Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Multi-tool recommendation?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Multi-tool recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-22, 10:02 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by WT160
I was riding with a friend yesterday when his seat came loose. When we were stopped taking a look at it someone passed us on the trail and asked if we needed help. I asked if he had a hex key, and he said did; it turned out to be a Topeak multi-tool. It fixed things up fine.

Now I want to get a multi-tool of some kind for my bag. Topeak seems fine, but there are many models to choose from. Any recommendations?
Why not just carry the Allen wrenches you need? I carry a 4 and 5 mm, and that's going to deal with everything on my bike that isn't a Torx. Never had a use for all the other stuff on a multi-tool. I filed a notch in my house key to serve as a spoke wrench.
Old 04-22-22, 10:22 AM
Ubie

Bikes: 2019 CO-OP DRT 1.2, 2001 Trek 2200, 2021 Cannondale Topstone 1 Alloy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 47 Posts
I have two old Topeak Hexus II, an Hexus X and a Crankbros m19. It's discontinued but I prefer the Hexus II by far, even though the Hexus X is similar.
Old 04-22-22, 11:03 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I carry the Park IB3. It has flat/Phillips. A chain breaker, all the allen wrench sizes you would need and a tire lever/spoke wrench. Its a bit overkill but plenty compact. I am interested in the Trek multi tool that fits in my on board storage but its just an extravagance that would make that porky bike that much heavier.
Old 04-22-22, 04:40 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Never needed more than this on a ride.

SKS TOM 7
Old 04-23-22, 03:35 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
Fix-it Sticks. Worth every penny and expandable from your toolbox.
I picked up a set at InterBike a few years ago. I added a few extras that fit in the same small package and have been very pleased with them on my road and mountain bikes.
On my commuter bike (Tern Verge S11i) I carry a Tern Tool which works well. I also have a Bare Bones tool, which I like for its simplicity.

My "Fix-It Sticks" tool pack. Nicely compact.

Inside the pack: On the left, a set of tire levers, a tube with extra bits, a Wolf Tooth chain link tool and a Topeak spoke wrench. O the right, the Fix-It Sticks themselves, the chain breaker, and two Topeak box-end wrenches.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 04-24-22, 12:04 PM
RGMN

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
I've changed most of my on-bike/carry-along kits to Lezyne Storage Drive with just the bits I need for that bike.
Old 04-24-22, 12:25 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
I like it but the bit storage is a bit of a pain.
Old 04-28-22, 06:37 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts

Fix it Sticks my way

Contents and bit storage solution
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 05-22-22, 06:31 AM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
Literally just ordered the Fix it sticks MTB. Ironically when I initially saw just the fixit sticks, I wasn’t super excited; However, the more I looked at them the more I liked them and when I saw the MTB kit I was pretty much sold. Seems customizable with other bits my bike may need and should reduce space.

I will see but this may be replacing my Crank Brothers multi tool.
Old 05-22-22, 08:00 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Originally Posted by Bogey Speedwell
Literally just ordered the Fix it sticks MTB. Ironically when I initially saw just the fixit sticks, I wasn’t super excited; However, the more I looked at them the more I liked them and when I saw the MTB kit I was pretty much sold. Seems customizable with other bits my bike may need and should reduce space.

I will see but this may be replacing my Crank Brothers multi tool.
The Crank Brothers is sweet, and I have a similar Chinese knock off that the sticks replaced. Bits wise, I supplemented with an 8mm for pedals and cranks, and a 1/4" shank to put the two sticks together, length wise. While not being able to torque down mightily, I find myself using that Craftsman thumb ratchet a LOT! I am going to search the hardware store for clear tubing to hold the spare bits inline. Makes for an overall slender package

Last edited by Digger Goreman; 05-22-22 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-22-22, 04:04 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Forgot to say, resist the temptation to make a long stick using the 6mm bit. While close, I feel the wiggle room would damage the holder and or bit.
Old 05-22-22, 05:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,957 Times in 2,645 Posts
My new favorite tool kit is a Snap On Mini Ratchet and some PB-Swiss 1/4 bits held with a lovely custom magnetic 3D printed holder from Jesse Reitz of Reitz Industries on the Etsy. I built it for a specific bike and purpose so it has a bunch of Torx Bits T6,T10,T25,T30,T40, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 8, 10 and a JIS/PH #2 (that bit is Wera). I really love using it and highly recommend it though you might want to look at Wera Zyklop mini which is going to be significantly cheaper not better or close to the quality of the Snap-On but a maybe more sensible tool for carrying around. I also picked up a 5mm to 1/4 bit converter from PB Swiss so I could use a 5mm hex key for a bit more length if I needed it and it doesn't take up much space or weight. Currently searching for a good case to carry everything I want in and getting close but not sure the direction I am going to go.

For my normal fold up tool, Crank Bros M10 is going to be my go-to I have used it for years and tried a lot of others and don't really want to trade it out. I don't want shorter tools in order to add a bunch more if I really need those tools I will carry them separately or find a tool that maybe does the odd stuff better.
Old 05-22-22, 06:54 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
I don't like small loose tools for cycling, if a bit falls into tall grass someplace and you may never find it, that's why I have a mini tool, all those tools in that mini tool can't fall out and disappear.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 05-22-22, 06:58 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
I don't like small loose tools for cycling, if a bit falls into tall grass someplace and you may never find it, that's why I have a mini tool, all those tools in that mini tool can't fall out and disappear.
ya I gave up on that too for the most part.
Old 05-22-22, 07:06 PM
Bogey Speedwell

Originally Posted by veganbikes
My new favorite tool kit is a Snap On Mini Ratchet .
this one? I have the 1/4 flex but with the 1/4 anvil and absolutely love it.

I could probably install the bit holder gear, but it may be a bit heavier than I may want to carry for a road side repair
Old 05-22-22, 10:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

this one? I have the 1/4 flex but with the 1/4 anvil and absolutely love it.

I could probably install the bit holder gear, but it may be a bit heavier than I may want to carry for a road side repair
Actually this one:
https://shop.snapon.com/product/Dual...t-Ratchet/TM72

Those if made in a bit ratchet would be a touch small for my taste but for my other bikes it could work since I wouldn't need the leverage so much for a stem bolt or something.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-23-22, 03:30 AM
Bogey Speedwell

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Actually this one:
https://shop.snapon.com/product/Dual...t-Ratchet/TM72

Those if made in a bit ratchet would be a touch small for my taste but for my other bikes it could work since I wouldn't need the leverage so much for a stem bolt or something.
have your franchise warranty out the 1/4 anvil for a 1/4 hex bit adapter
Old 05-23-22, 06:54 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
It's a fair critique, though the Fixits are strongly magnetic. I used to work on military and civilian aircraft, so have acquired a work habit of keeping my tools securely placed during repairs. But things do happen. Fortunately bits are cheaply replaced, though that is cold comfort in the moment. The Fixit holders are made for bottle holder mounting, but the only report of loss was from outside mounting (though on a downhill mountain leap). I keep mine bagged under the seat. I DO think the sticks are as strong as tool bag tools, thus a bit stronger than a Swiss style multi tool. Ymmv.
Old 05-23-22, 01:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

have your franchise warranty out the 1/4 anvil for a 1/4 hex bit adapter
I could consider that but I really don't need it, this one is perfect for my needs.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-23-22, 06:14 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
I have a very nice little kit from Mineral. It looks a lot like TCS' home made one, but the handle is not ratcheted, and is magnetic. I think it is out of production which is a pity.
It does have the potential problem of small bits and pieces falling into the tall grass.
Old 05-24-22, 11:16 AM
truthseeker14

Bikes: Soma Double Cross DC, Bridgestone T-700 (1985)

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 15 Posts
I like the versatility of the "L" shaped hex wrenches. Gives better angles of approach to what ever I'm trying to get at. I cut out a piece of dense foam and drilled holes for the wrenches and other stuff. In that set up there's also a torx bit, an adapter for a presta valve, and a fitting for a CO2 cartridge. the screw driver has phillips and flat. Could use a mini-vise grips. not included are a patch kit and tire levers.