Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Getting an extra inch of comfort with a seatpost?

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-21, 07:38 PM
avidindoorsman0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

In the market for a fatbike and I have no budget but one thing I noticed is that any bikes that shows any height suggestion seem to max out at 6’6. I’m 6’7/6’8 and worry that despite being very close to 6’6 that this max is really going to be obvious. Is there anyway I can buy a special seat and/or extended seatpost to make sure the bike works for me?
Old 10-11-21, 08:18 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
A framebuilder could make you a longer seatpost. I know TiCycles in Portland, OR can and does. (They've built me two; not for length but for additional setback.) It wouldn't be cheap but it is quite doable and easy; just with a wait depending on how busy they are.

If going this route, consider surveying the market to see if there is a best diameter so if you decide to change/replace/upgrade your bike, you can simply keep this post for the next bike. (I'd have it made extra long so if my next bike was smaller I could still use it. Also, you want lots of insertion at your height, post . (And I'm projecting here, your weight. I had a 6'8 friend. Only 200 pounds but what he could do to stuff was way beyond 33% more than my 150 pounds.)

I ride the road so I just have my posts made 27.2 mm diameter. If I go to a bigger diameter bike, I'll just shim it. I don't know the fatbikes game. The proprietor of TiCycles probably does. He also has an engineering background. He might take this on as a challenge. PM me if you want to know more. (You need I believe 10 posts to post message so wander this Bike Forums and make yourself at home!)

Oh, and welcome friend to Bike Forums!
Old 10-13-21, 08:01 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Your inseam is more important than your overall height. If it falls within the average than most XL bikes should work for you without having to worry about the seat post. I'd be more concerned about the reach dimension on the geometry which can be adjusted by seat placement and stem length.

Last edited by prj71; 10-13-21 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-13-21, 08:13 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I am a hair under 6'5" and my XL Norco fatbike is barely big enough. The 400mm post (which is already pretty long) is almost maxed out when the seat is at the right height.

The fit of the bike is of utmost importance. When you start having to add nonstandard parts like extra long seatposts and whatnot, that is a sign that your bike is the wrong size, and it will be difficult or impossible to ever get properly comfortable on it.

Keep looking for a bike that fits without modification, probably smothign that a manufacturer call XXL, or save your pennies and look into custom... here's a link to get you inspired...

https://zinncycles.com/product/fat-cat-custom-fat-bike/

I don't know what the price is on these bikes. You could possibly just get a frame then buy a cheaper bike made for freakishly short people (under 6'4") and swap the components and fork over, and sell the small frame
Old 10-21-21, 06:08 AM
5teve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
longer cranks will create a correspondingly shorter seatpost extension. For example, running 180mm cranks will allow you to lower your seat 5mm compared to 175mm cranks and obtain the same leg extension. 400mm is about as long a post as you are going to find so you may want to look for frames that feature an extended seat tube.
Old 10-21-21, 06:10 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by 5teve
longer cranks will create a correspondingly shorter seatpost extension. For example, running 180mm cranks will allow you to lower your seat 5mm compared to 175mm cranks and obtain the same leg extension. 400mm is about as long a post as you are going to find so you may want to look for frames that feature an extended seat tube.
This is not necessarily true. Generally speaking, you may or may not have to adjust your saddle height with different length cranks.
Old 10-21-21, 06:25 AM
5teve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
I believe that it is. If you measure your leg extension as the distance from the top of the saddle to the pedal at it's lowest point a longer crank will naturally extend that distance. Whether it is an optimal choice is up to the individual.
Old 12-24-21, 09:39 AM
Mike_Kelly

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 27 Posts
Two options:
1. Long seatpost made by Gusset at 450mm might help
https://www.ebay.com/itm/37380607413...0AAOSw0aNhoM04

2. Use a dropper post just because they are longer not for the dropper capability. PNW makes posts that are over 500mm long.
https://www.pnwcomponents.com/collec...p-all-droppers
Old 12-24-21, 08:37 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Plenty of dropper posts longer than 400mm.

PNW Loam in 200mm drop is 540mm total length.

Edit: just realized someone already mentioned droppers and PNW.

Last edited by Kapusta; 12-24-21 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-26-21, 08:55 AM
pipeliner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts
If you want to build from frame up, a custom like Waltly would be a good idea for a guy your size. You probably won't find a factory fat bike that is properly sized but the Wyatt Maverik XL comes the closest with a 525mm reach. The Watly Ti custom frame runs around $1200.