a 'body' statement... I know plenty of small, thin guyz who prefer a wider saddle. 155 doesn;t really 'look' that much bigger, usually same 'shape'...
also
additional padding doesn't insure more comfort. in fact many (maybe the majority ???) of road riders will prefer a lightly padded, or no pad saddle - it's the shape that counts...
often too much padding will cause blood vessels in that area to be constantly blocked, and cause numbness and even ongoing pain...
also
if you haven't been a 'regular' rider recently (within the last few months.) by frequent I would say at least 3 rides/week of more than 40-45 min...
your butt WILL go thru a break-in period (LOL !) if you ride 2 or 3 days in a row.... In fact the 3rd and 4th days are PAINFUL for many of us... Takes about 6-7 regular rides to get past this 'phase'... once you do get past it, you may find the saddle to be really comfortable.
maybe your LBS, if you purchased from a Bike shop... has other saddles they're willing to let you try for a short period ???
positioning the saddle on the bike, is one of most important settings, have a good shop guy help you with that...
best of luck
Yuri